Two routers?

Krayzie

Hi guys, finally able to get back on the internet. My question now is am I able to plug a router into my new router/modem and it work?

I recently purchased the Motorola SBG6580 and it has a router built into it. But I also have a Netgear router. Am I able to plug my netgear router into my Motorola and it work properly? I am not able to access my netgear router via 192.168.0.1 anymore, so how would I be able to get on there to change the settings? Thanks for your help in advance!

How would I be able to get on the Netgear router? I can only manage to get on and change the Motorolas settings.

How would I be able to get on the Netgear router? I can only manage to get on and change the Motorolas settings.

Connect the first router to your pc and change the IP later connect the other to have access.

Connect the netgear router directly to your PC, turn it on and browse the netgear's IP address, so you can go the setup and change the IP. Save, reboot and confirm.

Even with the Netgear router connected with an ethernet cable I am to able to access it. Everything I try brings up the Motorola.

My Motorola Router/Modem is only showing two things connected which is my laptop, and my PS3.

I was able to logon to the Netgear by plugging it in with ethernet and typing routerlogin.net. They are both providing two different access points in my house now, which is what I wanted.

Since my Motorola is 300 MB/S and the Netgear is 150 MB/S does that mean I get 450 MB/S?  Also how would I be able to get them to run without interfering each other? My Motorola seems to get worse reception over the Netgear.

No. The general rule with dealing with computer components is that your performance is going to be limited by your slowest part. In this case you will get 150 mb/s. I'd say its okay though. You will never get close to that speed through your internet, and unless you have really fast multiple harddrive setups or solid state drives you won't be reading or writing that fast in a network.

Your SBG6580 is a 4 port switch and a wireless router in one. Why would you want to run both? Just run your modem, everything will be faster...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you have this setup yet or not, but you can come out of a LAN port on the motorola to the WAN port on the Netgear. Each device needs to be on a separate subnet (192.168.0.x for the Motorola and 192.168.1.x for the Netgear, just as examples) This way your Netgear will get its WAN information from the Motorola's DHCP server. So you have to make sure the Motorola is set as a DHCP server (unless you are savvy enough to set this up manually) and that the WAN port is set for DHCP on its IP settings. What you are doing is routing to a router, which is basically what happens all over the internet. You can have one problem if you setup this way, that is port fowarding. Someone mentioned bridge mode, if the Motorola has it, use it. Bridge mode will let all traffic pass through the motorola straight to the Netgear and let it act as the one and only router in your network. You may need to connect your PC to each router individually to set this up on different subnets. Your computer will not be able to talk accross subnets to the devices. Aslo you will need to do a release/renew on your IP address when changing from Netgear to Motorola to ensure you are on the same network range (subnet) as the device you are connecting to. Now that I typed all of this it just dawned on me, why do you want to use both? Is it just because you have wireless on the Netgear and not the Motorola? If so I have a simple solution for you, but I will wait to see what you say back.

Sorry, was going to do it to try and get two routers working. Sold that router though. Thanks though!

/locked