Gamma Correction Script

Scortch

ET allows a player to set their screen brightness (gamma) to a max of 2.0, but most ET servers will allow a gamma of up to 3.0.  A player can therefore legally set their gamma 33.3% brighter than the game settings allow.  Different maps are also sometimes better with more or less gamma depending on variables such as team choice, night or day, sandy, snowy, etc, etc, etc....

This script allows players to take advantage of that. Run the script and you are good to go. Once installed it becomes a simple matter of pressing F7 to correct brightness down or F8 to correct brightness up (max 3.0).

To use this script:

-copy the text below to notepad.

-Save the file to your ET main folder as gamma.cfg

-open ET

-open the console

-type "/exec gamma" (without quotes) and hit enter

-restart ET

-enjoy easy instant in-game gamma correction.

NOTE: I did not write this script. As far as I know, this script was written by a fellow named "gunclap". I am only sharing it here, I am NOT taking credit for it. It works well. ...No More Dark Maps!! Yipee!

SETA gamma00 "SET r_gamma 0.0; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma30; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma01; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.0"
SETA gamma01 "SET r_gamma 0.1; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma00; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma02; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.1"
SETA gamma02 "SET r_gamma 0.2; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma01; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma03; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.2"
SETA gamma03 "SET r_gamma 0.3; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma02; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma04; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.3"
SETA gamma04 "SET r_gamma 0.4; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma03; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma05; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.4"
SETA gamma05 "SET r_gamma 0.5; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma04; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma06; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.5"
SETA gamma06 "SET r_gamma 0.6; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma05; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma07; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.6"
SETA gamma07 "SET r_gamma 0.7; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma06; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma08; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.7"
SETA gamma08 "SET r_gamma 0.8; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma07; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma09; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.8"
SETA gamma09 "SET r_gamma 0.9; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma08; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma10; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E0.9"
SETA gamma10 "SET r_gamma 1.0; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma09; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma11; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.0"
SETA gamma11 "SET r_gamma 1.1; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma10; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma12; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.1"
SETA gamma12 "SET r_gamma 1.2; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma11; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma13; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.2"
SETA gamma13 "SET r_gamma 1.3; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma12; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma14; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.3"
SETA gamma14 "SET r_gamma 1.4; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma13; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma15; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.4"
SETA gamma15 "SET r_gamma 1.5; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma14; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma16; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.5"
SETA gamma16 "SET r_gamma 1.6; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma15; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma17; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.6"
SETA gamma17 "SET r_gamma 1.7; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma16; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma18; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.7"
SETA gamma18 "SET r_gamma 1.8; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma17; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma19; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.8"
SETA gamma19 "SET r_gamma 1.9; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma18; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma20; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E1.9"
SETA gamma20 "SET r_gamma 2.0; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma19; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma21; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.0"
SETA gamma21 "SET r_gamma 2.1; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma20; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma22; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.1"
SETA gamma22 "SET r_gamma 2.2; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma21; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma23; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.2"
SETA gamma23 "SET r_gamma 2.3; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma22; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma24; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.3"
SETA gamma24 "SET r_gamma 2.4; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma23; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma25; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.4"
SETA gamma25 "SET r_gamma 2.5; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma24; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma26; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.5"
SETA gamma26 "SET r_gamma 2.6; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma25; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma27; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.6"
SETA gamma27 "SET r_gamma 2.7; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma26; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma28; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.7"
SETA gamma28 "SET r_gamma 2.8; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma27; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma29; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.8"
SETA gamma29 "SET r_gamma 2.9; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma28; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma30; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E2.9"
SETA gamma30 "SET r_gamma 3.0; SET gammaDown Vstr gamma29; SET gammaUp Vstr gamma00; ECHO ^7Gamma ^E3.0"
SETA gammaDown "Vstr gamma21"
SETA gammaUp "Vstr gamma23"
BIND F7 "Vstr gammaDown"
BIND F8 "Vstr gammaUp"

Edited by Scortch
  • Like 1

r_mapoverbrightbits 3

r_overbrightbits 3 or 2

r_intensity 1.5

no more dark map

Thanks for your input.

