Space Anomalies

PHANTASM

Sceptic?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you find most likely?

• Humans are alone in the universe. Get over it.
    • There may be other life, but it is too far away to matter.
    • There may be intelligent life in nearby stars, but they do not have the ability to reach our solar system.
    • We have been visited in this solar system by intelligent life.
    • We are cohabitating this solar system with other intelligent species.
    • I'm an alien... but dont tell anyone

i'm surprised no one has mentioned The Drake Equation:

847914dec26cc45ac2957da0054683de.png

I remember this from watching Carl Sagan on Nova when I was a kid. It was very interesting to see it discussed in a scientific way, not just a horror-movie approach trying to scare people with tales of evil aliens, that can then be easily dismissed. Sagan's approach brought this whole debate into the realm of rational discussion.

It only takes a few planets in the galaxy to colonize other planets and the galaxy could be filled with life even without new life arising independently. I think they left that part out of the equation.

It is quite possible that evolution on our planet has been guided by other intelligent species to produce new intelligent life forms suited for life on this planet (us). It's not likely, since we have ancient lifeforms (stromatolites in Western Australia for example) that show that earthlife (DNA, RNA, proteins, Krebs cycle, etc) has been around for 3.7 billion years. But we could have been recently subjected to artificial selection, like humans do to farm animals, to produce more intelligent or useful creatures. Or perhaps Earth is a biological reservoir of wild-type humans kept in a nature reserve, like Aborigines in Kakadu National Park in Australia, who still live in the Stone Age and have no idea they are in a park.

When they need some slaves, food, soldiers, whatever, they come down and grab a few people and use their gametes to make millions of humans elsewhere, who have no social acculturation and can be trained to do whatever they need. I have no idea why anyone would want to do this, we certainly don't make good pets and our usefulness is quite debatable. But it's an interesting theory I have seen many times in science fiction. Who knows? We certainly have no shortage of abduction reports and UFO sightings.

it's also quite possible that the earth is an organic mega-computer with computation cycles run on the order of eons, run by hyper-intelligent shades of blue in the form of lab mice in an effort to compute the great cosmic question to which the answer is 42.

nothing in our experience really rules it out, if we allow the possibility that the hyper-intelligent shades of blue are intelligent enough to pull it off..

:blink:

It only takes a few planets in the galaxy to colonize other planets and the galaxy could be filled with life even without new life arising independently. I think they left that part out of the equation.

this is what enrico fermi was thinking when he said something to the effect of:

"if there is intelligent life out there, we would have seen them by now"

it's called the Fermi Paradox.

the gist of it is that the galaxy is small enough and old enough that if there should be obvious signs of colonization throughout the galaxy many times over by now.

.. that is, assuming that intelligent life would by definition have the will and acquire the means to colonize the galaxy. even at a pace much slower than light travel, it should be possible for a civilization to evolve and cross the whole galactic disc in less than 100 million years - if the galaxy is billions of years old, and you accept alot of other assumptions about how often intelligent life should naturally arise, there should be obvious and incontrovertible evidence of multiple galaxy-spanning civilizations come before us.

there isn't.

wow , :eek

very interesting thread , i believe we co-exist with alot of different organisms out there

if you have seen deep space pictures from the hubble you will agree that there is

way to much out there for us to be the only surviving life form as some others have said

not everything survives on oxygen , it is extremely corrosive but

it is also possible that there are more life forms out there that survive on oxygen just like

us , :l33t

its an awsome subject although everyone has there different views and beliefs

its up to you whether you believe or not

If there was intelligent life out there, why would they want to talk to us? I can't stand most people, how much more annoying would humans be to a super-intelligent being? We would sound as stupid and annoying as a roomful of kindergarten kids with air horns.

Intelligent life would monitor us the same way we monitor wolves or sharks - to study us and keep themselves safe.

Any extraterrestrials with the ability to make a TV set and watch the broadcasts we have been blasting out for the last seventy five years would probably find us very threatening to their civilization. Consider that the first human ever broadcast on television was Adolph Hitler in 1936 at the Olympics. Imagine aliens watching Saving Private Ryan or Star Wars and what they would think of humans. Think of all the sci-fi movies where we fight aliens.

If there was intelligent life out there, why would they want us to discover them and copy their technology and threaten them? We have an incredibly poor track record of dealing with encounters with each other, how much worse would we be with a completely alien species that we would perceive as hostile? It would only take one Earth government (US, Russia, China) to behave aggressively to cause serious problems with extraterrestrials.

Consider the seriousness which NASA is monitoring the Russian attempts to send a probe back to the Phobos Monolith. The Russians are way ahead of the USA in terms of engaging the entity on Phobos. This is one of the most important things going on right now and no one is talking about this in the mainstream media.

We are already in a "first-contact" situation.

I've decided I don't believe in deep sea worms. I've never seen one myself, and anyone who says they have must be crazy or lying. It's just one person's word that there are worms down there. Therefore, there are no giant worms at the bottom of the ocean. Any footage of these worms is probably faked in a deliberate attempt to make me believe there are worms at the bottom of the ocean. Everyone knows it is too cold down there and the pressure is too high for life. Besides there is nothing for them to eat. So it's impossible for there to be deep sea worms. Anyone who believes life could exist at the bottom of the ocean is just misinformed.

[/sarcasm off]

I, for one, think that there's life within the vicinity of our solar system, just not in the green men catagory. There could be microscopic lifeforms such as bacteria living in the waters of other planets or moons or in tiny droplets inside comets and asteroids. Beyond our travels in space, there may be similar bacteria, and other civilizations that may be intelligent or not. Who knows if they have developed space or just roam their planet with bone club in hand communicating with clicks n grunts,

@phantasm lol at the giant worm theory im not sure dude , life can become susceptable to large amount of pressure i mean i dont think there are

giant worms at the bottom but there certainly could be some form of life down there i mean dude on 3%

of the ocean has been dicovered and that 3 % still suprises scientists but more to the point there could be anything down there ,

theres have been some wierd fish discovered already from further down than them anti pressure suits can go , im not supporting the theary of huge worms but who knows dude

i tend to keep an open mind to the thing that are uknown to me.

@phantasm lol at the giant worm theory im not sure dude , life can become susceptable to large amount of pressure i mean i dont think there are

giant worms at the bottom but there certainly could be some form of life down there i mean dude on 3%

of the ocean has been dicovered and that 3 % still suprises scientists but more to the point there could be anything down there ,

theres have been some wierd fish discovered already from further down than them anti pressure suits can go , im not supporting the theary of huge worms but who knows dude

i tend to keep an open mind to the thing that are uknown to me.

lol I was making a joke. There are giant tube worms at the bottom of the deep sea that sway back and forth in the gentle currents eating whale feces and dead stuff that drifts down. I've seen them on TV on those National Geographic shows. One end of the worm attachs to the ocean floor and the other points upward. I was suggesting that because I have never seen them, and they live in an unlikely environment for sustaining life, that I have decided not to believe in their existence. Same as how some people dismiss the idea of life in space.

morbid i think you forgot to do [/sarcasm]?

@ phantasm i think this looks fake don't you?

050223124700.jpg

Definitely a staged photo lol. Look at that "T1" marker. Probably filmed in an aquarium somewhere using special effects.

This is from my little-visited blog:

A Californian surgeon describes removing alien implants from eight abductees. One implant was sent to a lab for testing. The implant was described as of "extraterrestrial origin". Compelling interview...

I agree that there is life out in the universe. I also agree that they find us irresponsible and that is most likely why i believe we don't have contact with them. We as the human race are too self centered to full understand that there are greater beings out there.