What to replace my current (broken) LC setup with.

Decimate

My PC has been overheating recently even playing cod4 it will run 85C and then turn off. I went to look at my liquid cooler to see what was wrong, and I found out that the pump completely stopped working. I want to figure out the best way to fix this issue, also I bought the liquid cooler with the PC it was an all in 1 no maintenance LC with a life expectancy of 3-5 years. It died after 2 years. So I'm looking for advice onto how to fix this issue because I'm new to cooling systems.

The life expectancy of the pump will be based on an average number of hours per day, depending on how much more you run your PC, that could be accurate having a 2 year life span.

You can grab a new complete LC setup for $50

A decent heatsink and fan will run you about $10-$20

• Administrators

The life expectancy of the pump will be based on an average number of hours per day, depending on how much more you run your PC, that could be accurate having a 2 year life span.

You can grab a new complete LC setup for $50

A decent heatsink and fan will run you about $10-$20

$50 bucks? My LC setup with 2 quad fan radiatiors (16 fans) and 2 780 water blocks costs almost 800 bucks when you include the fans. That is LC setup alone, without accounting any other computer parts.

$50 bucks? My LC setup with 2 quad fan radiatiors (16 fans) and 2 780 water blocks costs almost 800 bucks when you include the fans. That is LC setup alone, without accounting any other computer parts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146028

Unless this isn't considered a true liquid cooling unit? These units are made to be self contained, and already filled at the factory now. The pumps are integrated into the block that mounts to the CPU. The cooler lines and radiator are all permanently assembled, The only thing you really have to attach is the fan.

The setup you've got is obviously far more advanced and of higher quality, but the units now are made to be much more affordable and faster/easier to install for the average PC user to enjoy the benefits of a LC CPU cooler setup. And yes these do actually work, the single fan unit that I linked is what I have, and it lowers CPU temps 17 degrees Celsius over a standard aluminum heatsink with a copper core, and a fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146028

Unless this isn't considered a true liquid cooling unit? These units are made to be self contained, and already filled at the factory now. The pumps are integrated into the block that mounts to the CPU. The cooler lines and radiator are all permanently assembled, The only thing you really have to attach is the fan.

The setup you've got is obviously far more advanced and of higher quality, but the units now are made to be much more affordable and faster/easier to install for the average PC user to enjoy the benefits of a LC CPU cooler setup. And yes these do actually work, the single fan unit that I linked is what I have, and it lowers CPU temps 17 degrees Celsius over a standard aluminum heatsink with a copper core, and a fan.

This is pretty much what I had, almost exactly except mine has no brand name on it.

Well if your cpu came with a stock heat sink just put that back on, then you can use you pc until its fixed.

and if oc return to stock clock

It did not.

I'm also not sure if the LC I had was adequate enough to cool my system.

Edited by Decimate

I have now second one LC going, cause it was still on warranty so I just got it as replace. But it's cheap (around 70$) and keep my 30% overclocked processor cool enough.

First one was running like 1,5years (or someting) and there was some quality issue on that version, this one sounds and seem working nicely.

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooling-cpu_cooler/kuhler-h2o-620/0-761345-77085-9.aspx

Masa_1964

This is pretty much what I had, almost exactly except mine has no brand name on it.

It did not.

I'm also not sure if the LC I had was adequate enough to cool my system.

As long as the pump ran properly, and the radiator fan worked, it should have cooled better than a standard fan and heatsink.

I'm using an AMD 3.9 ghz 6core CPU, not currently overclocked, and it cools perfectly. I tried out my OC software when I installed the LC setup, and it just kept overclocking like a mofo, and temps didn't touch where they were with a fan.

What makes you think it wasn't adequate enough to cool your CPU? If your BIOS has thermal protection, you would have had a shutdown automatically if the CPU got too hot. Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: I'm also not sure what CPU you have, or if it'll work for yours.. but the first link I posted above is the model cooler I have. I am currently running 2 browsers simultaneously, xfire, and ET right along with whatever other crap runs in the background on Windows7,

With the fan and heatsink, my CPU used to run at 56C.

CPU temp is currently 34C and the highest I have seen is 37C (That's 93.2F, and 98.6F to give you an idea)

Motherboard temp is 27C

Pump is running @ 1088rpm, Radiator fan running at 2327rpm

$8OO bucks? My whole (used) computer, including monitor, mouse, and keyboard cost about half that much.

.... I don't have a point.

I'm just jealous.

• Like 1

As long as the pump ran properly, and the radiator fan worked, it should have cooled better than a standard fan and heatsink.

I'm using an AMD 3.9 ghz 6core CPU, not currently overclocked, and it cools perfectly. I tried out my OC software when I installed the LC setup, and it just kept overclocking like a mofo, and temps didn't touch where they were with a fan.

What makes you think it wasn't adequate enough to cool your CPU? If your BIOS has thermal protection, you would have had a shutdown automatically if the CPU got too hot. Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: I'm also not sure what CPU you have, or if it'll work for yours.. but the first link I posted above is the model cooler I have. I am currently running 2 browsers simultaneously, xfire, and ET right along with whatever other crap runs in the background on Windows7,

With the fan and heatsink, my CPU used to run at 56C.

CPU temp is currently 34C and the highest I have seen is 37C (That's 93.2F, and 98.6F to give you an idea)

Motherboard temp is 27C

Pump is running @ 1088rpm, Radiator fan running at 2327rpm

My PC right now is running 63C with firefox open and cod4 open(tabbed of course) and Skype.  My Mainboard is at 43C

I'm don't know how to check my pump RPM's although I'm pretty sure they'd be 0. Also I do have thermal protection I think it shuts off at 90C.

Edited by Decimate

My PC right now is running 63C with firefox open and cod4 open(tabbed of course) and Skype.  My Mainboard is at 43C

I'm don't know how to check my pump RPM's although I'm pretty sure they'd be 0. Also I do have thermal protection I think it shuts off at 90C.

If you visit the manufacturer's website of your motherboard, they may have software to download that will do this for you. Otherwise, there may be some 3rd party software that could do the same thing.

$8OO bucks? My whole (used) computer, including monitor, mouse, and keyboard cost about half that much.

.... I don't have a point.

I'm just jealous.

Ikr? I have a friend who has a $3k PC. I don't play with him anymore…lol

If you visit the manufacturer's website of your motherboard, they may have software to download that will do this for you. Otherwise, there may be some 3rd party software that could do the same thing.

I updated bios to no avail I'm going to have to scour google for this.

I updated bios to no avail I'm going to have to scour google for this.

It wouldn't be part of most BIOS updates, only a few later model motherboards have this feature incorporated into BIOS. This would be a program that you download and install into windows, and would be under a Programs/utilitities section of your motherboard support download page.

There is also a possibility that your CPU manufacturer would offer software like this as well.