Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Chuckun

Hey guys.. With my new harddrive coming tomorrow, i'm frizbee'ing my windows disc out the window and going back to Linux. Had enough of Windows' bullshit.

I find myself in a predicament though. I tried Kubuntu before but always used Ubuntu because I like GNOME... But KDE is apparently superior, especially for offsite management etc..

I like how Kubuntu looks too.. And I'm looking to use it rather than Ubuntu this time..

Can anyone give me a reason NOT to use Kubuntu? Is there anything I'm unaware of..? Anything that might cause me a problem?

Seriously, post ANY annoyances you know of about Kubuntu - I can then look to see if that will affect me at all..

Thanks folks :D

Chuck

• Clan Friend

I can't help you on this, but I think the rise of Linux Mint over Ubuntu is based also on, among other reasons, the horrible (for me, even if I admit I tried it only for a few time) Unity interface of new Ubuntus... lots of tutorials on 'remove Unity' around, hehe :D

I have tried the latest Fedora, and I had to get used to Gnome3, now if I had to switch from Gnome2 to something else I wouldn't know what desktop I could choose...

As regards Kubuntu specific problems I don't know...

The only thing i know about is, that with the "build-in" nvidia-driver there were some users who complained about the computer freezing whenever they minimized or maximized windows. This should be fixed with drivers newer than "275.09.07"

EDIT: And there are some third party programs that don't work that well in the kde environment. As far as I know dropbox for example officially only provides a nautilus plugin.

@sunlight "sudo apt-get install gnome-shell" is all you need to get the standard gnome3 running on ubuntu :P

Happy *in'

i am using kubuntu separate installation and ubuntu using wubi within windows 7

i love kubuntu !

the only problem is kubuntu 11.10 doesnt have the necessary tools preinstalled like other distributions i have seen

the newer version uses kde for ppl who dont care about unity interface(i hate it)

so once u install it, you will have to get all necessary tools installed manually.

but apart from that it works great with all the desktop effects and stuff.

Edited by tdkxeon

I might just install ubuntu and then sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop...

Apparently doing that I can just use the session manager thing on the login screen... Is that true? I've never really done stuff like that, only small tweaking and experimenting within gnome..

Didn't the new ubuntu use unity instead of gnome (or can you choose)?

never used Kubuntu, using opensuse (but that was because they told me not to use kubuntu to test KDE)

I might just install ubuntu and then sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop...

Apparently doing that I can just use the session manager thing on the login screen... Is that true? I've never really done stuff like that, only small tweaking and experimenting within gnome..

Yeah, that works too. It also installs the standard applications for kde. Which might clutter your distribution though, as the last time I did that, i had every gnome application in kde and every kde application in gnome, which cluttered the "startmenu" quite heavily. That was with 9.04 though (not 100% sure, as i am old or i was drunk back then. Or both).

I can test it, if you want and then report to you.^^

Happy *in'

Yeah, that works too. It also installs the standard applications for kde. Which might clutter your distribution though, as the last time I did that, i had every gnome application in kde and every kde application in gnome, which cluttered the "startmenu" quite heavily. That was with 9.04 though (not 100% sure, as i am old or i was drunk back then. Or both).

I can test it, if you want and then report to you.^^

Happy *in'

Ah thanks.. No worries on testing it, I'll just try it and if it does indeed still do that, I'll uninstall one or the other :)

Chuck

I can't help you on this, but I think the rise of Linux Mint over Ubuntu is based also on, among other reasons, the horrible (for me, even if I admit I tried it only for a few time) Unity interface of new Ubuntus... lots of tutorials on 'remove Unity' around, hehe :D

I have tried the latest Fedora, and I had to get used to Gnome3, now if I had to switch from Gnome2 to something else I wouldn't know what desktop I could choose...

As regards Kubuntu specific problems I don't know...

So far mint has been an absolute pain in the ass. Problem after problem. Finally got everything stable and now I find out that the fix for et sound doesn't work because of how mint works... So is there another fix? I found this: http://forums.linuxm...hp?f=47&t=80728 but it doesn't work..

EDIT: Nevermind, i removed esound package and it sorted it (in conjunction with the above fix) - woo!

EDIT2: I cant get et to read autoexec.cfg :/ It's in /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etmain/ and /~.etwolf/etmain/ but it doesn't exec anything.. (it says it execs it but doesn't load any binds / vars in autoexec.. it doesnt even set my name..

• Clan Friend

EDIT2: I cant get et to read autoexec.cfg :/ It's in /usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etmain/ and /~.etwolf/etmain/ but it doesn't exec anything.. (it says it execs it but doesn't load any binds / vars in autoexec.. it doesnt even set my name..

My autoexec is only in my home folder, but I have put it in every mod folder. Any messages in your log? Have you tried to do /exec autoexec and check the vars after it?

p.s.

I use Fedora not mint

Ok not a single linux distro seems to work with my laptop. And everyone I found using the Dell L501/2x with Nvidia cards has the same problems I have. No GL support, no X Server support, nothing works.

Windows it is. *sigh*

EDIT: Back on windows now.. I'm disgusted to see this is what the current Linux situation has made me resort to.

Why no gl support? You need legacy drivers that don't support latest kernel versions or? Just curious

Well I was recommended (by each linux distro) to add proprietry drivers for Nvidia 3D Accellerated GFX Card... And I had the openGL package installed from synaptics manager, reinstalled it to make sure, but nothing.. Running ET from the terminal I was able to see the errors.. (Don't remember them now) which when I searched them, I found many people asking for answers, all of which were saying they had my laptop with variations of the GeForce 400 / 500 M series.. Just seems incompatible with anything to do with linux.

So did you try the proprietary drivers? I have Ubuntu 11.10 on my Dell laptop with Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS and used the proprietary driver (set to current) and it works fine. I would think they would work with yours but I am new to all this and running it just to learn linux because Win7 seems just as fast and more stable from my basic experience.