Jaymod with ENH 1.0.9d

Barn!e

Hi, I have recently been playing on your Beginners server mainly because of best ping.

I wondered if you are doing any development on ENH Mod as I have recently tested and played with this MOD. To make admins lives easier its quite quick to setup custom commands which would show under the !mycmds. For example !nobots, !10bots, !20bots etc. This would make life a lot easier for admins who spend a lot of time putting bots spec once we are at 5 v 5 humans, for example.

I used.

[command]

command = nobots

desc = Bots off this map

exec = bot maxbots -1; bot kickall

levels = 999 777 666 400 300 200

I would also like to make a request. Anyone with a cl_timenudge of -10 or more is obviously using it for kill gain. As it can exploit hitbox lag and makes them hard to hit. Or it used to, plus the extra strain on the server itself. Back in the day when antilag wasnt in the MOD and you had a 300+ ping it made sense. Now its just Ramboes using it to be as unhittable as poss in my opinion. Especially when they have sub 60 ping. Just a thought.

Other than that a great server and hopefully I can donate soon.

Cheers,

Barn!e

• Clan Friend

You say that timenudge makes players 'hard to hit', that's a myth.

(warning, boring and long post ahead!) ;)

And by the way, what do you mean by 'hard to hit'? I could think about 2 different definitions:

definition 1.

hard to hit = I didn't hit player1 in 'that' position (even though I aimed well), but I would have hit player2 in the same position.

this is obviously impossible, and by the way the chance of a player being in the same position (with the same coordinates, direction, animation frame etc. etc.) and the server choosing the same random number for your bullet trajectory (yes, bullets are random in et) is close to zero. so it's impossible to test it in practice, but only think about it in theory. and anyone who knows a bit how hitboxes, etc. work, knows it's not possible.

after all, if a player is in the very same position he will have the same hitboxes so if you hit player1 you would hit player2 and vice versa with missing both player1 and player2.

definition 2.

hard to hit = player x moves in a 'warpy' fashion, so it's hard for me to track him (it could be also moving skill + aim skill, since hitting under fire is harder), but if I aim at him I will hit him.

This happens all the time, but *not* because of timenudge.

Timenudge can't make you warp, the only way to 'warp' is moving a lot in a snapshot and not at all in another. That is not sending commands to the server smoothly. It has nothing to do with timenudge or high ping, it's all about how smooth your ping is.

For example, if you make a graph of the distance a player moves between a server snapshot and another, ideally he should move the same amout every server snapshot. (if he moves in a straight line with a costant speed, no gammajumping or circlestrafing, etc.)

In reality, this doesn't happen even in lan. So everyone warps.

But it's true that *some* players send packets less evenly, so they warp more than others. Just compare a player with 30 maxpackets with a player with 100. (Even without writing a custom mod to watch a demo and check the distance I told you, you can watch a demo with a veery low timescale, and see that warpers move for a while, then they stop, then they move again, etc. etc.)

If you have 2 pcs you can join an empty server twice, and see yourself from spectator with 100 maxpackets and 15 or 30, while strafing left-right. There is a clear difference. So whining about maxpackets could be ok, but timenudge... honestly I don't think it makes sense.

The problem with most et players, is that they don't have much knowledge about the game engine, so they just keep parroting (no offence meant) things they hear from others, who, in turn, don't know anything about it themselves.

No offence meant, but if you don't know what timenudge does, and how it works, how do you know that 'it makes players hard to hit'? (given that you don't even know how hitboxes and hit detection work?)

Because you heard it from others?

Think about it, 99%+ of et players don't know how the game engine works behind the curtains. If 'everybody' says something, the safest assumption would be that it's not correct.

Try to play with timenudge yourself, and see if you kill opponents more easily or not. Of course it's not a 'scientific' test, but you could easily see by yourself that there won't be any difference at all.

You are probably right it just always feels like the guys with the nudges and no real ping issues to speak of are the ones that "appear" hard to hit. I know nudge is asking the server to add mili second delays to position etc. Which is why sometimes you are hit when you are already right off round the corner.

I am not one for just repeating something i heard and I am a little offended by that. I do try and look at it myself before I make any comment. I have been on ET since 2005 and my opinion on this hasnt changed in all that time. If I add nudge myself I just find im lagging more. However over the years the main concern has been -50 with g_antilag 0. As you dont get the players antilag setting from /players its hard to tell if they are using the nudge to be unhit. Which has been proven over and over again cl_timenudge -20 or greater plus g_antilag 0 = hard to hit warp. FACT. :)

• Clan Friend

I am not one for just repeating something i heard and I am a little offended by that.

First of all I give you my apologies, since I didn't mean to offend you in any way,

many times I could sound like a smartass, but that 'smartass-ishness' comes from the fact that in the last 4.5 years I have played a lot almost every mod (especially etpro and jaymod), written server and client configs including lua mods, gathering knowledge from all possible websites and forums (especially reading carefully all posts by etpro developers in their forum) and, last but not least, modded.

