HELP! Having major pc trouble.

CSL

Hey Guys and Gals,

Heres the story. Last week there was a power outage in my city. My pc was on at the time (plugged into a suge protector) when the power came back on and I restarted the computer. No video. Heres where it gets weird. I checked both monitors by connecting them to my laptop and they work. I replaced my graphics card and still nada. I am able to connect remotely to my pc using team viewer and everything seems to work fine. After putting back my original graphics card I even updated the drivers and still nothing. So basically I have a working PC with no video. Here are the specs for my PC cut and pasted from Speccy:

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 250 18 °C

Regor 45nm Technology

RAM

4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-770T-USB3 (Socket M2)

Graphics

@ 1024x768

Generic Non-PnP Monitor @ 1024x768

ATI Radeon HD 5570

Hard Drives

488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDP725050GLA360 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C

Optical Drives

JYDEL H27WL63 SCSI CdRom Device

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 ATA Device

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Any help would be appreciated.

Something wrong with the motherboard maybe. Have you tried another PCI-E port for the video card? or is there only one?

I only have one PCIE slot, but I tried putting in an old graphics card into a different PCI slot and it didnt work. :(

It is in the chipset on your motherboard. I have seen this several times. There is a chipset on your motherboard

that hands off to the video card. This chipset is very subseptible to voltage spiking. There is nothing you can do

except replace the motherboard.

To keep WIndows from having a heart attack, try to replace with an exact duplicate.

I would start from power unit. And then move to mb. U can measure also outputs from power unit while it on motherboard and power on. Check also if there is separate fuse on Power unit.

Masa_1964

It is in the chipset on your motherboard. I have seen this several times. There is a chipset on your motherboard

that hands off to the video card. This chipset is very subseptible to voltage spiking. There is nothing you can do

except replace the motherboard.

To keep WIndows from having a heart attack, try to replace with an exact duplicate.

This, or just do a new windows install when you change the components.

Or if youve got the cash, upgrade the system cause the OP is running some old hardware.

I would start from power unit. And then move to mb. U can measure also outputs from power unit while it on motherboard and power on. Check also if there is separate fuse on Power unit.

Masa_1964

PSU is not likely. It wouldn't be turning on if the PSU went bad, or doing other flaky things. Also, if it happened to short the GPU power connector, it would have like totally blown the connector, or failed the POST test/ burnt into the GPU.

Situations like these are unfortunate and why I recommend getting a UPS (Uninterruptable power supply). UPS' will save your machine, as they are like giant batteries in a sense, that, when power goes out, you will have X amount of time that the PC is still running to shut it down without it crashing. Good UPS' like the one I have, has software you can download that can shut the PC and related accessories off automaticallywhen the battery in the UPS has a certain amount of battery left.

Edited by General

Thanks for the input guys. Its definitely not the power supply because the computer is actually working fine. I logged into it remotely to check. I definitely dont have the cash to upgrade at the moment. I also think it might ce the chipset on the mother board. UPS is a great idea but the surge protector should have done its job.

Same happened to me with, my old pc, m2n68-am se + athlon x2 7750, power outage and booooon when I tried to start after energy restored no video. Think i had luck, despite worked only after change power supply and still was running like your pc, hd running, lights power, cooler video card and no video, but not connected with any remote desktop.

And in this computer m2n68-am se + athlon x2 64 5200+, power outage lot of times .But I suspected from update MICR0S0FT about k3rn3I, in both computers happened after this update needing only restart.

Next time u connect with team viewer check what video card is working. (onboard or your ATI Radeon HD 5570), your monitors r plugged in power supply?

Thanks for the input guys. Its definitely not the power supply because the computer is actually working fine. I logged into it remotely to check. I definitely dont have the cash to upgrade at the moment. I also think it might ce the chipset on the mother board. UPS is a great idea but the surge protector should have done its job.

Been a long time! Good to see you around :)

As for the surge protector, what kind is it? I'm curious because I have one that looks pretty much like an extension cable with 2 lights on it. Still not sure if they are reliable whatsoever tho.

Been a long time! Good to see you around :)

As for the surge protector, what kind is it? I'm curious because I have one that looks pretty much like an extension cable with 2 lights on it. Still not sure if they are reliable whatsoever tho.

Have the same shitty one that you have. PS I never leave its you who disappeared boris :D