CoD4 Version Changer

ApfelGanja

Hello all, I am having a slight predicament and would appreciate if anybody is willing to help me:

I wanted to check out the Beginner's Server just to see if it's any different from my beloved NO MARTY Abner (may he RIP) server.

I downloaded and installed the 1.7 patch and the CoD4 Version Changer that Dare uploaded about a year ago.

Now I can't get on to 1.6 to play on Abner. Whenever I choose 1.6 on the Version Changer it opens up 1.7

please help!

To be honest, I have no idea how dare's version changer works but here's a thing that can be useful:

First: Make a copy of the whole Cod4 folder.

Second: Degrade the copy to 1.6

And now you have 1.6 and 1.7 :D

But once you go 1.7 it's hard to leave... :P

• Like 1

To be honest, I have no idea how dare's version changer works but here's a thing that can be useful:

First: Make a copy of the whole Cod4 folder.

Second: Degrade the copy to 1.6

And now you have 1.6 and 1.7 :D

But once you go 1.7 it's hard to leave... :P

If you are going this route then you will have 2 installs. You have to reinstall CoD to keep the 1.6....make sure you install into a separate folder, I have my 1.7 in "activision 2" folder and 1.6 in "activision" folder. You'll just have to copy your user files from your current game to the new install. Also xfire will only work in game for one of these at a time. I can help with that also if you need it.

Do you have the steam download or cd download of cod4?

CD

If you are going this route then you will have 2 installs. You have to reinstall CoD to keep the 1.6....make sure you install into a separate folder, I have my 1.7 in "activision 2" folder and 1.6 in "activision" folder. You'll just have to copy your user files from your current game to the new install. Also xfire will only work in game for one of these at a time. I can help with that also if you need it.

Yes I know that's one way, but I'm looking for a quick fix :P Thanks anyway

For win7/vista try running the version changer with administrator rights. :)

Joker i tried that and it worked BUT it runs only windowed and switches to Windows Basic Theme

EDIT: I tried enetering the Abner server and it crashed (tried 2 times so far)

Edited by ApfelGanja

What error you get?

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Multiplayer (Not Responding) followed by 'Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare Multiplayer has stopped working... looking for solutions'

hm. My version changer seems to work fine, but you could switch the version files around manually. When you have the version changer installed, it has all the files for each version, just switch the 1.6 and 1.7 iw3mp.exe file around every time you want to run a new version. Hopefully that should do it.

hm. My version changer seems to work fine, but you could switch the version files around manually. When you have the version changer installed, it has all the files for each version, just switch the 1.6 and 1.7 iw3mp.exe file around every time you want to run a new version. Hopefully that should do it.

I'm sorry i don't think I understand, could you please clarify?

I'm sorry i don't think I understand, could you please clarify?

Alright, let me try to explain as best I can. When you update the game, along with a few other files, the iw3mp.exe file that you use to open the game (which can be found in your cod4 folder) updates to the newest version. Now, when you get the version changer, it should download the other versions along with it (if not, you can easily download the old iw3mp.exe file). This file, if you swap it with the older version ( the 1.6 launcher ) should run the game in a previous version. It's a manual way of doing it, but it worked for me before I found out about version changers.

• Like 1

Note ... this isn't MY solution ... but I found it online and thought you might be interested in it ...

==========================================================================

How to change COD4 version from 1.6 to 1.7 and back.

You got a few options to do this:

templatecodmwversioncha.png

1. Version_Changer_v1.7.5.3_[uK]

• Make sure your game is patched up to v1.7 before installation.

• Do NOT change the predefined directory. It must be "\Call of Duty - Modern Warfare\Version_Changer".

• Use this on your own risk! This tool only applies to the english version of COD4!

[*]Manually: from 1.6 to 1.7.

• Browse to the directory where COD4 is installed (default in Windows XP: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\")

• Copy the entire folder "Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare" and paste it in the same root directory.
    It should look like this now: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - Copy\".
    For this example i am going to rename it to "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare 1.7\".

