ETPro HitBoxes

SunLight

• Clan Friend

Yes etpro felt much better, in jaymod hitsounds were random sometimes (e.g. no headshot sound, and the player loses his helmet) not to mention the hit detection.

Hitboxes were reasonably ok in both mods, so the difference is most probably the bullet line, the feeling was totally different. Jaymod ignores timenudge (antilag probably compensates) so it's impossible to fine-tune hitboxes like on etpro, pity that in most (probably all) etpro servers timenudge is forced to 0.

But even with nudge 0, while running side by side jaymod vs etpro felt like night and day.

I still have to find out how it's possible for omnibots only to be off, maybe since they don't have a real client antilag doesn't bother to delag them the same way, I have to investigate with etpub, but that sounds most probable.

some screenshots:

jaymod:

Prediction error: I was under fire and being pushed back by enemy bullets, so I actually shot from a different position (red) from where I saw mayself (white). This is common to all mods, that's why when they hit you a lot it's harder to hit back, and all players with a high accuracy seem to be a bit unhittable.

jay_bullet_pred_error.jpg

sometimes it's worse:

jay_bullet_origin _offset.jpg

a random fight:

jay_fighting.jpg

huge bullet difference while running side by side:

jay_spread.jpg

etpro:

etpro bullet lines with sten:

etpro_bullets.jpg

with rifle (bullets are more random, hitboxes are on the player):

etpro_rifle.jpg

etpro EV_FIRE_WEAPON delay (common bug to all mods) the '+' (player model origin) should be on the bodybox origin but it's ahead:

etpro_delay.jpg

with timenudge 8, 125fps:

etpro_timenudge.jpg

Nice work guys, especially Sunlight. But it totally goes with resent notes from playing jaymod, when player crouches its totally pointless to aim at head, even with sten. Also when player strafes left and right keeping aim up is pointless, just keeping aim at random position on enemies line gives more hits;)

That means if you aim at the average center(like on x=0 on sinus function) of enemies trajectory the hitbox should "run" under your aim with highest probability than going after the model. Well at least what I´ve discovered playing ET and scrolling through of 5pages (atm) of tests here.

PS. didn´t notice any SS of fight with real players as enemy is crouching in jaymod, and maybe rotate in one place with WASD or just slightly left-right. If you could understand me.

• Clan Friend

That means if you aim at the average center(like on x=0 on sinus function) of enemies trajectory the hitbox should "run" under your aim with highest probability than going after the model.

Well, I find hard enough (sometimes) aiming at the general direction of the enemy ^^

I'm 2 nub to aim at specific places on him, or take into account offsets in his hitboxes, my problem is mostly that I can't make many hs, for general accuracy I'm not pro but I can't complain much...

Well, I find hard enough (sometimes) aiming at the general direction of the enemy ^^

I'm 2 nub to aim at specific places on him, or take into account offsets in his hitboxes, my problem is mostly that I can't make many hs, for general accuracy I'm not pro but I can't complain much...

Secret tipp for more headshots: cg_crosshairy "1" :P

Ping is half the problem with hitboxes - especially when testing with bots. I would suggest that you get a server setup where you are 100+ ping away from it and then test all of this.

Ping has zero influence on the player's hitboxes as showed earlier.

Ping has zero influence on the player's hitboxes as showed earlier.

Sorry for the confusion, I mean't getting hits is affected by the ping. Ping affects how well you hit into the hitboxes and ETPro has the some of the tightest hitboxes out of all the mods - that is why you really need to learn to shoot infront of the enemy when you have a high ping. On the upside it also has one of the best-antilag scripts.

Can you point me to where it was shown? CBF sifting through data.

D_R

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

Sorry for the confusion, I mean't getting hits is affected by the ping. Ping affects how well you hit into the hitboxes and ETPro has the some of the tightest hitboxes out of all the mods - that is why you really need to learn to shoot infront of the enemy when you have a high ping. On the upside it also has one of the best-antilag scripts.

D_R

http://fearless-assassins.com/topic/45057-etpro-hitboxes/page-5

somewhere around there :P

• Clan Friend

D_R

Ping has no influence over hitting.

I'm not a huge fan of practice, since I know the theory :P (and practice is useful only when you don't know the theory fully, or just to confirm it), but even in practice we tested it.

I tested it before in lan, alone and playing vs that bot (*not* omnibot, omnibot doesn't work on etpro!) and using a python script that acted as udp proxy from me to the lan server, thus giving me any ping and ping stability I wanted.

I tested it again with S3ti, since my ping is 98 and I had the same hitboxes he had with ping 48. I connected with the aforementioned proxy too and I set my ping to 200, same hitboxes. I could have even moved it up to 500, and my hitboxes would have been the same, and his too. That's what antilag is about after all.

edit:

at most, if you have a high ping your bullet origin can be 'a bit' more off when they hit you, sice your client has to predict more and so you can get more prediction errors. But again we tested with cg_showmiss 1, and my prediction errors weren't much bigger than his, with 50ms of ping difference.