These look like something that would complement the Gamma Correction Script quite well. Unfortunately I know just enough about config files to get me in trouble.  While I have heard of 'overbrightbits', I haven't found much info on them that I could use. The Gamma Correction Script allows slight adjustments up or down to everything in real time without interfering with gameplay. Basically, a player can change the brightness of everything all at once at any time. The settings you have supplied look to be attached to specific objects in the maps. Which objects? Are these settings a one time thing?  Set them and forget them? How should I set them? EXEC? SETA? Should I add them to my cfg or just set them in console? 

Advice is never unappreciated.

• Like 1

I dont want bright maps anymore, I want smooth, darkish, clear map, thats why I like to play with this:

Maybe I'm missing something? I find that I can't see a thing without the gamma set to 2.7 at least and most of the time I just leave it at 3.  That's why this Gamma Correction Script works so well for me.

I read your cfg. Tutorial and I had to laugh when I came to this part:  "For example if you want to make some cool(or irritating) ASCII smiles what you can spam on server or you want to make different settings for every map(via autoexecuting), just search it on the almighty interweb."  I had to laugh because I've Been There-Done That .

I will read more and likely I will learn more. I think I may even open a thread in the ET Support forum and ask a few questions.

Hi

r_overbrightbits and mapoverbrightbits are better than gamma adjustments normally. Gamma is usually ok at 2.0 and then just move mapoverbrightbits from 1 to 2. for MLB temple I use 1 all others normally 2. and its an easy script.

Bind *key* set r_mapoverbrightbits 1 and bind *key* set r_mapoverbrightbits 2

:)

• Like 1

r_ignorehwgamma 1....

Most of the "pro" (for the lack of a better word) configs will be using this setting.  A gamma script such at this becomes useless because you have to do a vid_restart before the settings will change.  If you didn't make your own config and downloaded someone elses then this is more than likely the cause.

Great script for pub only players who don't use a config with ignorehwgamma set to 1.  Custom maps tend to be horribly lit.

• Like 1

Hi

r_overbrightbits and mapoverbrightbits are better than gamma adjustments normally. Gamma is usually ok at 2.0 and then just move mapoverbrightbits from 1 to 2. for MLB temple I use 1 all others normally 2. and its an easy script.

Bind *key* set r_mapoverbrightbits 1 and bind *key* set r_mapoverbrightbits 2

:)

Hello Barnie,

Thank you for the info.  I changed the overbrightbits in my config and....wow, what a difference!  I remember playing around with these setting about a year ago, and not really knowing what I was doing, I made a mess of my config and I had to reinstall ET to fix it.  Then I played with playing around with config files others had made available. Again, not knowing exactly what I was doing led to a little bit of trouble.  Those days may be behind me.

r_ignorehwgamma 1....

Most of the "pro" (for the lack of a better word) configs will be using this setting.  A gamma script such at this becomes useless because you have to do a vid_restart before the settings will change.  If you didn't make your own config and downloaded someone elses then this is more than likely the cause.

Great script for pub only players who don't use a config with ignorehwgamma set to 1.  Custom maps tend to be horribly lit.

I cannot wait to try this setting next. With F!A's help this game is beginning to almost feel like a new game to me. Again, Thanks.

Seeing many wrong settings, I had to make my input in this topic.

r_ignorehwgamma 1 (with this one on 1 you will need to use a vid_restart even for r_gamma)

r_mapoverbrightbits 3 (between 0 and 3)

r_overbrightbits 1 (it's 0 or 1 nothing else)

r_gamma 3

r_intensity 1.5 (above is not possible)

r_vertexlight 1

r_vertexlighting 1

vid_restart

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 2

Ann!b@l,

lol....Well I am slightly confused again.

So a couple of questions then. (For anyone kind enough to reply).

If I use the SETA command (instead of SET) in a config file to make these changes, then I only need to make them once, right? After doing a vid_restart or restarting the game the settings should be made permanently a part of my config, right?

Further, if I were to bind some of the variables to a key (such as with the Gamma Correction Script or such as Barnie suggested above with the mapoverbrightbits keybind.) then I can then tweak those settings on a map by map basis without running separate configs for different maps. Excepting, of course. those settings such as ignorehwgamma which will always require a vid_restart before taking effect.) Correct?

It's funny, I started this topic to maybe help someone else improve their play time, and it appears as though I am the one benefiting.

