New components

Ann!b@l

Hi all!!

I'm looking to built a new pc and I would like some feelings or if you know some components I don't know who could be better or less expansive prices for the same perf.. Today I'm going to start by 2 components and each month I will add some others..

So I' m going to click in some mins to buy a new GC and am still hesitating btw 2 GC:

this one for his amazing perf (my prefered): http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00130464.html

and this one for his good average perf/price for a gtx 670: http://www.magicpc.f...14b85e81bf165c5

I'm going to add to this buy desktop memory: http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00129540.html

I'm also hesitating btw these 2 MB in LGA 1155: http://www.ldlc.com/...7/msi-z77a-g45/

http://www.ldlc.com/...sus-p8z77-v-lk/

For the CPU it will be probably this one: http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00129891.html

The Hard D. : http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00125908.html

Edited by Annibal

nice mate, these vid cards are really nice, never had them but looking at them and their performance based on their website hype. i heard they are never cheap though. do you plan to change your existing mouse?

gtx 670 is useless

go for the cheaper gtx 660ti. Not that much difference, but cheaper :P

go for a non-windtunnel design (there are other types of cooling which perform better + being more silent)

edit 2: you can't really go wrong with RAM ^^

Edited by MrJoske

Biggest question is what motherboard do you plan to get and does that ram work in it? Need to know if the motherboard is pci express 3.0 as well.

Also Nvidia has a nice "compare and buy" page, shows different retailers and their prices for this card.

Edited by Waster

Biggest question is what motherboard do you plan to get and does that ram work in it? Need to know if the motherboard is pci express 3.0 as well.

Also Nvidia has a nice "compare and buy" page, shows different retailers and their prices for this card.

pci express 3.0 also doesn't really matter :P (for now)

if there is a difference it will be very small (under 10%)

But pretty sure ivy bridge (the cpu he probably is looking for) all support pci express 3.0 => not 100% sure though, should check

This one for example (the kind I wanted to buy) seems to not match (unfortunately) with LGA 1155 and works only on LGA 2011.. http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00123165.html

@Pinoy: naaah, I keep my deathadder.. :P

@Mr.Joske: CUDA cores and some other specifications are an important aspect to me so it will be a 670

@Waster: it will be pci E 3.0 16x for sure..

@Mr.Joske: good guess it will be Ivy B. since MB in Sandy B. (hesitated btw 3770k and the 3820 who is a cpu a bit cheaper) are very expensive..

About RAM it's only to allow me to OC all this at a good lvl (CPU+GPU+RAM)

Edited by Annibal

This one for example (the kind I wanted to buy) seems to not match (unfortunately) with LGA 1155 and works only on LGA 2011.. http://www.ldlc.com/...PB00123165.html

Why do you want 2133mHz kit, that's useless spending as far as I can tell.

But if you got a good reason, I'm curious :P

also, I didn't check but doesn't it affect (in a negative way) that speed the latencies of those ram modules

EDIT: yeah for overclocking it makes sense.

but now I'm curious why cuda cores are important for you...

(sorry, for being curious :P)

Edited by MrJoske

Why do you want 2133mHz kit, that's useless spending as far as I can tell.

But if you got a good reason, I'm curious :P

also, I didn't check but doesn't it affect (in a negative way) that speed the latencies of those ram modules

From what I have read in some test these RAM improve games only at 5% max with 2400hz.. But never read could affect in a negative way.. 1800 or 2133 but under these, is not in my wish.. Higher is useless I agree..

edit: CUDA cores like you probably know is one of important components to get smoother game (planning to buy COD4 and BF3 and play with a max of details and not be forced to sacrifie like with ET the renderer to enjoy)

Edited by Annibal

From what I have read in some test these RAM improve games only at 5% max with 2400hz.. But never read could affect in a negative way.. 1800 or 2133 but under these, is not in my wish.. Higher is useless I agree..

speed does effect the latencies of the ram, but that's kind of looking for problems where there are no problems XD

Probably won't slow your system down. just side remark.

