Apache Office V4.0

Ol Smoke

As some of you know I am updating my system to Windows 7 64 bit,

But I have one big problem.  I am still running MS Office XP Pro version.

It will not work in WIN7 at all.  I don't use it very much but I do have a lot

of old spreadsheets and Word docs that I still need to use.  I have checked

all my sources and I cannot get Office 2007 for any kind of price now.  So I

was reading about this program.  There are a lot of people using it and saying

it works just as good as MS Office and reads all of the docs and xl sheets made

by MS Office.  So I am thinking of using it.

Anyone on here use Apache Office?  IF so, tell me a little about.  Is it a workable

program or is it glitchy and unstable?  Will it corrupt my old docs and xl sheets?

I use OpenOffice (Apache Office if you like) and have no problems with it.  It is slightly 'cheap' feeling next to MS Office but it does all you need it to do and I've never had any problems with it - Even if MS Office was cheaper I wouldn't buy it since OpenOffice is just as good IMO.

Now that Oracle has ceased development and IBM has merged Lotus Symphony with Apache OpenOffice, the suite has gotten quite a bit better. It's stable, and the interpretation of other document formats has gotten a BIG upgrade. If you use spreadsheets though, I'd be wary about opening an Excel file-- I've had issues with tables not formatted correctly, loss of data past a certain point, etc. Same goes with presentations, OpenOffice doesn't have any stellar features that you might find, in say Microsoft PowerPoint.

You might look at Office 2003, it (to the best of my knowledge) works in Windows 7 64-bit. You will need to install Service Pack 3 for Office 2003 though before using it at all. You should be able to pick up a copy of it for around 25-30 bucks on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Office-2003-Small-Business-w-BCM-Key-and-COA-Included-One-Use-/290981803758?pt=US_Office_Business_Software&hash=item43bfddf6ee

Another option would be to just get a standalone version of Excel, either an older (or a new) version. But other than the spreadsheet issue, I wouldn't have a doubt recommending Apache OpenOffice to you.