Thanks is starting to sound redundant, but here it is again, Thanks.

-the best is seta in your config.

-in game load your config with \exec name.cfg. If you took care to finish your cfg by a vid_resart (and there, no need any "\", seta or set) there's no need to do another one again in game.

-in game, use the "\" and then \vid_restart.. Permanent? Not always but at least saved in your profile of the mod/game. So as long you don't delete/reinstall the file(s)/folder/game or it's not messed up, they stay. Sometimes when you arrive on a server/mod a vid_restart is required for some cvars to take effect or just load again your cfg (but beware if you reload it.. Bind done in game and not saved in your cfg will be deleted and will take back the value setted in your cfg). You will notice this kind of situations, this is always mentionned in your console.

-restart the game is not needed. Exception only if you add some cvars in the shortcut of your game. Those will take effect only if you restart it.

-you can bind a key in game without having interfer of your cfg. The one done in game will take the priority since like I told you it's saved in the profile. But at each change of one of these cvars you will need to do a vid_restart, unless to bind one key with many cvars.

-about the r_ignorehwgamma, I meant by there that even r_gamma who has usually no need a vid_restart will need one if you set r_ignorehwgamma on 1. For the rest r_ignorehwgamma, r_mapoverbrightbits, r_overbrightbits, r_intensity always need a vid_restart whatever the value of the each others.

Edited by Ann!b@l
  • Like 1

-the best is seta in your config.

-in game load your config with \exec name.cfg. If you took care to finish your cfg by a vid_resart (and there, no need any "\", seta or set) there's no need to do another one again in game.

-in game, use the "\" and then \vid_restart.. Permanent? Not always but at least saved in your profile of the mod/game. So as long you don't delete/reinstall the file(s)/folder/game or it's not messed up, they stay. Sometimes when you arrive on a server/mod a vid_restart is required for some cvars to take effect or just load again your cfg (but beware if you reload it.. Bind done in game and not saved in your cfg will be deleted and will take back the value setted in your cfg). You will notice this kind of situations, this is always mentionned in your console.

-restart the game is not needed. Exception only if you add some cvars in the shortcut of your game. Those will take effect only if you restart it.

-you can bind a key in game without having interfer of your cfg. The one done in game will take the priority since like I told you it's saved in the profile. But at each change of one of these cvars you will need to do a vid_restart, unless to bind one key with many cvars.

-about the r_ignorehwgamma, I meant by there that even r_gamma who has usually no need a vid_restart will need one if you set r_ignorehwgamma on 1. For the rest r_ignorehwgamma, r_mapoverbrightbits, r_overbrightbits, r_intensity always need a vid_restart whatever the value of the each others.

So I can add these settings to my config like this:

SETA r_ignorehwgamma 1

SETA r_overbrightbits 1

SETA r_intensity 1.5

SETA r_vertexlight 1

SETA r_vertexlighting 1

BIND - set r_mapoverbrightbits 1

BIND + set r_mapoverbrightbits 2

vid_restart

And I can tweak the numerical values (as far as allowed) to find a combination I like, right?

But, if I use the r_ignorehwgamma 1, does that mean the Gamma Correction Script won't work? or can I still use the Gamma Script with these settings?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

r_ignorehwgamma is needed to make sure its ignored or all the tweaks wont work on newer GPU. it all just stays the same. Recently Annibal helped me out with another setting r_picmip its 1-3 or 0. that can also affect hit rate in those slightly laggy maps. Less important these days but I also found I had good results from com_maxfps 186 it displays 200 in fps counter, if you can run at that.

r_ignorehwgamma is needed to make sure its ignored or all the tweaks wont work on newer GPU. it all just stays the same. Recently Annibal helped me out with another setting r_picmip its 1-3 or 0. that can also affect hit rate in those slightly laggy maps. Less important these days but I also found I had good results from com_maxfps 186 it displays 200 in fps counter, if you can run at that.

r_ignorehwgamma simply ignores hardware gamma settings, it will work on every GPU but on 1 you will have to vid_restart.

r_picmip has nothing to do with hit detection nor does it anything on fps as long you have more than 32mb video card memory.

com_maxfps 186 will just default to 200 fps because that's 1000/5. Only values possible for com_maxfps are 1000 / any integer ;)

• Like 4