HELP building new gaming pc?

IKILLCAMPERS

I fount my case , but need help with mother board and processors and video cards and sound cards, i want it to be super fast and so that i will not have to update it no time soon this will be for gaming and web only

Hmm, it depends of course. A really really fast processor isn't necessary for a gaming PC, it's more about the GPU and cooling.

Of course, you can't put a processor like the Intel Celeron in your PC if you don't want to update it to play the latest games.

But an I5 would do actually, till 2013-2014 (just a guess). I'd spend more on my GPU if I were you, and I'd go for an ATI GPU.

Nvidia is good for middle end GPU's, where ATI is good in high end GPU's. And a gaming PC should have an high end gpu...

You can check on this site: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/, which GPU you want (benchmarks).

Good luck!

Sound cards are only necessary if you are wanting to output sound via optical cable or output to dolby digital surround.

+1

Also knowing what case you have decided on can help others choose a good setup for you and not run into size issues. For instance if you have a mid-tower case and get a XL-ATX motherboard then your likely SOL and back to square 1.

Also does it matter where you buy your PC components from? Do you prefer the net or brick/mortar stores?

I fount my case , but need help with mother board and processors and video cards and sound cards, i want it to be super fast and so that i will not have to update it no time soon this will be for gaming and web only

You need a fast CPU to feed your graphics card or your system will "bottleneck" or be limited to the output of the CPU. My personal suggestion is the i5-2500k at around $220.00 dollars is one of the very best gaming CPUs you can buy. Motherboards are personal preference but anything MSI, ASUS, GIGABYTE, or AsRock will do the trick. You should also consider whether or not you want dual graphics cards (Nvidia - SLI, or AMD-Crossfire) and an adequate power supply to run multiple cards (preferably 850 watts and up). I build PCs for a living and love talking about it so please feel free to email me or message me in the forums.

PLUR,

Mako

I have a hard time recommending the i5 when the i7 2600k is only $80-90 more and you get double the processor. Games may not utilize it but windows will and it will ensure future proofing your CPU. If that is not worth $90 to you, then the i5 2500k is still a damn good processor.

Also, brands like EVGA and Corsair offer lifetime warranties on some of their products which is extremely nice to have.

Edited by TulsaGeoff

I have a hard time recommending the i5 when the i7 2600k is only $80-90 more and you get double the processor. Games may not utilize it but windows will and it will ensure future proofing your CPU. If that is not worth $90 to you, then the i5 2500k is still a damn good processor.

Also, brands like EVGA and Corsair offer lifetime warranties on some of their products which is extremely nice to have.

Geoff, the 2500 is a better gaming CPU which is what he is looking for. If your doing video or photo editing then the hyperthreading with the 2600 is the way to go. Save yourself 100 bucks and get a better graphics card or a SSD drive instead of wasting that money. For $90 the benchmarks only slightly favor the 2600 and for $20 more get the 2700k for that matter. Most people who bought the 2600 wished they had purchased the 2500 regarding gaming. Don't believe the Intel hype, look at the benchmarks.

I'm gaming on an amd rig and totally not having problems with my cpu being bottleneck (had crossfire 6850, one bricked), but yeah the i5 2500k is a great gaming CPU. I often recommend them to friends of me, most of the time ending up overclocking it for them (great overclocker).

EDIT: don't know how the Ivy Bridge perform, but I thought they were released (not sure though)

Edited by DrJoske
  • Like 1

I'm gaming on an amd rig and totally not having problems with my cpu being bottleneck (had crossfire 6850, one bricked), but yeah the i5 2500k is a great gaming CPU. I often recommend them to friends of me, most of the time ending up overclocking it for them (great overclocker).

EDIT: don't know how the Ivy Bridge perform, but I thought they were released (not sure though)

Not worth the upgrade if you already own 2500-2600-2700 Sandy Bridge chip. Although overclockers of Ivy have reached 7.0 GHZ lol. My new build will be Ivy because of the PCIE 3.0 architecture (doubles the bandwidth from x16 to x32 for a single GPU) but honestly Dr. the percentages over the Sandy are minimal at best. For now I will keep my Sandy and upgrade when the Z77 boards get sorted out.

If your a stat guy like me you might be interested in this.

http://vr-zone.com/a...down/15637.html

PS- i love AMD products but I admit the Bulldozer was a huge disappointment. Still an excellent alternative.

Edited by Mako

So Mako, the performances of Ivy Bridge chips are only slightly better then those of the Sandy Bridge chips?

Got an i7 2630QM here, and I must say I'm quite satisfied about its performances

So Mako, the performances of Ivy Bridge chips are only slightly better then those of the Sandy Bridge chips?

Got an i7 2630QM here, and I must say I'm quite satisfied about its performances

cpu performance increased with an average of 10% according to some benchmarks I saw, the gpu part improved more

Don't let people tell you to just pick whichever board, there is a difference and basically you get what you pay for. Everything travels on the motherboard, nothing bypasses it. I love the stability and reliability of Intel Motherboards. I used to build PCs for my business clients when I had a consulting biz. We ordered about 200 Intel boards while we were in business and we never had a DOA and never had one go bad. During that same time we ordered about 15 ASUS boards and had about 5 DOA and 2 or 3 more go bad within the first year. ASUS is a popular board and usually my second choice, but that is the quality difference my friend. I know people that have had DOA Intel boards and some that have gone bad, but not as often as others. Ever since we went to Intel our system warranty calls dropped to almost nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 2630 a lot and it's a nice improvement over the the Clarksdale Quads because of the hyperthreading. The 2630QM compares favorably to the I7-950, 960, and the 2500k. My wife has a notebook with the i-7 2670 QM stepped to 2.2ghz and i think it's a small upgrade honestly. I believe your chip consumes 45watts? and can go up to 2.7-2.9ghz? I might have to look that up.

Yes. the benchmarks between the 2500k, 2600k, and 2700k to the 3550, 3570, 3770 are minimal at best. Is 4-10% really worth buying a mobo, cpu if you already own the 2500k-2700k? Absolutely not. Buy a new GTX 670 or 680 and your 1155 system is off to the races. The 670 has shown a 25%-34% improvement over the GTX 570 in most cases. That would trump a CPU upgrade imo. Those differences can also easily be achieved with some mild overclocking. Now if your in the market for a new system by all the means go for the newest technology and go the 2011 cpu route.

My rig is a I5-750 Lynnfield (1156 chip) 2.66 default OCed to 4.04 on a Gigabyte P55M-UD4. I could go higher but it's overkill for todays games. I have two GTX 470s in SLI and can play anything out there with high-enthusiast quality. I'm waiting for Nvidia to sort out the artifacting problem with the GTX 670s and then I am going to upgrade with two of those badboys.

Edited by Mako