Edited by SunLight

@SunLight & S3ti Yes I agree with both of you that it general terms ping does not affect hit-boxes, but what I was referring to was what SinLight wrote in his edit - bullet origin and predicting the shot. Ping will, indirectly, affect hitting the hitbox zone. I'm not saying that hitboxes will warp or move out of place, but there is that element of predicting whether its a hit or a miss. It gets really weird when you add antilag to the equation and varying clients connection settings and ping being instable.

Edited by Death_Reincarnated

Ping has no influence over hitting.

I'm not a huge fan of practice, since I know the theory :P (and practice is useful only when you don't know the theory fully, or just to confirm it), but even in practice we tested it.

I tested it before in lan, alone and playing vs that bot (*not* omnibot, omnibot doesn't work on etpro!) and using a python script that acted as udp proxy from me to the lan server, thus giving me any ping and ping stability I wanted.

I tested it again with S3ti, since my ping is 98 and I had the same hitboxes he had with ping 48. I connected with the aforementioned proxy too and I set my ping to 200, same hitboxes. I could have even moved it up to 500, and my hitboxes would have been the same, and his too. That's what antilag is about after all.

edit:

at most, if you have a high ping your bullet origin can be 'a bit' more off when they hit you, sice your client has to predict more and so you can get more prediction errors. But again we tested with cg_showmiss 1, and my prediction errors weren't much bigger than his, with 50ms of ping difference.

The only thing that ping affects is may be the ability to hit an opponent first right ? It affects your aim as your are getin shot . How to predict when to start shooting when a high ping noob like me gets hit first ? I used the sprint script the pinoy posted in another topic  [ i forgot where it was lol ] and my accuracy is less than fifteen % [ used to be 25 % at the max ] because my aim keeps shaking due to getting hit . 

The only thing that ping affects is may be the ability to hit an opponent first right ? It affects your aim as your are getin shot . How to predict when to start shooting when a high ping noob like me gets hit first ? I used the sprint script the pinoy posted in another topic  [ i forgot where it was lol ] and my accuracy is less than fifteen % [ used to be 25 % at the max ] because my aim keeps shaking due to getting hit . 

Yes, if the reaction time is the same, the low pinger will hit first. Basically try to hit first, get positions with options and a little cover and don't extend yourself too much. If you get surprised and get screenshake from hits start dodging or get to cover, that is dependant on the situation and can't be generalized. If you dodge do that in unpredictable patterns and try to confuse the guy. Just get out of the crosshair in any way before you start shooting back. Try NOT to compensate the screenshake with your mouse and aim the same way as without shakes. The jumping crosshair is just an animation and in reality you aim at the same spot as without the shakes, though with prediction errors (and higher spread I guess) so your bullets fly all over the place.

If your accuracy is 15 then you are doing something essentially wrong, that's not screenshake only :P Most players with such low accs have insane high sensitivities or their general aim (i.e. mouse moves) just don't match their movement. Try the thing in this video, it's a good practice. If you can't do it without much overshooting or trailing try another sensitivity till it feels more comfortable. Spec good players with high accs, this way I did learn a lot.

• Like 2

Yes, if the reaction time is the same, the low pinger will hit first. Basically try to hit first, get positions with options and a little cover and don't extend yourself too much. If you get surprised and get screenshake from hits start dodging or get to cover, that is dependant on the situation and can't be generalized. If you dodge do that in unpredictable patterns and try to confuse the guy. Just get out of the crosshair in any way before you start shooting back. Try NOT to compensate the screenshake with your mouse and aim the same way as without shakes. The jumping crosshair is just an animation and in reality you aim at the same spot as without the shakes, though with prediction errors (and higher spread I guess) so your bullets fly all over the place.

If your accuracy is 15 then you are doing something essentially wrong, that's not screenshake only :P Most players with such low accs have insane high sensitivities or their general aim (i.e. mouse moves) just don't match their movement. Try the thing in this video, it's a good practice. If you can't do it without much overshooting or trailing try another sensitivity till it feels more comfortable. Spec good players with high accs, this way I did learn a lot.

I had been using lower sens all the time ... he he he . Now my sens is 3.4 and it feels somewhat good . I had 35 % acc on server with some bots and players :) But one thing that i have noticed is , if i use /seta sens [ value]  in console , my sensitivity isnt changing .... I am using the settings menu to change it . Any idea why ? 

I had been using lower sens all the time ... he he he . Now my sens is 3.4 and it feels somewhat good . I had 35 % acc on server with some bots and players :) But one thing that i have noticed is , if i use /seta sens [ value]  in console , my sensitivity isnt changing .... I am using the settings menu to change it . Any idea why ? 

It's /seta sensitivity ;) If you type sens in console and press tab, it will autocomplete.

• Like 1