Space Anomalies

PHANTASM

Sceptic?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these do you find most likely?

• Humans are alone in the universe. Get over it.
    • There may be other life, but it is too far away to matter.
    • There may be intelligent life in nearby stars, but they do not have the ability to reach our solar system.
    • We have been visited in this solar system by intelligent life.
    • We are cohabitating this solar system with other intelligent species.
    • I'm an alien... but dont tell anyone

rly, somewhere in the universe, there should be some planets that had same conditions or similar as Earth.

that means, possible lifeforms.

......but still, its rare to have a planet that can support life....so i think it will be really far away.

I think that there is life out there, but they are probably just as advanced as we are. I figure the planets *should* be roughly the same age, and barring any crazy evolution(if ya believe that stuff) or acts of god they would have progressed fairly similar to Earth.

Valkyrie it's hard to say.

The oldest galaxies that we can see with the Hubble Telescope are 13 billion years old. That's 8 billion years older than our solar system, assuming the redshift method of determining distance is correct (I'm no longer convinced due to Stephen's Quartet).

So that would mean it is possible there are civilizations billions of years older than humans, and that we could actually be quite primitive lifeforms to them. Consider that 20,000 years ago most humans were living in caves. Imagine how much more technology could be developed with another million years of hard work.

I strongly suspect we are similar to ants in someone's backyard, we are living in ignorance on our own tiny planet, protected from extraterrestrial predators by the presence of a far more advanced civilization that is all around us in the galaxy. We are like Hawaiian Islanders, living on a tiny island in the ocean of space, naively thinking we are alone. I think most of Earth culture is absolutely ridiculous, from politics to religion, from economics to land-use patterns, and we are probably viewed by extraterrestrials as an irresponsible species that is best kept in a state of ignorance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ieof6m8vQ

There's no way that we are alone. There are millions (billions? i'm not sure) of stars in the galaxy, and there are millions/billions of galaxies in the universe. And the universe is still expanding too. So what are the chances that there isn't a similar life form out there to humans? Our sun is just a regular star in the galaxy. So if it's regular, there are other "regular" stars out there. There has to be at least a few other planets out there with water, amino acids, and the essentials to life. Who knows? Maybe one day in the very distant future the scientists will find a world that has other humans on it. It'd be like a parallel universe-only not :).

Phantasm- if there is a civilization out there that is much more advanced than we are, they might've already discovered us. But they may have evolved into creatures that are supersmart. Humans are getting smarter and smarter. Or they may have evolved into dumb little creatures. There are also a lot of stupid people out there lol. But I do agree that we are tiny little ants who are ignorant. We think we are all that, that the universe revolves around us.

I love astronomy XD

I love astronomy too.

Here is an awesome website about black holes I have been reading:

http://www.space.com/blackholes/

Here is a plain-English site about stars, explaining white dwarfs, neutron stars, black holes, pulsars, etc:

http://www.csub.edu/Physics/phys110/Ch14.ppt#258,4,Electron Degeneracy vs. Gravity

I found this info on a website about Nikola Tesla:

In the Colorado Springs lab, Tesla recorded what he concluded were extraterrestrial radio signals and announced his findings in some of the scientific journals of the time. [5] His announcements and data were rejected by the scientific community who did not believe him. He notes measurements of repetitive signals from his receiver which are substantially different from the signals he had noted from storms and earth noise. Specifically, he later recalled that the signals appeared in groups of clicks 1, 2, 3, and 4 clicks together. He stated in the article "A Giant Eye to See Round the World", of February 25, 1923, that:

"Twenty-two years ago, while experimenting in Colorado with a wireless power plant, I obtained extraordinary experimental evidence of the existence of life on Mars. I had perfected a wireless receiver of extraordinary sensitiveness, far beyond anything known, and I caught signals which I interpreted as meaning 1--2--3--4. I believe the Martians used numbers for communication because numbers are universal."

Clearly, Tesla felt the signal groups originated on the planet Mars. In 1996 Corum and Corum published an analysis of Jovian plasma torus signals which indicate that there was a correspondence between the setting of Mars at Colorado Springs, and the cessation of signals from Jupiter in the summer of 1899 when Tesla was there. Further, analysis by the Corums indicate that Tesla's transceiver was sensitive in the 18 kHz gap in the Kennelly-Heaviside layer which would have allowed that reception from Jupiter. Therefore, there is evidence the signals Tesla noticed came from Jupiter, among other possible sources. Tesla spent the latter part of his life trying to signal Mars.

