Building my first pc (eventually)

ronaldounit0

So one of my friends came to help me a few minutes ago with suggestions on parts and he came up with this list: 

post-13964-0-32317600-1395935350_thumb.png

Is this one better? 

Sorry I keep asking so many questions, I'm new to this and $500 is a lot for me right now so I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can! 

Considering the budget, that is actually better

Awesome, thanks! I'm looking up as many choices as I can and making a final decision when I'm sure I have what I need. But when I get my final build list I'll be  :yahoo

On a side note, anyone want their car washed and detailed? haha

Never buy old videocards. Since videocards are heavily driver related always take the newest out of it.

can't say that....

the 57xx were beasts... they did almost everything you wanted them too - and had a large oc potential with stock coolers - at least my one had...

and - if u say never buy old video cards - tell me why geforce 8800gtx are sold around 250 bucks on ebay?

cuz it's one of the best cards ever built - except for the needed powerplant next to it!

and honestly: the 7750 is not really better then the 5770... only the power consumption is like half or something...

if you want a better one, go for a 6850 and buy a used one - amazon says starting at 60 dollars.... there u go with a much better card - and it wont hurt like **** when it dies after a year or two...

edit 2: just by the way: i just read about the 750ti somewhere above... naaaaaah you won't want that :-D

look at this page, it may help you with your decision!

and please - don't make a choice because of 50 watts difference...

http://www.hwcompare.com/17356/geforce-gtx-750-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

edit: actually - do for the 6850... thats probably the best vga deal i've seen in years...

Edited by Jacker
  • Like 1

So one of my friends came to help me a few minutes ago with suggestions on parts and he came up with this list: 

attachicon.gifBuild List 1.PNG

Is this one better? 

Sorry I keep asking so many questions, I'm new to this and $500 is a lot for me right now so I want to make sure I'm doing the best I can! 

Yes mate, this one will do a great job, even for newer games!

• Like 1

can't say that....

the 57xx were beasts... they did almost everything you wanted them too - and had a large oc potential with stock coolers - at least my one had...

and - if u say never buy old video cards - tell me why geforce 8800gtx are sold around 250 bucks on ebay?

cuz it's one of the best cards ever built - except for the needed powerplant next to it!

and honestly: the 7750 is not really better then the 5770... only the power consumption is like half or something...

if you want a better one, go for a 6850 and buy a used one - amazon says starting at 60 dollars.... there u go with a much better card - and it wont hurt like **** when it dies after a year or two...

edit 2: just by the way: i just read about the 750ti somewhere above... naaaaaah you won't want that :-D

look at this page, it may help you with your decision!

and please - don't make a choice because of 50 watts difference...

http://www.hwcompare.com/17356/geforce-gtx-750-ti-vs-radeon-hd-6850/

edit: actually - do for the 6850... thats probably the best vga deal i've seen in years...

So can I use the list my friend made except swap out the 750ti with the 6850? Is it compatible with the rest of the build?

And thanks so much Motafied! :D

So can I use the list my friend made except swap out the 750ti with the 6850? Is it compatible with the rest of the build?

Personally, i see nothing wrong with 750ti but choosing 6850 will maximize your budget as it is cheaper than the 750ti

On a side note, anyone want their car washed and detailed? haha

My car badly needs that..when are you going to start? Hahaha if only you're near
  • Like 1

Don´t know about those S- and P-series CPU-s. They are cut down, energy efficient versions of "true" i5-s, only for 10$ you´d get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234 with more Turbe Boost. I don´t get why else to use those CPUs than in mITX\office PCs. And for budget build i3 is more than enough.

About graphics, I´d still go with r9 270 as its newer and as you are still waiting with the build then you can keep an eye on AMDs Mantle developmeant, on budget builds it gives already promising results(preliminary driver tests). And yes GTX750ti is more energy efficient but r9 270 does give results too for extra 20$ or so and wattage. According to this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-9.html

On motherboard I´d check the extras you get: SATA(HDD) support and USB3.0 support in rear and front panel. Chose that Biostar mobo with B85 chipset instead of H61 as it gets for little bit more money more extras.