That means that, while I'm by no means an et guru, I still know a lot of stuff, and I have no problems checking something in et source code if I need to know how that feature works, or even writing a little mod just to check something.

Now, as Daredevil pointed out, timenudge can never be lower than -30. Since that minimum value is hardcoded, when you talk about people with -50 you should say -30.

Secondly, timenudge can't move hitboxes away from the players, because as I have already written in another thread here in this forum, what you see are the snapshots sent to you by the server, and these snapshots are stored and used by antilag to check if you hit or not, there isn't such a thing as 'moving hitboxes'.

Hitting people behind the corner is a side effect of antilag (not timenudge as you say), and it's perfectly normal.

When you add negative timenudge it feels laggy for *you* because the server snapshots you see are 'extrapolated' and not interpolated, so the client has to 'guess' where a player will move, instead of just interpolating between 2 positions sent by the server. But that has nothing to do with how other players see you, because what counts is just how smoothly you send commands to the server, adding any constant time shift in the past or future won't change anything. That's why only morons say things like 'all highpingers are warpers', and stuff like that, which you hear often especially from etpro players.

g_antilag is a server side cvar, so nobody can change it. on etpro, and later other mods (but not etmain) you can disable *your* antilag, and antilag has nothing to do with movement, it only changes the way *you* hit. So the fact that you can't see who disables it is not important, because it doesn't affect movement, and because only a stupid would disable it.

About the 'has been proven' I would ask, proven by whom? and how? Where can I see such proof?

Don't get me wrong but in just a single post you managed to write a dozen of inaccurate things, that's why I said that people should know what they say, but I didn't mean to offend anyone...

peace

SunLight

I wasnt offended that much dont worry. I will see if the forum is still up as it was a few years ago. They claimed g_antilag 0 and timenudge was proven as warpy. Thats why so many servers added timenudge to pb cvars. If I cant find it I apologise.

Edited by Barn!e

I add the bot commands to a cfg and execute it from the shrubbot custom command.

[command]

command = 6bots

desc = Set bot-count to 6 (3 vs 3)

exec = exec 6bots.cfg

levels = 999 777 666 400 300 200

6bots.cfg could look like this:

bot kickall

bot addbot 2 2 ^4F|A_bot01

bot addbot 2 3 ^4F|A_bot02

bot addbot 2 4 ^4F|A_bot03

bot addbot 1 2 ^4F|A_bot04

bot addbot 1 3 ^4F|A_bot05

bot addbot 1 4 ^4F|A_bot06

That way you can control classes too.

But of course you already knew that.

• Administrators

We had all this settings before.. people tend to use it for there pleasures and sometimes it used to crash server with kill all bot commands and such.

Anything which tens to crash server or has crashed before, is not going to be added.

Enhance mod still crashes on Windows 2003 and I have reported the issue to redsector like 3 months back. I am awaiting fix for it. Done restarting servers during peak time.

I know you have reasons for doing it your way.

I always ran maximum 6 bots. But sure, even then the server makes a medium lag-spike when you execute "bot kickall".

I never had any crashes with local servers though, kicking vast amounts of bots. That was with etpub.

I agree with the "crashy-smashy policy". I once ran a 2.55 server that would crash at random when ever someone had to download a file.

My solution at that time was to then disable downloads. Which made it more popular than ever. It made it to the top 150-ish & it was only 20 slots.

Today "No Download" is synonymous with "Download".

Did you ever consider making your own "enhancedmod"...?

What's the main benefits of "enhancedmod" today? Still etpubs custom commands?

:D

W33D5M0K3R5 about '07 (?)

Barnie connected.

Barnie: I got fired today.

Me: that sucks.

Me: Now is the time for opportunity and all that...

Barnie: yes

Me: BS...

Barnie: yes

:D

Yes that was a grey time lol..Same job since 2009 now so things improved..

I didnt know kickall was an issue but then I prefer Linux servers as they seem more stable. I emphasise "seem".

It is usually once the server gets to 8+ humans and the bots just block and get in the way which is frustrating. Admins have to do the !put bot s at each map start so I made this post as a suggestion. It was only that and at the end of the day the server MOD who spends endless hours as I did configuring and troubleshooting etc.. Is the guy with the responsibility and ultimately if it causes problems dont do it.. :)

I never understood the big deal with thompson + mp40.

It makes the shotgun inferior. There's no shotgun + smg || shotgun + shotgun.

It also farts in the general direction of the purpose of the Field Ops handing out ammo - nobody cares when they all start with atleast 2 x 90 bullets.

But the worst part is the auto-switching when you pick up an smg you're not currently using. It's lethal in a dogfight.