It is important to recognize that when he says he "recorded" these signals, it is meant that he wrote down the data and his impressions of what he had heard. He did release reports at the time. Tesla¹s initial announcement of the existence of extraterrestrial radio signals was in 1899. In March of 1907, Tesla wrote about signaling to Mars in Harvard Magazine and how it was a problem of electrical engineering. Additional descriptions come from remembrances twenty years later. All this was met with resistance and disbelief by his contemporaries."

• Administrators

On an interesting note, life can survive on a variety of minerals and noxious gasses. Any good hydrogen source will suffice even Hydrogen Sulfide. Chemolithotrophs have been doing this for eons, so figure if there is an extremity of micro organisms that can catabolize sulfurs, phosphates, or ammonia on Earth alone, that there must be a variety of simple (microbial) life elsewhere.

Oxygen is not a complete necessity for life, as many microorganism do not need oxygen in their metabolic pathways. For example, most life on Earth 3 billion years ago were autotrophic organisms pulling carbon dioxide and hydrogen from any hydrogen source to produce basic carbohydrates and releasing oxygen as a waste product which was toxic to microorganisms at that time. This oxygen over time built up until sometime around 2 billion years ago, an evolutionary boost occurred where microbes produced enzymes to cope and survive in more oxygen rich environments and evolved to utilize toxic oxygen as a superior electron acceptor in their metabolism. This drastically changed the course of microorganisms as they were able to completely catabolize carbohydrate sources aerobically unleashing alot of energy and C02 on a oxygenated polluted Earth. If it were not for this polluted oxygen, microbes would not have been able to evolve into macroorganism and many of the complex lifeforms later to come from this powerhouse metabolic process. So one era's waste product turned into an another era's vitality.

So who knows what kind of environments or atmospheres ET could be living in. Maybe it breathes Fluorine gas or selenium products for its electron acceptor in some elaborate ET metabolism. Ouch... I can't imagine breathing fluorine.

• Like 1

lol jeff that was cute. I can't read the words but I get it, I think.

@ Rainier - very well written. Oxygen is a horrible corrosive poison, and any intelligent life from a different metabolic chemistry would find earth as toxic as we perceive Venus. It would not surprise me if we found microbes in the soil on Mars, that would be instantly killed by exposure to the environment we humans experience as safe and comforting. Titan is quite earth-like in its weather patterns and its surface features, and has a condensation cycle with methane instead of water. Perhaps there are organisms based on methane instead of water living happily on Titan (a moon of Saturn for you non-geeks out there lol).

Even Venus could well be filled with life. Consider that the sulfuric acid hot springs at Yellowstone harbor microorganisms. And undersea volcanoes have a zone of life around them at a certain temperature range a few meters away where they can feed off the reducing compounds emitted by the undersea vents without being cooked.

Twenty years ago the experts taught that there could be "life" anywhere there was liquid water. Now they think it might be posible anywhere there is a solvent capable of supporting chemical reactions. We don't need DNA or RNA to carry genetic information, any polymer of varying monomer units capable of translation to enzymes could do.

Neat stuff.

Oh, fluorine is exceptionally nasty!! Worse than chlorine.

and the irony of all this is that the "undeniable" proof that aliens exist, is still deniable and debatable. While scientists still aren't exactly sure how the first cell on earth formed, with so vastly many planets and stars out there, almost infinitely many, and because life somehow got started here on earth, it is almost guaranteed that it also did somewhere else. The main debate i think is whether or not aliens can get here and really are here to screw with us, since it is almost guaranteed that extra terrestrial life in some form exists somewhere.

So far, I have yet to see any evidence that points out that yes, aliens do exist without a doubt; and, quite frankly, because of the internet making a lot of people, myself included, a lot more skeptical of this type of thing, I doubt that I ever will see anything that will convince me otherwise.

and the irony of all this is that the "undeniable" proof that aliens exist, is still deniable and debatable. While scientists still aren't exactly sure how the first cell on earth formed, with so vastly many planets and stars out there, almost infinitely many, and because life somehow got started here on earth, it is almost guaranteed that it also did somewhere else. The main debate i think is whether or not aliens can get here and really are here to screw with us, since it is almost guaranteed that extra terrestrial life in some form exists somewhere.

So far, I have yet to see any evidence that points out that yes, aliens do exist without a doubt; and, quite frankly, because of the internet making a lot of people, myself included, a lot more skeptical of this type of thing, I doubt that I ever will see anything that will convince me otherwise.

Research the Cydonia Region of Mars, or the Phoebos Anomaly. Best evidence for extraterrestrial visitation in our solar system ever. No possibility of human intervention. Or read my blog. Thanks for your comment and welcome to the thread.