Also when choosing parts keep in mind physical and electrical compatibility. PSU has to power up mobo: 4+4pin and 24pin cables, also 2x 6pin cables for graphics.

And to your case graphics card must fit in length and height, also CPU and its cooler must fit in height(with stock its not that big problem).

Its good to take off the side panel of some PC and take PSU and mobo manuals beside and look where goes which parts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice Van! I'll keep an eye on what AMD is doing like you said and I'll try to watch some videos on computer builds to familiarize myself. 

Thanks for the advice Van! I'll keep an eye on what AMD is doing like you said and I'll try to watch some videos on computer builds to familiarize myself. 

to familiarize yourself i would suggest this.

it's my reference chart when it comes to Hardware Updates & Budged stuff.

• Like 1

well....

before we spend years on debating about what is best - let's check one thing: what exactly is wanted?

do we want to build a desktop pc for a reason, or what?

ronaldo asked for the following:

I can run CoD4, Skyrim, and Fallout New Vegas on low settings currently, so I'd like to be able to play these with medium settings reliably (no graphics card overheating.....) with my future pc build. 

EDIT: Ideally I'd like to have 8 or so gigs of RAM because I will be using it a bit for school as well.

I have a very low budget of around $500. 

so by now we are building a pc for exactly that... surely, we should keep an eye on future games - and of course we don't want to build something, that is not uppgradable!

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor 108 dollar

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard 129 dollar

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 75 dollar

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 60 dollar

Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 45 dollar

Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 40 dollar

is a system that will be the closest to "up-to-date" that we will get.

up to this point it costs 457 dollar  minus 69 dollars of some rebates and mail in stuff. so we have a total of 388 dollar.

adding a gtx 750 ti for 165 dollars makes us blow up to 553 dollars.

if we add a 6850, we end up at 468 dollars.

anyways, i would change the psu (if you choose the 6850, you will have to!!!) in any scenario. going for at least 550 Watt (e.g. Corsair CS550M) for 80 dollars - which would sum up to 508 dollars...

anyways - it's your decision!

i can only say, that these components will do a very good job - allowing you to go for MAX settings in COD4 and pretty sure skyrim and new vegas as well!

Edited by Jacker
  • Like 1

if we want to build a computer for exactly what you want - we can surely stay below 400 dollars... but if you want to upgrade it in a year or two - you will be f****d ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the chart LU! 

And thanks so much Jacker, I'm going to compile all of the lists I've gotten over the next few days and post them here to see which is best (and from the looks, we might have a winner right here haha). 

Again, the help is very appreciated guys! 

As much as I´d like to support AMD as Intels main competitor their CPU-s are drawing just too much power and unlike AMDs GPU-s they don´t give the performance for it also. As games mostly use 1 or max 2 cores and i3\i5 have best performance per core then AMD CPU-s are waste of money and electricity in my eyes. Intel CPU-s 65W vs AMD 125W. With Intel CPU on 12V rail: 65W(CPU)+100W(mobo)+200W(r9 270, r7 260 would draw less)= 360W which should be supported by good PSU-s. With AMD add 65W and you´d get 420W and have to pick PSU from next tier 550W or more....

And as i already explained those 2 graphics are not the best, also I´d mention every new generation adds new technologies: directX support, PCI express updates etc: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx#2, http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/R7/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-r7-series.aspx#4.

When looking for new mobo its also importent that PCI express 3.0 is supported. I mean if you pay 5$ more for next gen technology for 1 mobo and other mobo is made to cheap to support it, then why not pick the best already.

• Like 1

Good points! So you're saying that intel is a better bet? Then which would be better, a great i3, or an ok i5? (keep in mind my budget).  And I'll keep an eye out for the PCI express 3.0 compatibility. 

:thanks