First gun shopping.

Antichrist

My girlfriend and I were always into relaxing hobbies. We were most recently shooting .177 cal air guns for target shooting.

Today we're going to a local store that has a surplus of 1930-1944 Mosin Nagant M91/30 rifles. They were issued to Soviet infantry, and are now being sold as surplus. It's a bolt action rifle, with a 5 round cartridge. It will fire SP, and FMJ rounds.

They fire a 7.62x54mm round, Effective range of 550y (500m) And with an optional scope, have an effective range of 820y+ (750m+) and is capable of penetrating up to an inch of steel.

The gun:

128328380447.jpg

Muzzleflash:

PICT046520M3820blast20PS.jpg

We should be going this afternoon. I'll post back with real pictures if we decide to get it :)

• Like 2

Yeh, I picked one of these up. I have a 1942 Itzveschk model, pics of it in my gallery. Also got vids of it on youtube. Good starter rifle, and you can get about 500 rounds of it for 100 bucks if you shop online. I still got about 300 rds left from the last batch I bought.

Marines in Afganistan are (unfortunately) still encountering this rifle in the field, and getting fire from it from up to 500 yards..

The gun is on backorder, so I have to wait 4-6 weeks. I was hoping to bring it home today. :(

I looked at a few other rifles but nothing could offer the range, and caliber for anything close to $99. So when it comes in I'll post some pictures :)

Gander Mountain. You can also find them online as well for the same, and sometimes less. I saw one for $89 yesterday, but it didn't include the oiler. Only came with the bayonet, sling, and cartridge pouches. You have to have it shipped to someone with a C&R and/or FFL license, and pay transfer fees from what I read.

http://www.gandermou...enterfire_Rifle

I see a few stores near you Wiz, and according to the advertisement, the gun is offered at the same $99 price. But it might also be on backorder. I'd go get a raincheck anyways. If you change your mind, when they call you when it comes in, you just don't have to go pick it up. You don't need to spend any $ just to get the raincheck for the item :)

Also, I watched some videos of people shooting the Mosin, and didn't see any muzzle flash like that picture. I'm guessing it's going to depend on the type of round used. One guy was using surplus rounds, and he had minimal kick, and zero muzzle flash.

I'm sure KevinBacon can add more to this since he already owns one.

You have to have it shipped to someone with a C&R and/or FFL license, and pay transfer fees from what I read.

Yeah, I used http://www.gunbroker...lerNetwork.aspx to find a dealer to have my guns shipped to. It also states the cost to expect. I would stick to an established range or big store rather than some individual that you don't know. I paid $20, some are less and some ranges will allow for free FFL transfers if you are a member.

You can also check out this site for the same purpose. http://www.budsgunsh...catalog/ffl.php Buds Gun Shop is a good place to buy guns.

How long is the range that you plan on shooting at? Also, most indoor ranges don't allow steel cased or magnetic ammo. Do you plan on shooting indoors and do you know the ranges rules on that? New brass ammo is going to be extremely costly if you can't shoot the steel stuff.Not sure what the standard military surplus rounds of this stuff consist of.

Looks like a fun gun. I just attempted to buy a black friday 9mm subcompact for carry/defense but I debated too long and missed out today :(

Standard surplus ammo is steel cased, but corrosive so I clean mine after everytime I take it out.

All of my surplus ammo is from the 70's, but it was sealed in an airtight can so it works just fine. Dragunov rifles take the same ammo.

Where would you get the surplus rounds for it? Buds? I've look there several times for a gun but never for surplus ammo.

cool...i love bolt-action rifles...they look awesome, and i really appreciate the history. if i'm not mistaken, bolt-actions are popular hunting rifles these days...you guys plan on hunting soon?