• Now download Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare v1.7 Patch, unzip the file.
    Start CoD4MW-1.6-1.7-PatchSetup.exe, when youre prompted to the installation directory selection,
    select the new folder that you just created ("C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare 1.7\")
    Apply and finish installation.

• You now have 2 COD4 folders, one 1.6 and one 1.7.
    This is my favorite way to switch between 1.6 and 1.7, because i'm able to set the 1.6 directory in xfire to be able to connect through it.
    Using the Version Changer Xfire will start up 1.7 and you won't be able to connect to 1.6 servers from your fav list or join friends playing on 1.6.
    However this is just a personal preference.

[*]Manually: from 1.7 to 1.6.

• Barely ever the case someone needs to do this, but still here is how to do it.

• Incase you make a mistake, I advise you to copy the original 1.7 files that are going to be replaced to a seperate location, then continue to put the 1.6 files in. You can also change the files back to 1.7 and start playing 1.7 again, so you can switch at will.

• Overwrite the 1.7 files with the 1.6 files in your game directory to roll back to 1.6.

• Now to get this to work, you will also need to change the version in your registry so after you have replaced the files in the folders.

To do this go: Start Menu > Run > type "regedit" and hit enter
    Now in the registry do not touch anything else, but now you go.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Activision > Call Of Duty 4 > and here you change the version to 1.6 for MP and SP.

• Like 1

Note ... this isn't MY solution ... but I found it online and thought you might be interested in it ...

==========================================================================

How to change COD4 version from 1.6 to 1.7 and back.

You got a few options to do this:

templatecodmwversioncha.png

1. Version_Changer_v1.7.5.3_[uK]

• Make sure your game is patched up to v1.7 before installation.

• Do NOT change the predefined directory. It must be "\Call of Duty - Modern Warfare\Version_Changer".

• Use this on your own risk! This tool only applies to the english version of COD4!

[*]Manually: from 1.6 to 1.7.

• Browse to the directory where COD4 is installed (default in Windows XP: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\")

• Copy the entire folder "Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare" and paste it in the same root directory.
    It should look like this now: "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare - Copy\".
    For this example i am going to rename it to "C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare 1.7\".

• Now download Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare v1.7 Patch, unzip the file.
    Start CoD4MW-1.6-1.7-PatchSetup.exe, when youre prompted to the installation directory selection,
    select the new folder that you just created ("C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare 1.7\")
    Apply and finish installation.

• You now have 2 COD4 folders, one 1.6 and one 1.7.
    This is my favorite way to switch between 1.6 and 1.7, because i'm able to set the 1.6 directory in xfire to be able to connect through it.
    Using the Version Changer Xfire will start up 1.7 and you won't be able to connect to 1.6 servers from your fav list or join friends playing on 1.6.
    However this is just a personal preference.

[*]Manually: from 1.7 to 1.6.

• Barely ever the case someone needs to do this, but still here is how to do it.

• Incase you make a mistake, I advise you to copy the original 1.7 files that are going to be replaced to a seperate location, then continue to put the 1.6 files in. You can also change the files back to 1.7 and start playing 1.7 again, so you can switch at will.

• Overwrite the 1.7 files with the 1.6 files in your game directory to roll back to 1.6.

• Now to get this to work, you will also need to change the version in your registry so after you have replaced the files in the folders.

To do this go: Start Menu > Run > type "regedit" and hit enter
    Now in the registry do not touch anything else, but now you go.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Activision > Call Of Duty 4 > and here you change the version to 1.6 for MP and SP.

I tried this but there is no Activision folder in the regedit Software folder.

EDIT: despite me not completing the registry part, it worked anyway, thanks LA :)

Edited by ApfelGanja

EDIT: despite me not completing the registry part, it worked anyway, thanks LA :)

:hi Glad it helped and you got it working ...

I use =F|A= Dan's custom Version Changer he made up and posted here, I like it better than the UK version :thumbsup , however since he's now a Banned Member and his old links are defunct I guess if you didn't get a copy downloaded while it was up and active you're out of luck, and I assume the FA higher ups wouldn't want me posting it ... but it's simple, fast, and low on system requirements/usage so IMO a better option than the UK Version Changer. :dntk