World Welcomes 7 Billionth Baby

DJ aka GDR DJ

World Welcomes 7 Billionth Baby

The world's population hit 7 billion on Monday amid celebrations and concerns about how the growing number of people will impact the earth's resources.

The United Nations chose October 31 to mark the milestone.

Although it is impossible to pinpoint the arrival of the world's 7 billionth baby, the Philippines was the first country to publicly declare the symbolic feat. Danica May Camacho was delivered just before midnight Sunday in a Manila hospital.

Celebrations were also held in India, which could soon overtake China as the world's most populous nation.

While the population's 7 billion milestone is seen as a sign of increased longevity and improved birth survival rates, experts also warn of the growing population's struggle for resources, including food and water.

Officials with the U.N. Population Fund say many low-income countries of sub-Saharan Africa and some in Asia have seen a growth in population that is outpacing economic growth rates.

Fertility rates in many European nations and Japan have dropped below the replacement rate, causing concern that shortages of labor and productivity could threaten the quality of life.

apphilippinesbaby31oct1.jpg

Danica Camacho is cuddled by her mother as they are wheeled out of the delivery room of the

Government's Fabella Hospital moments after she was born October 31, 2011 in the Philippines.

According to the latest U.N. figures, the world’s population is projected to surge past 9 billion before 2050 and reach 10.1 billion by the end of the century if current fertility rates continue at expected levels.

China's population of 1.34 billion is currently the world's highest. India comes in second, with 1.2 billion.

Asia's population of 4.2 billion makes it the world's most populous region.

Africa's population is expected to triple to 3.6 billion people by the start of the next century.

Source

DJ

Yes a lot of people are trying to claim the title lol, I saw it on the news earlier.

Who cares if someone's the 7billionth baby anyways? A baby is a baby...geez!

Well the thing is we'll never really know for certain who it is... so why does it matter? lol.

For all anybody really knows we could've been at 7,000,004,503 when this person claimed the title.

Well the thing is we'll never really know for certain who it is... so why does it matter? lol.

For all anybody really knows we could've been at 7,000,004,503 when this person claimed the title.

Maybe the baby was born in the middle of nowhere where they don't even have internet and whatever else xD Maybe somewhere in Africa, yeah who knows :]

• Like 1

Maybe the baby was born in the middle of nowhere where they don't even have internet and whatever else xD Maybe somewhere in Africa, yeah who knows :]

Exactly what I was trying to say. :)

Look at that.... my 100th post and your 100th like.

I believe a celebration is in order.

Damn toooooooooooooooooooo many people ... >.<

The only problem is it's going to get exponentially worse in our life time... and guess what... there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. We all want to live long lives and never want to see anybody else die. Welcome to planet earth... population - too much.

I find it really interesting and cool that the worlds population has hit 7 billion! I know everyone would love to say "Hey I'm the 7 billionth child born in the world", sadly we don't have the technology to record every birth in the world to prove it, as Alexandra said a baby is a baby.. Embrace the moment, it'll never happen to the same child again as they're older everyday :)

The only problem is it's going to get exponentially worse in our life time... and guess what... there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. We all want to live long lives and never want to see anybody else die. Welcome to planet earth... population - too much.

Well, who would seriously want to die? Unless you're real unhappy with your life, I don't think I could find one person that wants to die.

Well, who would seriously want to die? Unless you're real unhappy with your life, I don't think I could find one person that wants to die.

I'm not saying that I or anyone else wants to die. I'm just saying as we find ways to live longer and longer the world is going to continue to get more and more populated.

Also interesting:

India's population to surpass the population of China

Compare the size of China and India, the population density in India is already about 3 times higher than in China and 9 time higher than we have in Austria (data from 2010). Even more impressive is the population density in Mumbai, unbelievable 30,000 people per square kilometer. It is really hard to imagine those numbers when you grow up in a little town of 1000 people..