Proteins....

Midnight

I've always wondered what protein powders are good and ones that aren't and really don't know where to look. I don't enjoy trying new things, but am getting tired of the one I've been using.

If anyone has any suggestions or use any protein powders that they enjoy please share.

• Administrators

Over use of proteins will turn your body to acidic which will result in joint pain, bone issues in long run, indigestion issues, etc etc and many other issues going forward. If you are going to digest and will use all the protein intake it's good for you other wise over use is big no no. 

Start with natural protein source: Sprouted beans, regular beans, cereals, yogurt, etc.. Yogurt becomes very good for health if you blend it in mixture with water for couple of minutes. 

Only give protein to your body which your liver can handle and stomach can digest.

• Like 4

Let me ask what are you looking to take protein shacks for?

I go to the gym regularly during the week. I'd prefer to have a protein shake after the workout, seeing as I am not big on meat.  Sometimes I'll have a protein shake in the morning. As of late I've been using a Brown Rice protein powder that I get at the local Whole Foods.

Over use of proteins will turn your body to acidic which will result in joint pain, bone issues in long run, indigestion issues, etc etc and many other issues going forward. If you are going to digest and will use all the protein intake it's good for you other wise over use is big no no. 

Start with natural protein source: Sprouted beans, regular beans, cereals, yogurt, etc.. Yogurt becomes very good for health if you blend it in mixture with water for couple of minutes. 

Only give protein to your body which your liver can handle and stomach can digest.

I would love to have yogurt, but cannot due to the lactose. I've tried Greek, but cannot get past the texture.  I do high protein vegetables and grains, but as far as meat and fish not so much, primarily because I don't have the taste for them.

Usually it's 2tbs per serving.

Currently my protein shake is as follows:

2 tbs Brown Rice protein Powder

2 tbs Ground Flax Seed

1/2 cup frozen berries

1 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk

1/2 large banana

2 tbs Ground Flax Seed

1/2 cup frozen berries

1/2 large banana

---This seems really good. Going to try. 

I work out 2-3 hrs per day. I am very careful about what i put into my body. I always try and go with natural protein like Daredevil said. I usually have 4-7 eggs in the morning

• Administrators

Take 1 tbs ginger powder.. 45 min before lunch to pump up digestion and improve overall blood circulation. It would help a lot in cold weather also. 

2 tbs Ground Flax Seed

1/2 cup frozen berries

1/2 large banana

---This seems really good. Going to try. 

I work out 2-3 hrs per day. I am very careful about what i put into my body. I always try and go with natural protein like Daredevil said. I usually have 4-7 eggs in the morning

It's good. It took me several days to get used to the powder, but after it's decent.  I've mixed it with other frozen fruit mixes and berries seem to be the best. I'm not a fan of eggs either unless smothered in cheese. :P

You could also talk to vyder since he started working with a new company - http://www.soylent.me/#/

I thought I read something somewhere about this and why not to use it. I'm going to have to look around again.

Take 1 tbs ginger powder.. 45 min before lunch to pump up digestion and improve overall blood circulation. It would help a lot in cold weather also. 

Okay. I was reading something on Spartan Race site about ginger and it's benefits. I need something though that'll help with muscle growth and repair. I have a high metabolism already, but I may try this.  Just throw it in a shake or water?

Edit: Ahh, the gym c: And if you don't really like meat and fish, nuts can also contain much proteins, do you like almonds or peanuts or walnuts or something like that?

May I ask why you want to use protein powders? Do you want to build muscles or something or do you just want to get enough proteins in your body?

I'm not sure if protein powders are very good for you, I heard they sometimes use genetically modified organisms which can produce toxins, and these toxins can cause diseases. I also heard that they get the powder by heating a product or something (I don't really know how it works D: ..) but maybe the proteins are going to denaturate when the temperature is too high, so the proteins mostly lose their function... Anyway... I don't have any experience with protein powders and I don't know if it's really that bad, but... In my opinion it's better to eat the natural food, so you know for sure it's - most of the time - healthy ;p.

