Space Anomalies

PHANTASM

Sceptic?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you find most likely?

• Humans are alone in the universe. Get over it.
    • There may be other life, but it is too far away to matter.
    • There may be intelligent life in nearby stars, but they do not have the ability to reach our solar system.
    • We have been visited in this solar system by intelligent life.
    • We are cohabitating this solar system with other intelligent species.
    • I'm an alien... but dont tell anyone

Anyone watch "The Universe"? Awesome show.. Its all about space. :)

Great show, and it actually has something to do with history, albeit natural history. Being a history buff, I think shows like "ice Road Truckers" and "Top Shot" have nothing to do with history and ruin the history channel. "The Universe" however is pretty awesom.

Edited by Morbid Angel

Planet discovered yesterday that resembles the earth. According to scientists, it has the same temperature as earth, a hard surface, and is in the "habitat zone" meaning, it isnt too close to the solar systems star nor too far away, allowing for the possibility of water and life. The planet resides in a solar system only 20 lights years away (peanuts in the grand scheme of the universe)

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2022489,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if any of this is being repeated beforehand. I only skimmed through the topic. There is most certainly other life in the universe. To think that the only living things in the universe are only on this planet would be sort of foolish. Scientists highly suspect that Mars used to have large flowing rivers and oceans on it's surface. Erosion of rock and enormous land masses on the planet's surface still show common water marks that we can compare to erosion that's happened on our planet as well. Some even suspect it still contains some water under it's surface. And let's not forget that living conditions on this planet are "perfect" for living creatures because that's how we see it. A planet doesn't even NEED to have oxygen as a breathing source technically. Life endures as long as it can adapt, even if only on the cellular level.

But that random fact aside.. there are plenty of planets and moons in our solar system which are covered in ice and could very well have flowing water underneath the surface. I remember reading this article which was talking about these mysterious geysers that appeared on one of Jupiter's moons, shooting a gas out into space. They heavily suspected volcanic activity under the moon's surface. Add to that, that the moon was basically covered in ice, and we have a situation where it's very possible that some form of life is beneath the surface! In our OWN solar system at that! Where there is water, there is life. Not to mention that if life can be so "easily" found within our own solar system, on an apparent frozen, desolate moon at that, where else might life pop up?

It's surely very foolish to underestimate the cycle of life. I don't think most people are willing to let themselves understand it really, as if we ever truly could though. Genetically speaking.. a living being doesn't necessarily have to share any of the genetic makeup that any species on this planet has. So to say that a planet has to be like Earth to support life is absurd. Sure it must have a stable environment and some form of liquid for the creatures to survive. But let's not forget that life on Earth has spent millions of years adapting to this planet and it's conditions, and we're a part of that continuing cycle. So naturally when we compare life on our planet to life in the rest of the universe, it seems hard to believe that it might be out there.

I know this topic is about space anomalies and all, which I was more than happy to comment on. But after reading that quoted article on Nikola Tesla I just have to fanboy all over now. Nikola Tesla is perhaps the greatest mind to ever live! He did things over 100 years ago that STILL cannot be reproduced TO THIS DAY! He spoke 8 different languages and is largely responsible for most breakthroughs which had to do with electricity since Thomas Edison "invented" the lightbulb and even before that! Speaking of Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla used to be his assistant, but they would have very heated debates on what type of current (alternating or direct) should be used, so Tesla struck out on his own, leading to a life long rivaly between the two. And when I say rivalry, I mean that they could not be around each other without arguing about who was wrong. It's sorta humorous really. Because of their feud they were both rejected by the Nobel Prize committee!

Anyways, Tesla's photographic memory was so... I don't even have the words for it... it was like a computer basically. He memorized ENTIRE books and could easily do advanced calculus and physics equations in his head! Tesla's machines were extremely complex... even to today's standards. Virtually ALL of Tesla's designs for his machines were stored in his brain, only leaving vague reference material on paper. People still cannot figure out how to build a lot of the machines he created back in the 1800's or early 1900's. In 1899 he built a machine while he was based out in the middle of a desert, out of spare parts from other machines. With that machine he created, he managed to WIRELESSLY light around 200 light bulbs in a building over 26 miles away! Something that cannot even be done today! We are only just now developing the technology to wirelessly power electronic devices, and even still it's restricted to only a few feet away from the generator. To this day, scientists and engineers don't fully understand how he accomplished such a feat.

