25% packet loss at router???

Chuckun

Can anyone help me out here.. I have basic knowledge with most modem/router settings, and everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago..

Now I'm getting HIDEOUSLY slow internet, I blamed my ADSL line but actually that is flawless (zero errors / lost packets over 24 hours, according to my router's stats)..

But then the WLAN stats show this:

Transmit Stats:

Tx Frames Count : 800994

Tx Errors Count : 2916

Tx Drop Count : 2916

Receive Stats:

Rx Frames Count : 993361

Rx Errors Count : 252837

Rx Drop Count : 0

The transmit errors are fine.. But wow, almost 25% received packet loss? That's ridiculous..

Any idea what it could be? :/

EDIT: I also see this over and over and over in my router syslog:

9/25/2013 16:24:33> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=804e2af0
9/25/2013 16:24:37> Last errorlog repeat 2 Times

^ the 'repeat 2 times' goes as high as 'repeat 746 times' lol

Edited by Chuckun

I have/had same problem. Now I am on cable and it is better. Inet provider came and checked the router/modem (or whatever it is called) we had and it was on a wrong frequency-so they changed it. Then my bf changed a channel on the router. Dunno what that means-but he said *I changed the channel*-so it works fine now. He said channel we used was overloaded and he changed it. Dunno if that helps. :dntk

Thanks Bona, however the channel I am using is completely unused - I scanned the area for channels and I used channel 3, completely untouched by any neighbouring channels - and it makes zero difference :(

RTS/CTS threshold is set to 2304

Fragmentation threshold is set to 2306

DTIM is set to 1

Bandwidth is 20/40MHZ (auto)

Guard interval is auto (800ms is the only other option)

MCS is set to auto

I see nothing wrong here.. :(

It's happening on multiple systems with different wireless cards..

The errors I'm receiving in the error log are ADSL errors after checking google but the router reports WLAN errors not ADSL errors - so I think it's just full of shit and counting ISP problems as hardware problems.. I will contact my ISP eventually :)

When you mentioned, all wireless cards and PCs were affected, this thing entered my mind. Maybe a strong interference on your area? If you know a RF engineer around your neighborhood, they got this gadget to possibly trace or pinpoint where that interference is coming from. But this is far from scenario I guess, it just entered my mind since we have lots of illegal frequencies and RF engy here around the island.

Am not sure if MTU rate comes as standard to devices of today, but can you check if they are 1500? Just checking.

• Administrators

Relative location of the router in your household, and other electronic devices can have a major negative impact on your connectivity, latency and packet loss. A program like inSSider or netstumbler will give you an indication where is the best place to place your router and give you the accurate picture. My routers are placed throughout my house in such a way that they are at least 20 feet from any other electronic device, I also run an AirTight Networks WIPS AP and see very minimal packet loss (1-3%) overall. As Pinoy pointed out you would need some specialized tools to really figure out what is really going on, but for now the best solution is what I outlined above, physically move your router to a different location and test then repeat until you get some sort of a satisfying result.

@Pinoy already bewn down the route of MTU and TCP MSS tweaking.. It did help a tiny bit but still bad..

@Joe the placement ahouldnt be an issue, I havent moved my router or any other devices and yet it was working fine until recently.. I will try the steps you mentioned anyway :)

Thanks guys!

Chuck

If you have wall to wall neighbours with e.g microwaves near your router it can give big interferences. When I switched on my microwave when the router was about 5m away I lost connection completely...always worth a try with repositioning ;)