New Toys!

SiD

Sup!

Really vibin' right now and had to share. just went out and got me some new toys!

While I have been using computers for almost 2 decades now, most of my knowledge is software related. I just started thinking about, and looking into hardware. So yeah, I'm a damned n00b. :D

After realizing I want better options when it comes to GPU, I went out and picked up a new card. Sadly the card was a little big for my case, so I wound up getting a new case, and PSU!  Now... I'm going to put it all together in the new case. Hah.

This will be my second attempt ever at doing something hardware related. The first was changing a hard drive in my laptop and that was cakewalk. Something tells me this won't be as easy...

Here's a few pics of the new toys still in boxes:

New Case... Corsair Carbide Series 200R

tumblr_n1u1nqcFyG1sv5xlxo1_500.jpg

PSU... EVGA  Supernova NEX750B

tumblr_n1u1nqcFyG1sv5xlxo2_1280.jpg

Card- Asus Geforce GTX 780

tumblr_n1u1nqcFyG1sv5xlxo3_1280.jpg

And a bonus, I got a free copy og Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag :D

tumblr_n1u1nqcFyG1sv5xlxo4_1280.jpg

Pretty excited to put this together. Nervous as hell too. A lot of wiring to figure out...  I don't want to f*** this up. LOL

• Like 3

Remember to discharge your body from static electric by touching central heating, sink or some other big metal object before touching mobo and CPU and graphics.

GTX 780 is a beast graphics card so with one HD monitor you shouldn´t have problems to use Ultra settings.

Good luck putting the puzzle together ;)

If you need any help then ask.

• Like 1

Man this thing is balls to the wall time consuming lol

I figured out how to remove the outer walls of the new case which will make feeding wires so much easier.

Power supply went in smooth as a baby's bottom. Looks pretty sexy sitting in there so far. Got the old GFX card out fairly easy, man it looks so tiny compared to the 780 lol

The motherboard was a f***ing **** to get out. Seriously, acer... I don't know man. They make shit f***in' complicated! Had wires in pretty stupid places... I mean, I know nothing about this, but it was pretty evident. Dumbassery.

But it's now out and into the new case. Next is the harddrive, and maybe the dvd drive. May need a new one of those. I will look into SSD for sure. :D

The hard part will be figuring out where all the connections go. Hah.

Will post pics of progress later. Video once I'm done. :D

• Like 1

Be sure when you move your Motherboard over, you also move the metal plate on the back connections from the old case to the new or you'll just have a gaping hole.

Remember that your new video card needs good airflow, so cable clutter is a no-no. Make that case as clean as possible. Running wires and cables in behind the motherboard is a good way to keep it cleaned up

• Like 1

...That 780!! /drool

Please post a pic when it's all done. I literally can't get enough of system builds.

Great choice of PSU and chassis! Corsair products, IMHO, live up to the price and hype. My system is almost 100% Corsair ^^

What CPU do you have? Might have to upgrade that too so the GPU isn't zooming ahead and causing, albeit minor, bottlenecks!

• Like 1

Man what a night. it's now 3:32am and I'm spent.

Good news! I just finished installing new Nvidia drivers ;D

Going to do a quick test and then get some sleep. Will detail what went down and how long it took lol  Also, thanks for the advice on cables. Right now it's a mess..but now that I know where everything goes I can organize it better.

@Zombie  i7 3770@3.4ghz  Probably best part of my old system lol Will upgrade when more cash falls into my hands :D

• Like 1

EL OH EL OH EL OH EL!!!!!

HOLY SHIT!!

With basic config tweeks for CoD4, pre 780...

With my 420M... about 30-60 FPS tops.

The 630 gt?  40-115FPS. 115 being like no explosions, no one around.

With 780 and updated drivers?.... 330+ FPS!!!! THROUGH AIRSTRIKES AND OTHER PEOPLE... I could maybe play full graphics and still get  a decent framerate now lol!

WOW. That is insane!!  Everything was so...so...smooth... like butter. A whole new game.

Alright really going to bed this time. Mind = Blown...  So much more to test haha

:D well you can't compare and laptop gpus to desktop ones. You also got one of the best GPU's made to date :D Glad it kicks ass :yahoo I bet it was also rewarding doing that yourself and now I bet you could do it MUCH faster next time around. 

Also, thanks for the advice on cables. Right now it's a mess..but now that I know where everything goes I can organize it better.

@Zombie  i7 3770@3.4ghz  Probably best part of my old system lol Will upgrade when more cash falls into my hands :D

I guarantee next time you open her up to organize the cables you'll take much longer! When I re-built my system recently I spent an hour putting the parts together and 7 hours trying to hide all the cables!

Also great CPU! That entire system should have 0 problems running BF4 on max settings much less CoD4.

Yeah I just glanced over the cables now and almost don't even want to touch it... LOL But, I must prevail!

@Tulsa  Yeam man, I'm really happy I did this myself. It was a learning experience. I now know how the things like the CPU/Mobo are powered, I actually kind of now understand what the motherboard really is, and how things are wired. Self taught is so much more rewarding :D

As for last night, here's what I went through...

Installing the PSU? Easy shit. Pretty much slide n'screw.

As for the rest... jesus christ.

First I removed all of the wires to the Mobo. Then i had to remove the old gfx card, and then my wireless card (yes, my desktop had wireless!)...

Then I had to remove the dvd drive to access one screw in the mobo. Once all screws were out, I had to fight with the faceplateof the mobo to get it out (where all the usb ports are). I didn't realize it was something that merely snapped in.

That took a good 30 mins easily. Also, there was no backing plate for the Mobo... Acer does things really f***ed up. The whole chasis of the tower, is one solid piece. So you only have access basically from one side, with a few open holes in the back for feeding wires. Speaking of which, the wires in this thing were a clusterf***. You should see the mess I made lol

Anyway, once I got the mobo screwed in, the hardest part came. Rewiring. Stupidly, I didn't really get a good look at my old system... so this is where the learning came in. Stuff like cpu, mobo power etc was alright. Basically lego shape shit. However!! Power led +/-? HDD led? Power/reset? f*** that noise. 2 hours spent trying to figure it out. I have a shitty mobo from acer... It's like archaic compared to the ones I was researching last night. Nothing is labeled all that well. To top it off, NO SCHEMATICS EXIST FOR THE THING. So using schematics of other mobos... I kind of had a general idea where they go, then spent a good 35 mins of trial and error of getting them working. I plugged in the pc and turned it on, connecting them until the power or leds turned on lol

After that, the gfx card went in nicely. Corsair makes a really good case btw... Most screws can be twisted with fingers, and stuff like the harddrive.. lock in place without the need of additional screws. How kick ass is that?!

The only issue I had after that was the hard drive... I connected it to the mobo and turned the computer on. Nothing happened... I was kind of freakin' out because a forum online mentioned sometimes it's because a HD crashed. Nope.. turns out, I forgot the power supply  HAH. After that it booted up like normal and all I had to do was set up new drivers :)

Sadly, this case has two fans.. and my mobo only has room for one sys fan :(  So I may need a new mobo in the future. Also my dvd drive is a slim...so it won't fit the new case so I gotta buy a new one.. And the way they wires up the wireless antenna won't fit the new case, but that's no big loss.

If I buy a new mobo, how will it affect my system? Will I lose anything or does that all stay with my windows/hard drive?