EDIT: if I check 670 benchmarks on bf3 ultra (1920*1080 4x AA) I see 61 fps (average) . I would lower my settings to high, because well I wouldn't be happy with 61fps (660ti scores 52 btw)

Edited by MrJoske

edit: CUDA cores like you probably know is one of important components to get smoother game (planning to buy COD4 and BF3 and play with a max of details and not be forced to sacrifie like with ET the renderer to enjoy)

The 660TI has the same number of CUDA cores as the 670. The only three difference is the memory bandwidth, 192bit vs 256bit, the 670 exists with 2GB and 4GB, the 660Ti only with 2GB and 3GB, and the 670 (according to my specs) has 32 instead of 24 render output units, which according to my Wikipedia-reading-skills, means that it is only relevant if you have more than Full-HD screen. I'd guess the 660Ti and 670 are exactly the same chips.

Also, although CUDA cores says a lot, CUDA cores are not exactly how they are used for gaming. You actually use shaders and with CUDA, you can program those yourself (with some adaptations, which they made available a couple years ago). Generally more is better, on the other hand it depends on how you use them. For real CUDA purposes, the 5xx series were better than the 6xx series with the same number of CUDA cores. Anyway, offtopic :P

Don't spend too much in memory, unless you're overclocking you won't notice the difference. Best way to overclock is to increase the bus (or QPI I think it's called?), and that requires to overclock your memory as well (usually). You can quite easily see what others achieve on overclocking, and look up how fast your memory is supposed to be.

Personally, throw in an SSD. Those are awesome, although not directly visible in gaming. A 256GB costs slightly more than the 3TB disk, and if you don't need the storage, well, SSD :P

Personally, throw in an SSD. Those are awesome, although not directly visible in gaming. A 256GB costs slightly more than the 3TB disk, and if you don't need the storage, well, SSD :P

not visible in gaming :o

it is when launching bf3 maps XD

Launching maps is not part of gaming experience, only less waiting :P Of course that is why I'd recommend it, but it won't increase the fps

Launching maps is not part of gaming experience, only less waiting :P Of course that is why I'd recommend it, but it won't increase the fps

I had to wait 3-5 min every new map... (happened when playing on laptop with 5200rpm hdd, not on desktop)

it makes you distracted, so I disagree that launching maps isn't part of the game experience.

but yeah, I consider a ssd as vital as my hdd (6/9 pcs here at home only have ssd in it XD).

Edited by MrJoske

I use my big flat tv screen HD 1080p (37 inches) and would like to continu to use it with my pc even if I have a dedicated screen.. And I use my pc to watch and store lot of movies (some in HD)..

About RAM I have found this >>click<< and that's what I had already read (in french of course).. With Ivy it's a bit different from what they say..

for the GC, bandW is one of these components I would keep high.. Also, I have read 4GB was more multi screen based on memory needed to run all this (same for a Sli/Cfire with new GC) and tought 2GB were enough and cheaper.. Or it should be an AMD who has more memory (like the 7970) but I dislike now because of all pb got these last months (probably the AMD driver as usual)..

Edited by Annibal

I use my big flat tv screen HD 1080p (37 inches) and would like to continu to use it with my pc even if I have a dedicated screen.. And I use my pc to watch and store lot of movies (some in HD)..

About RAM I have found this >>click<< and that's what I had already read (in french of course).. With Ivy it's a bit different from what they say..

for the GC, bandW is one of these components I would keep high

Interesting read, never looked it up.

Still an improvement of 5%-10% makes me wonder if you would even notice it.

(I'm assuming that 20-30% increase for gaming is when using integrated graphics, which what you never would do to start with ^^)

And I also stick with the 660ti, if I check the benchmarks the difference are not big enough to justify the prize (I know benchmarks don't say everything). But well your choice, like always. Everybody got a different views on building a pc XD.