I think it's important to note that Tesla was a bit of an eccentric. Even a mad scientist, if you will. In his experiments with magnetic resonance, he accidentally stumbled upon the resonant frequency of the Earth. With his machine he managed to cause an earthquake so powerful that it threatened to destroy an entire New York city block before Tesla had to smash it to pieces. Later, after the accident, he made the claim that he could build a machine that would split the Earth in two! It's so unfortunate that more people don't know of Nikola Tesla. He is truly one of, if not THE greatest mind the human race has ever given birth to. He does not get nearly enough credit for the things that he had accomplished in such a short lifetime. Things that still cannot be done to this day. Things that stupify the smartest minds of our generation and generations passed. Unfortunately we're taught that Thomas Edison is the father of electricity these days. It's such an enormous lie, it's hard to believe the scientific community doesn't give Tesla his due credit, and has even went out of their way to write him out of history. Thomas Edison's experiments with electricity look like a child playing with sticks when compared to most of Tesla's experiments. The true father of electricity is the one and only, Nikola Tesla.

Actually here is a link to a very small biography on his life and just a few of his accomplishments, also it has a few pictures. Anyways, be sure to give it a read, it's relatively short.

http://www.badassoft....com/tesla.html

/end_fanboymode

lol yes Tesla was smart. He invented the wireless internet, or at least described the idea in great detail, over 100 years ago. Perhaps if he had spent more time sharing his ideas we would be able to actually use them instead of just guessing at what he was thinking. Edison did a vastly better job of working with other people, that's why he got funded and was able to implement his ideas while Tesla became just a curiosity for the people of the future (us).

I read once that Tesla made a prank machine that created a frequency that liquified human feces and he would turn it on when people came to his lab as a joke to make everyone have to go. Imagine you're talking to him, and he flicks a switch somewhere and now you have to find a bathroom immediately. That would make a funny Saturday Night Live skit though.

lol yes Tesla was smart. He invented the wireless internet, or at least described the idea in great detail, over 100 years ago. Perhaps if he had spent more time sharing his ideas we would be able to actually use them instead of just guessing at what he was thinking. Edison did a vastly better job of working with other people, that's why he got funded and was able to implement his ideas while Tesla became just a curiosity for the people of the future (us).

I read once that Tesla made a prank machine that created a frequency that liquified human feces and he would turn it on when people came to his lab as a joke to make everyone have to go. Imagine you're talking to him, and he flicks a switch somewhere and now you have to find a bathroom immediately. That would make a funny Saturday Night Live skit though.

lol Yeah I've heard about that too. Tesla had various reasons for wanting to keep his projects a secret though. The scientific community back then was a lot different than it is now. Basically it was a race to see who could invent things before anyone else could. Tesla took it a step further to insure that his inventions would be kept secret, and he would be the only one who knew how to build them, so nobody could steal his ideas. That stuff aside though, Nikola wasn't really right in the head. He was a nut. This quote here probably explains most of why he was the way he was.

"Of course, much like many other eccentric giga-geniuses and diabolical masterminds, Tesla was also completely insane. He was prone to nervous breakdowns, claimed to receive weird visions in the middle of the night, spoke to pigeons, and occasionally thought he was receiving electromagnetic signals from extraterrestrials on Mars. He was also obsessive-compulsive and hated round objects, human hair, jewelry, and anything that wasn't divisible by three. He was also asexual and celibate for his entire life. Basically, Nikola Tesla was the ultimate mad scientist, which is seriously awesome."

Mix his unfriendly behavior with the fact that he's out of his freakin' mind and I think we can all sort of understand why the scientific community doesn't really acknowledge him. Especially when we consider that Tesla didn't necessarily care about the community himself. He really only cared for making them look stupid.

Back to space news.

Astronomers have discovered a galaxy supercluster using a new telescope at the South Pole. It has ~800 trillion stars and is 7 billion light years away. Probably contains millions of inhabited worlds.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20101015/sc_space/mostmassivegalaxyclusterofearlyuniversediscovered

1peck1.jpg

I just stumbled across this and found it pretty interesting. It's been out for awhile but you guys might like it.

The_size_of_planets.gif

Just makes you realize how insignificant our planet really is in the big picture of things, size wise of course. That last star is freaking massive, though that just isn't enough to truly describe how it is, there aren't words to describe how big the damn thing is.

Valkyrie it's hard to say.

The oldest galaxies that we can see with the Hubble Telescope are 13 billion years old. That's 8 billion years older than our solar system, assuming the redshift method of determining distance is correct (I'm no longer convinced due to Stephen's Quartet).

So that would mean it is possible there are civilizations billions of years older than humans, and that we could actually be quite primitive lifeforms to them. Consider that 20,000 years ago most humans were living in caves. Imagine how much more technology could be developed with another million years of hard work.

