Linuxmint Linux Distro

PiNoY

and so, I tried the latest Ubuntu, much improvements with Unity and kinda like it atm, staying with latest Ubuntu but staying with Win7 for ET, I have more FPS under Win7 XD

• Clan Friend

and so, I tried the latest Ubuntu, much improvements with Unity and kinda like it atm, staying with latest Ubuntu but staying with Win7 for ET, I have more FPS under Win7 XD

Which drivers are you using on Linux for your gfx card?

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from ubuntu 12 to mint 11, just to get rid of unity. I had a bit of trouble initially with my wireless card (laptop) but it's sorted now, and running very fast.

post-8437-0-21754400-1337117035_thumb.png

I know mint 12 has been released, but they switched away from classic gnome :(

very cool. Think I'll wait for mint 13, just to see if the bugs get worked out. Thanks for the heads up though, can't stay on 11 forever ;)

Which drivers are you using on Linux for your gfx card?

Nvidia drivers provided by Ubuntu repos

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now running mint 13 with cinnamon on my desktop. I had to use 64 bit due to the fact I have 16 gb of ram. Despite this, I managed to get ET running (with sound even!) and everything is sorted out.

I gotta say, mint is hellaciously fast, and the shell looks beautiful. So glad to get rid of winbloze.

I also am using minidlna to stream to my wd live box...although I'll try to get serviio running properly here in a coupla weeks.

• 3 months later...

Would u prefer Ubuntu 12.04 or Mint 13 for W.ET :exclaim I just bought a new GPU for my linux.

Yes why not. You can have both of them into your multi partitions if you want or have them both inside your virtual OS, lots of alternatives to have them one or both. Am posting from latest Ubuntu btw.

Yes why not. You can have both of them into your multi partitions if you want or have them both inside your virtual OS, lots of alternatives to have them one or both. Am posting from latest Ubuntu btw.

Yah. I know I CAN install both but if u had to choose which one would u install for W:ET? Is there any compatibly problems?

Personally I could not remember any compatibility issues at least from my end when using Ubuntu or Linux Mint. One thing I noticed is that, I could not achieve a higher FPS by default setup in Linux, not like in Windows. Though I didnt try to fix that, maybe one of these days.

• Clan Friend

I don't think the Linux distro you use will have an impact on your ET installation, Linux is Linux, you can install ET on any Linux distribution you like.

At most the difference between 32 and 64 bits could affect performance, or make et install a bit harder (since ET is 32 bits) but I think it would run at the same speed.

And also how much stuff you have running in background, some distros could have more stuff and heavier stuff running by default, but imho there won't be much differences unless you have an old machine with few ram.

Atm I have a 32bit Linux (Fedora) soon I would like to try Arch, and I'll install 64bit, so I'll see if ET runs as fine with 64 bits or not. On Linux I get a bit more fps than Windows, by the way, and in servers with pb it's much more stable and lag free. Pity that tzac is windows only so if I play etpro I can't play from Linux (edit: or rather I could, but not in servers with tzac, and those are the servers where I usually play when I play etpro).

Edited by SunLight

I don't think the Linux distro you use will have an impact on your ET installation, Linux is Linux, you can install ET on any Linux distribution you like.

At most the difference between 32 and 64 bits could affect performance, or make et install a bit harder (since ET is 32 bits) but I think it would run at the same speed.

And also how much stuff you have running in background, some distros could have more stuff and heavier stuff running by default, but imho there won't be much differences unless you have an old machine with few ram.

Atm I have a 32bit Linux (Fedora) soon I would like to try Arch, and I'll install 64bit, so I'll see if ET runs as fine with 64 bits or not. On Linux I get a bit more fps than Windows, by the way, and in servers with pb it's much more stable and lag free. Pity that tzac is windows only so if I play etpro I can't play from Linux.

Actually i have medium hardware for my linux and I wan't it to run as fast as possible with 40 GB HDD but I think I can't use TinyCore to run ET :D so maybe I stick with ubuntu 12.04 if there's not know bugs:) :thanks for your advice SunLight!

• Clan Friend

Actually i have medium hardware for my linux and I wan't it to run as fast as possible with 40 GB HDD but I think I can't use TinyCore to run ET :D so maybe I stick with ubuntu 12.04 if there's not know bugs:) :thanks for your advice SunLight!

Well you can still uninstall/disable/replace stuff even if you choose Ubuntu, or maybe choose a lighter desktop environment.

For example I have an ultraold pentium3 with 256mb ram which is prehistoric, but I use it for some things (not to play et ofc) at first I tried some Linux especially made for slow/old pcs, like Puppy Linux, etc., they were fine, but a bit limited.

Then I just cloned the same Fedora I have in my pc, and I replaced Gnome with Openbox, and installed some lighter stuff, and/or disabled services and other things I didn't need. It runs as fast as those lightweight distros but I have all my software, and I think it's even a bit more stable.