words of wisdom that may bring a smile

Phobia

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
- The Serenity Prayer (Reinhold Niebuhr)

This was actually used as the text for a banner when one of the members of my guild on d2jsp (gaming forum) came to pass in July..

Thank you :')

• Like 1

Do you really want to know where we come from?" she said. "In every century, in every country, they'll call us something different. They'll say we're ghosts, angels, demons, elemental spirits, and giving us a name doesn't help anybody. When did a name change what someone is?"

Brenna Yovanoff, The Replacement

"There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well."

Nicholas Sparks, A Walk to Remember

• Like 3

“I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naïve or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman.”
- Anais Nin

• Like 3

“Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.”
Henry Miller

• Like 4

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Jim Butcher, Storm Front

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

"People that have trust issues only need to look in the mirror. There they will meet the one person that will betray them the most."

Shannon L. Alder

"Panic is the sudden realization that everything around you is alive."

William S. Burroughs, Ghost of Chance

"More often than not, if a person is wearing a smile, there is a victim attached somewhere."

Donald Gorman, Paradox

• Like 2

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

Dalai Lama XIV

"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."

Gautama Buddha

"I've made peace with myself.

Good for you. That's the hardest war of all to win.

Didn't say I won. Just stopped fighting."

Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold

"You cannot lead a beautiful life with ugly thoughts."

Matshona Dhliwayo

• Like 1

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Jim Butcher, Storm Front

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

"People that have trust issues only need to look in the mirror. There they will meet the one person that will betray them the most."

Shannon L. Alder

"Panic is the sudden realization that everything around you is alive."

William S. Burroughs, Ghost of Chance

"More often than not, if a person is wearing a smile, there is a victim attached somewhere."

Donald Gorman, Paradox

William S. Burroughs is amazing!!!! i like him! did u read naked lunch or junky??

Edited by schNee
  • Like 1

just to many to quote of Aldoux Huxley -  Brave new world:

“Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand.”

------------------

“I wanted to change the world. But I have found that the only thing one can be sure of changing is oneself.”

• Like 1

"If a man asks me for my loyalty...I will give him my honesty.

If a man asks me for my honesty...I will give him my loyalty!"

John Boyd

• Like 1