I strongly suspect we are similar to ants in someone's backyard, we are living in ignorance on our own tiny planet, protected from extraterrestrial predators by the presence of a far more advanced civilization that is all around us in the galaxy. We are like Hawaiian Islanders, living on a tiny island in the ocean of space, naively thinking we are alone. I think most of Earth culture is absolutely ridiculous, from politics to religion, from economics to land-use patterns, and we are probably viewed by extraterrestrials as an irresponsible species that is best kept in a state of ignorance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ieof6m8vQ

If this is so, why are we people not taking care of our own charges? I agree that we aren't alone, but what if we are making all of this happen?

I just stumbled across this and found it pretty interesting. It's been out for awhile but you guys might like it.

The_size_of_planets.gif

Wow. . .those are HUGE!

If this is so, why are we people not taking care of our own charges? I agree that we aren't alone, but what if we are making all of this happen?

I believe that's what PHANTASM was saying. As a species, the human race is very childish and irresponsible. We squabble and kill each other over land and beliefs and ideas that nobody even really knows the truth about, we are destroying our planet and in turn.. eventually.. ourselves. Humans have basically created imaginary things that we can argue and fight over, seemingly JUST to argue and fight over them. If we're comparing ourselves to an alien race millions, if not billions of years older, you have to think of the kind of organization and manpower it took them to get as far as they did. You can be assured that their own planet would stand united.

If we're dealing with a civilization far more advanced than our own, there's no reason to think they might not even span multiple planets or star systems. They wouldn't be able to take the next step up off of their planet and into the stars if they were not. Technically they could but it's very unlikely.. It would be mutually profitable for everyone if we banded together, rather than working individually, when reaching out into the stars. Not to mention it's silly to think we can just go out into space and start claiming different planets for different countries and what not.

As for the .gif I posted. Scientists believe that VY Canis Majoris is dying. I really doubt it'll be any time soon but, depending on how it dies, it could take 100's of millions of solar systems with it when it goes. They would be there one second and gone the next.

There was a rumor I heard recently and I found it rather amusing: that UN actually appointed a spokesperson for ETs, that rumor was later denied though. If it was real though it would seem that UN considers it just a matter of time. Even Wikipedia mentions it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Office_for_Outer_Space_Affairs

There was a rumor I heard recently and I found it rather amusing: that UN actually appointed a spokesperson for ETs, that rumor was later denied though. If it was real though it would seem that UN considers it just a matter of time. Even Wikipedia mentions it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Office_for_Outer_Space_Affairs

from wikipedia:

Mazlan Othman was rumored to be appointed by (UNOOSA) to be Earth's first extraterrestrial spokesperson. After this rumor was reported on the news as true, the UN denied any such appointment.[citation needed]

However Dr. Mustafa said that if any such appointment was to have been made, Mazlan would have been the best candidate for the job.[citation needed]

“You do not want a spokesman from just anywhere. Mazlan is in the highest position of outer space affairs. “Coupled with her credentials as an astrophysicist, she would be the most appropriate candidate to take up such a role,†Dr. Mustafa said of his predecessor, whose position he took over in 1999 after Mazlan left to assume her role in UNOOSA.

Dr. Mustafa added that scientists worldwide were still hopeful about communication with extra-terresterial life.

/endcopy

The USSR had an extensive program to ensure that they (and not the US) made first contact with aliens. They took it very seriously. They had specific orders to fighter pilots to not shoot at any UFOs they saw. They had policies on what local officials were supposed to do in the event of contact with aliens. They had formal policies on how to handle crashed UFOs.

The Japanese government recently admitted that they have been aware of UFOs, I don't have the link but I remember reading it last year. They said it in an unusual (and highly Japanese) way: they will no longer deny the existence of UFOs. This is Japanese bureaucrat language for "yeah there are UFOs, we know, we know you know we know, new topic please."

The UK recently released thousands of reports of UFO encounters that had been classified. Some of them are highly detailed and involve actual contact with UFOs by police, fighter pilots, and government representatives. One report was from a UK official who claimed we were being monitored by over 50 separate alien species.

The US, however, chose to make it official policy to deny the existence of UFOs and to encourage the media to make fun of anyone who questioned the official policy. Who is the police state here?

Well the American government, in my eyes, is a LOT like a mafia. I guess that's why a mafia could so easily thrive under it, until they specifically started hunting mafia members down at least. They love having their secrets and they love to lie about them to keep them secret. It's a shame that NASA's space program is gonna end this year or.. was it next year? Either way, it's foolish. NASA may be facing serious budget issues, they're thinking of privatizing space flight in order to keep manned space missions going. There are also a bunch of other groups, the Virgin group who dabble in cells phones and all kinds of other crap already have 2 spaceships built for commercial flight. I'm getting side tracked. Anyways, at least now NASA is admitting to seeing UFO's and has even released images and videos. Even if the U.S. government hasn't.