Linuxmint Linux Distro

PiNoY

Well you can still uninstall/disable/replace stuff even if you choose Ubuntu, or maybe choose a lighter desktop environment.

For example I have an ultraold pentium3 with 256mb ram which is prehistoric, but I use it for some things (not to play et ofc) at first I tried some Linux especially made for slow/old pcs, like Puppy Linux, etc., they were fine, but a bit limited.

Then I just cloned the same Fedora I have in my pc, and I replaced Gnome with Openbox, and installed some lighter stuff, and/or disabled services and other things I didn't need. It runs as fast as those lightweight distros but I have all my software, and I think it's even a bit more stable.

Yeah I've tried puppy too with system that didn't even have a hardrive :D, but ur right it's very limited :/ I think gnome is light enough for my hardware :D

Yeah I've tried puppy too with system that didn't even have a hardrive :D, but ur right it's very limited :/ I think gnome is light enough for my hardware :D

Gnome is one of the heaviest applications on Linux. If you want it light-weight, choose XFCE (xubuntu). Works quite nice as well. "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" after installing ubuntu server is all you need. Or remove gnome by "sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop" first on ubuntu-normal. I don't remember exactly how unbuntu likes having two desktop environments, but I doubt very well.

Or go for Fluxbox and choose your own desktop accessories. Other than the need to configure everything manual the best window manager I had on Linux. But that's not something I'd recommend :P

Gnome is one of the heaviest applications on Linux. If you want it light-weight, choose XFCE (xubuntu). Works quite nice as well. "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" after installing ubuntu server is all you need. Or remove gnome by "sudo apt-get remove gnome-desktop" first on ubuntu-normal. I don't remember exactly how unbuntu likes having two desktop environments, but I doubt very well.

Or go for Fluxbox and choose your own desktop accessories. Other than the need to configure everything manual the best window manager I had on Linux. But that's not something I'd recommend :P

Thanx rolf! i have always kept Gnome as lightweight but bcoz of ur advice I will install XFCE tonight and replace my unity (unity sucks) :) actually i've tried KDE and XFCE with fedora but never tested kubuntu/xubuntu. PS. Unity / Gnome works fine together :app_2: