The planet is only BEGINNING to warm!

Pablin

In case you missed it: Bill McKibben was on Democracy Now on Wednesday, connecting the dots between this week's extreme weather events and the failure of political leadership around climate change.

Big time fossil fuel companies are f***in up the planet in the name of money.

I like burning fossil fuels. What now!

Funny how the title is "planet only beginning to warn", while global warming is crap. Global climate change might have some truth. Certain areas are indeed getting warmer and certain areas are getting colder. Believe it or not, the Earth goes in cycles too, it is way to early to say beyond a reason of a doubt that we are causing it to warm up or cool down anymore than usual. A lot more data has to be collected.

This video, well as much as I paid attention to it, takes more about climate change in general, not specifically that the world is warming up.

But don't get me wrong, I think we should find alternatives to fossil fuels. For the basic reasons that it might run out and its good to have a back up. Plus, new research may find something that is way more powerful, which would be awesome.

this isn´t 1995 , the science is there to prove that we are experiencing climate change........

Agreed! Now we need to know if its man made climate change. That's what all the argument is about.

I like burning fossil fuels. What now!

Funny how the title is "planet only beginning to warn", while global warming is crap. Global climate change might have some truth. Certain areas are indeed getting warmer and certain areas are getting colder. Believe it or not, the Earth goes in cycles too, it is way to early to say beyond a reason of a doubt that we are causing it to warm up or cool down anymore than usual. A lot more data has to be collected.

While it's true that there have been cyclical patterns of temperature change throughout the planet's history, this does not mean they are all the same or unknowable. Scientist have been able to link some cycles to specific causes. They also have shown that modern warming is due to added output of humans burning fossil fuels.

Instead of wasting resources trying to convince people that global warming is in fact real (they never will get it), people should focus on moving forward by championing solutions to this crisis that threatens this very planet.

Edited by Pici
  • Like 1

this isn´t 1995 , the science is there to prove that we are experiencing climate change........

17 years is not enough information to say without a doubt.

I'm not saying we shouldn't find new means of getting electricity and power for cars/ships/aircraft/spacecraft. My only point was, that there hasn't been enough time to really say if the climate change is b/c of us or just nature cycle.

Also, I was saying that this title doesn't make sense with the video.

Thats all :P

17 years is not enough information to say without a doubt.

I'm not saying we shouldn't find new means of getting electricity and power for cars/ships/aircraft/spacecraft. My only point was, that there hasn't been enough time to really say if the climate change is b/c of us or just nature cycle.

Also, I was saying that this title doesn't make sense with the video.

Thats all :P

there is most certainly more than 17 years of data. There is data going back to prehistoric ages. For instance, you can look at weather patterns by taking ice cores in the arctic, and look at the composition of the ice. it tells us what was going on in the atmosphere.

there is most certainly more than 17 years of data. There is data going back to prehistoric ages. For instance, you can look at weather patterns by taking ice cores in the arctic, and look at the composition of the ice. it tells us what was going on in the atmosphere.

I mean the data concerning out involvement in global climate change.

Plus 50 - 60 years ago, scientists thought we were going into a global ice age. They were actually looking for ways to heat up the planet.

Edited by ajnl

Man, I miss the 70's. Global cooling everywhere, awesome skiing during the winter. Those were the days.

I guess I'm just not a tropical person. Time to apply more sunblock.

Of course the earth is changing, just as it has over several thousand years. Can we really be arrogant enough to think we posses the ability to destroy it without some serious nuclear war disaster? I for one don't think we can kill the planet. I do however believe we have an effect on it when we remove natural forests and land in favor of concrete and living complexes but no way can we destroy it. If you believe in the bible it is foretold that 1/3 of the earth goes up in flames which who knows how it happens but i'd bet it is nuclear in how it would happen. Like i said, if you believe in the bible. If you don't thats fine, something happens whether or not you do. On another note, people eat up controversy and love discussing topics that are fear based, i believe that is human nature to be drawn to it.

Besides if the UN can tell enough stories and come up with "evidence" they will be able to do what i've been expecting to happen in my lifetime, that being charge for units of energy based on how much you use, that being in addition to your electric bill. Highly developed country's will get hit the hardest. Sorry, i don't have the articles of info on that topic for you to post here. I do not claim it as fact either but i do believe it is possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Leader

I recently watched a documentary on TV about the Sahara Desert. The program said that some 10,000 years ago, the Sahara was well watered by monsoon rains and had lush vegetation. The weather patterns changed and the region cooled off, and the monsoons stopped watering the Sahara. The people living there were forced to migrate.

The implication of this is that if Global Warming continues, our descendants may see the Sahara bloom again and become the breadbasket for the rest of the world. :hmm