Playstation Vita

JayC

ps-vita.png

Launches: End of 2011

Specs:

CPU: ARM® Cortex™- A9 core (4 core)

GPU: SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)

(tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen: (Touch Screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear Touch Pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera

Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone

Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,

three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Keys / Switches:

PS button,

Power button

Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)

Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)

Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)

Right stick, Left stick

START button, SELECT button

Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless Communications:

Mobile network connectivity (3G)

IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi)(Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)

Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Prices:

Wifi Only: Euro 249, USD 249, GBP 229

Wifi+3G : Euro 299, USD 299, GBP 279 + Mobile contract?

More info @ http://us.playstation.com/psvita/

I still have my old first gen psp, although games like Killzone and Crisis Core were good there just wasn't much else.

One neat feature is they will allow you to play with Ps3 users on certain games. But.. unless they dish out a respectable amount of good games, i have no interest.

I have a feeling that this is a doomed platform. I've read that PSP sales have been sub-par at best lately, and with all of the new "Super-Phones" coming out lately, I don't see much of a draw for hand held gaming devices. Basically the Vita looks like a smart phone on steroids, except you can't make calls on it? Sony even released a playstation-like phone already: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-PLAY-CDMA_id5214

If I were Sony (or any other gaming platform) I would put my money on the smartphone market.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Update on releasedate:

United States end of 2011

Europe begin 2012

Its a pretty cool device, Theres a touch pad on the backside which u can/must use during a game. Instead moving the camera with a stick or button u can just move the PSVita to look around.

• 1 year later...

When my brother and I were younger we stiffed some people at school we hated of their PSP's and would play games like God of War and some racing one that was epic every night. That was until our parents found out. :( I was thinking of getting a PS vita, but I think I will stick with the PSP. Cheaper and more games.

I am assuming that Madden is a sports game? If so I don't care for those. I really like racing games on the PS devices. It is so much easier to handle and I have a habit of turnig the game system when I am turning the car in the game, so it is nice to have the system set up the way it is.

The Vita plays Vita specific games in either hardcopy or softcopy format. You may also download PSP and PS One games now too. There is a decent selection now, but nothing I believe that is exclusive to Vita which would require everyone to run out and get one. Think the price will come down this holiday season. I already have one and love it.

• 1 year later...

Errr...unsure about psvita if its worth buying it at least for me.. not really sure what it is to be honest.

And hope you are aware that you are reviving a year old topic. If need be, I'd suggest in the future also to create a new topic rather than revive a year old one. GL