New Router help

Krayzie

With tax returns creeping around the corner, I'm about to get my interent working again with a new Modem. I have already picked out which modem to get which is the Motorola SB6120 the hard part for me right now is which router to pick. I am looking at the Netgear WNDR3700 or the Linksys E3200. Which one is better for streaming netflix, downloading music/videos, and playing games on the computer, as well as on the PS3. Also I have a 3TB Seagate Network modem that I need to be able to transfer all my files to and from! Thanks for the help! Hope to be back in the games soon!

Modem: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UI2FPE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A3LK7K06HKW37C

Linksys: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR7C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Netgear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRJY4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That modem is interesting. From the look of it you can only have coax in, ethernet out to the router. Do you know if your internet comes in from coax? As far as the specs go, those routers are pretty much identical. I like the linksys because it looks nicer imo, but it's probably the same price as the netgear one. Really I would go with whichever one is cheaper.

I'm with Bi0s, we have the n600 too at home; worked like a charm.

For stupid reasons our cable provider however gave a modem with router combined, which does not work well with the n600....

Yes its a cable modem :P As well as the N600 being 30 bucks cheaper, that's what I was thinking, but need speed si games don't lag and netflix doesn't have to load every five minutes.

For streaming and gaming you don't need speed, you need a stable connection. Pretty much all routers in that price range are sufficient for that.

For downloading, if you're using torrents you need to be able to handle a lot of different connections. In my experience the Cisco wasn't great at it (but that was a WRT54G, oldie, but that was the best of that time...), so I wouldn't buy a Cisco. On the other hand, many people really like it. It's a matter of preference I guess.

I like them both. But I need the one that works best for everything I have :P I'm tired of having to turn off a laptop to watch a Netflix movie or to play the PS3 because my router is a 4 year old cheapio Netgear router that was like 50 bucks. Want to go to the gigabit instead now, and use the 600mbps compared to the 100mbps I was getting.

I like them both. But I need the one that works best for everything I have :P I'm tired of having to turn off a laptop to watch a Netflix movie or to play the PS3 because my router is a 4 year old cheapio Netgear router that was like 50 bucks. Want to go to the gigabit instead now, and use the 600mbps compared to the 100mbps I was getting.

Let me guess, its a WRT614? Those are great little routers as long as you don't need more than 1 stream going.

I just happened to have helped a buddy of mine out with this same question a week ago. Long story short he ended up with the N600 for his family. They run a PS3, 1 tethered computer, 2 laptops, 3 cell phones on wifi and their TV streaming netflix. He's not a technical guy but after reading many reviews from many places I suggested he check out the N600. He set it up himself within a few minutes and has ample wifi coverage on his property. He's been really pleased with it and hasn't had to mess with anything since setup.

Personally I run an old DIR-655, but the newer revisions of the hardware were more of a downgrade as were some of the firmware updates. I'd suggest staying away from them.

On another note, double check reviews with revision and firmware changes. Occasionally a new firmware introduces more problems than solutions and gives many people a hard time. I generally like to read reviews of a firmware update prior to installing it myself. The same goes with revision changes. For instance if you want to go with the N600-WNDR3700 V3, it currently isn't supported by DD-WRT.

Check out Newegg.com for some reviews as well if you haven't already.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1233&SubCategory=145&name=Netgear-Inc-Wireless-Routers&Order=RATING

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1413&SubCategory=145&name=Linksys-Wireless-Routers&Order=RATING

Good luck and post back with w/e you get and your experience in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

Let me guess, its a WRT614? Those are great little routers as long as you don't need more than 1 stream going.

I just happened to have helped a buddy of mine out with this same question a week ago. Long story short he ended up with the N600 for his family. They run a PS3, 1 tethered computer, 2 laptops, 3 cell phones on wifi and their TV streaming netflix. He's not a technical guy but after reading many reviews from many places I suggested he check out the N600. He set it up himself within a few minutes and has ample wifi coverage on his property. He's been really pleased with it and hasn't had to mess with anything since setup.

Personally I run an old DIR-655, but the newer revisions of the hardware were more of a downgrade as were some of the firmware updates. I'd suggest staying away from them.

On another note, double check reviews with revision and firmware changes. Occasionally a new firmware introduces more problems than solutions and gives many people a hard time. I generally like to read reviews of a firmware update prior to installing it myself. The same goes with revision changes. For instance if you want to go with the N600-WNDR3700 V3, it currently isn't supported by DD-WRT.

Check out Newegg.com for some reviews as well if you haven't already.

http://www.newegg.co...rs&Order=RATING

http://www.newegg.co...rs&Order=RATING

Good luck and post back with w/e you get and your experience in case others find themselves in a similar situation.

Its actually the WNR1000v2, so instead its 150mbps but not near enough for what I want. I have two laptops, a ps3, a tethered computer, a blu ray player, and two cell phones :/ I can't use my computer and watch a movie on Netflix without it having to buffer every minute or so. :P Already knew it was time to upgrade though. Will probably go with the N600. Most poeple seem that they like that one more, and it is about 35 dollars cheaper for pretty much the same thing. Will let everyone know how my experience is once I buy it.

well since I just got a new router recently which is part linksys, Id go with that but looks their pretty much the same by looking at the features