Skyfall

Ol Smoke

Yeah this is an old movie but it just came out on DVD a while back, and my wife was kind enough to go get me some movies while I was sick, so that is that.

I liked the movie, there were some really bad errors in it but it was okay.

As the movie ended, I felt a strange sensation that we are saying goodbye to the way 007 used to be and we are going to see a more technical version of
James Bond movies. For one, the Astin Martin DB5 that was famous in Goldfinger, was destroyed beyond repair. I felt this was a way of saying a final goodbye
to Sean Connery and his days of playing James Bond. Then they killed M, and ended her career of the female super boss era of the late '90's and early 2000's.
Then his childhood home is destroyed and all his belongings are gone, so that was another end to the Bond of old. Infamous Q with all his toys is gone and they made
sure we knew it when he gave 007 his gun and tracker. He is now a techno-guru and solves everything with a computer. But, at the end, it wasn't any techno-
garbage that finally killed the bad guy, it was a knife. So that means in the future, 007 is still going to be around but he will be a new and different breed.
The beginning of the movie saw 007 shot, drowned, and then sent over a waterfall to his death. But he is resurrected somehow. This was the most erroneous
part of the movie. I don't care who you are...if you fall more than 90 feet into water...you die. A proven fact. 007 fell at least 150 feet. He died. That was
a stupid part of the movie. The fact that another 00 agent came back after M, was quite a tale in itself. The M's over the years have sent 00's into death many
a time for God and Country and now a 00 is going to make them pay for it. This was a fitting end to the way the early James Bond films treated them. So we
have another correlation to the old movies being put into the ground to die forever.
It will be interesting to see what changes will occur in the coming years to the secret agent James Bond and those that play him. The stories, we are told within
Skyfall, will not be of a nation, but of a rogue person doing really bad things to us. This was true in most of the Bond movies. But most of the bad guys in those
early movies were involved with a covert group of people from a rival nation, but also hidden from them as well. (i.e. From Russia with Love) In the end of the movie
I caught a juxtaposition of the old Bond to the new Bond coming. That was in the final fight. Bond only had old weapons, and the bad guy had all the new weapons.
Yet he still lost. I think it is the movie makers way of saying, a new Bond is coming, and he will use new technology, but he can always revert back to the old
ways if he needs.

Now to the errors in the film that I caught. I will only list the most obvious here.
The excavator on the train. (That big back hoe machine he used). It was not secured down to the flatbed car it was riding on. Plus it was 6 to 8 feet taller than the car
in front of it, which meant that it wouldn't have gone into the tunnel in the first place. But it was good action and a fun movie to watch, and to watch again.

I do hope that in the future, when they select the next James Bond star, he is at least 5'11". I dislike all these up shots to make him look taller. Daniel Craig is
barely 5'7". Not much of a Bond hero.

I will miss the old James Bond heroes and stories and I do hope they take us back to the cold war days of espionage from time to time. I love the gadgets.

Watched it on opening night here in the UK... had a hard on for a good hour of it.... Loved the use of all the theme tunes, and what a great way to say goodbye to the dame and hello to the re-created moneypenny! :wub:

Probably my favouraite out of all of them... :o

Good review Smoke, brought up some hints I managed to miss.

I´d still say what I´ve said before. Bond was good movie because of the gadgets, story and for the ease Bond slide through the tough situations. If they want to throw all "bond" like away then they have to start competing with average action movies like: Matrix, Bourne series etc. Bourne had at least fresh angle to view on spies and better choreography. To compete with those action movies they have to invent also new way to describe spy world and make up the gadgets with better action scenes or something else.

Watched the "Skyfall" also and was glad I didn´t waste my money in cinema, another "cheesy" action movie with no "bond" in it to hype it up.

I really enjoyed this movie! One of the best so far! Cant wait for more and to see some of the gadgetry used in aiding Bond kill! As for Daniel Craig I think he plays Bond so well! Especially in this one!