Maybe you can eat almonds, yogurt, milk, mussels, tuna, salmon, cottage cheese and of course: eggs. Wow okay, I also could have said just this sentence without all the bs above lol o.o.

May I ask why you want to use protein powders? Do you want to build muscles or something or do you just want to get enough proteins in your body?

I'm not sure if protein powders are very good for you, I heard they sometimes use genetically modified organisms which can produce toxins, and these toxins can cause diseases. I also heard that they get the powder by heating a product or something (I don't really know how it works D: ..) but maybe the proteins are going to denaturate when the temperature is too high, so the proteins mostly lose their function... Anyway... I don't have any experience with protein powders and I don't know if it's really that bad, but... In my opinion it's better to eat the natural food, so you know for sure it's - most of the time - healthy ;p.

Maybe you can eat almonds, yogurt, milk, mussels, tuna, salmon, cottage cheese and of course: eggs. Wow okay, I also could have said just this sentence without all the bs above lol o.o.

Well all this rap about protein powders and the negative effects is new to me. I don't consume large amounts of protein and after working out, that first thing I want is a burger, which would counteract any good that I did. I don't live close to the gym so I need something that in the 40 minutes it takes me to get home from the gym will take care of the crave for protein.

I already snack on almonds. But anything dairy related I cannot consume; lactose intolerant. So the protein powder would accompany a shake and only in small portions.

• Administrators

Okay. I was reading something on Spartan Race site about ginger and it's benefits. I need something though that'll help with muscle growth and repair. I have a high metabolism already, but I may try this.  Just throw it in a shake or water?

In water. You can start with 1/2 tbs ginger + 1/2 turmeric powder in 1/4 glass of water. Just mix it in glass and drink it up. Use turmeric every alternate days and you can use ginger every day till u go for protein shakes.  I take ginger powder every day 1 hr before lunch since some anti bio-tics had f***ed up my blood circulation couple of months back.

Any high protein dates upon digestion creates acidic substances and to balance that out ginger helps. 

Don't stay on same mix of protein source for more then 7 days at max. Try to keep changing stuff in it.  Never mix milk with strawberry, lemon, grapes, etc or any high Vit C food. Causes skin issues for many people in few months/years which results in eczema , Psoriasis, etc. 

• Like 1

I've always used casein protein for my breakfast and whey protein after working out. Both from Optimum Nutrition. Casein or cottage cheese before bed if you really going gung ho. 

In water. You can start with 1/2 tbs ginger + 1/2 turmeric powder in 1/4 glass of water. Just mix it in glass and drink it up. Use turmeric every alternate days and you can use ginger every day till u go for protein shakes.  I take ginger powder every day 1 hr before lunch since some anti bio-tics had f***ed up my blood circulation couple of months back.

Any high protein dates upon digestion creates acidic substances and to balance that out ginger helps. 

Don't stay on same mix of protein source for more then 7 days at max. Try to keep changing stuff in it.  Never mix milk with strawberry, lemon, grapes, etc or any high Vit C food. Causes skin issues for many people in few months/years which results in eczema , Psoriasis, etc. 

So don't do the ginger/turmeric when you are taking protein shakes? Or can they be done the same day?

Also is that reg milk you are talking about with the fruits?

I've always used casein protein for my breakfast and whey protein after working out. Both from Optimum Nutrition. Casein or cottage cheese before bed if you really going gung ho. 

I like whey protein and always ask for it in my smoothie when I go to Tropical Smoothie. Is Optimum Nutrition the one you get a Wal-mart. And no cottage cheese! :wacko:  Also I have no idea what casein is...

Optimum Nutrition is typically considered the best when considering flavor and price per serving. Whey is a fast acting protein, best taken around workout time (before/after). Casein is a slow acting protein, best taken before sleep or at meals.

• Like 1