motherboards

If you were building a pc which brand of motherboard would you use?

Should you try to use a board from the same manufacturer of the processor?

No, do not use an Intel motherboard. I don't believe AMD has any of their own. For the new Intel Sandbridge processors, the Asus boards are the best in my opinion.

It really doesn't matter that much. I personally prefer Gigabyte, although Asus is slightly cheaper and comparable good. MSI is quite good, although I don't like them since some error they made about a decade years ago :P Asrock is low-budget, but a great value for its price. Intel is quite nice but you can't configure (overclock) it as you want; at least it used to be not to, but it is really stable.

Don't try to find a board from the same manufacturer in my opinion (Intel doesn't have that good mobo's, AMD don't even makes its own mobo's), but try to find the correct/good chipset for it. The P67/H67 (latter has onboard video) for Intel for example :)

It really doesn't matter that much. I personally prefer Gigabyte, although Asus is slightly cheaper and comparable good. MSI is quite good, although I don't like them since some error they made about a decade years ago :P Asrock is low-budget, but a great value for its price. Intel is quite nice but you can't configure (overclock) it as you want; at least it used to be not to, but it is really stable.

Don't try to find a board from the same manufacturer in my opinion (Intel doesn't have that good mobo's, AMD don't even makes its own mobo's), but try to find the correct/good chipset for it. The P67/H67 (latter has onboard video) for Intel for example :)

Asus Rampage > UD7 ;) Well that's preference, But I have read that the p67 gigabytes (UD5 and UD7) are still getting issues sorted out. They are both good. I would say the top 2 for p67 chipsets.

I don't spend 250EUR on a motherboard; for motherboards in the range 60E to 120E, they are comparable ;)

For over 250E, I would start to think of choosing a SuperMicro mobo :P

Well as I´ve learned with building choosing my 2 PCs that MOBO is most important with case (and powed supply) you can always switch out the graphics, memory, CPU for better on(in case your not buying right away the high-end CPU in which case next step would be next gen socket). So spending in mobo is good investment, and havent noticed any difference in manufacturers though I´ve mostly gone with Gygabite lately(dont know exactly their latest mobos). Mobo should have some kind of cooling also, would be great if it didnt go 60 C degrees on full load. So not same manufacuterer as CPU or grarphics but same SOCKET ;)

If you're planning on upgrading your CPU within 1 year, it is cheaper to buy the new CPU immediatly. If you are planning to upgrade your CPU after 2 years, buy a new motherboard with it.

At least, that's how I did it. My first mayor problem was the graphic card switch from AGP to PCIe, but that won't be a problem for the next few years since PCIe is backwards compatible. These days, the memory is more the problem with switching from DDR to DDR2 in 2004, from DDR2 to DDR3 in 2010 (approx.), from DDR3 to DDR4 to (est.) 2012. But with a new CPU architecture, you'll also a new motherboard and often new memory.

Unless you're waiting for budget, don't buy with only upgrade-ability in mind. You'll probably keep waiting forever since computers will become better every day. The only exception for that is memory expansion; it is quite cheap and many times very useful, so initially don't put all slots full (so rather 2x4GB instead of 4x2GB).

I picked up a Gigabyte mobo for my latest machine (GA-X58A-UD3R). Amazon has them on sale right now for $199. Seems to be working out great for me. I agree with what Apprentice said, always make sure to spend some time figuring out exactly what you are looking for in a mobo and also to make sure it is upgradable with future hardware (memory, graphics card, cpu, etc) if you plan on holding on to it for a while.

If you were building a pc which brand of motherboard would you use?

Should you try to use a board from the same manufacturer of the processor?

Are you just asking for the hell of it? Are you building or thinking of building a new PC? Most of the advice on here thus far seems pretty good IMO. About the only thing I'd add is to simply read a number of good and bad reviews for the ones you narrow down and see if any patterns emerge.

Are you just asking for the hell of it? Are you building or thinking of building a new PC? Most of the advice on here thus far seems pretty good IMO. About the only thing I'd add is to simply read a number of good and bad reviews for the ones you narrow down and see if any patterns emerge.

i was looking at the cost of building vs buying and as I was pricing components it was something I was not sure about. Thanks for all the feedback.

I always use Sapphire and Asus never had problems with them

except: sapphire mobo won't survive a drop of 2.5m :s (brother dropped my pc and mobo is broken)

=> amd build

i was looking at the cost of building vs buying and as I was pricing components it was something I was not sure about. Thanks for all the feedback.

GL man. I'll probably get flamed off the board for saying this, but typically it's cheaper and easier to just buy a decent computer rather than buying similar components and building yourself. You have 1 warrantyto deal with rather than 20, and unless it's an emachine it's typically going to have been tested prior to leaving the factory so you know an RMA is likely not going to happen.

That said, it's usually a hell of alot more fun to build yourself and take pride in something that you customized. It basically breaks down to are you the type of person that buys a car, drives it stock for 5-10 years perfectly happy and content. Or are you the type of person the buys a car, drives it off the lot, throws the old exhaust away in favor of some new catback pipes, upgraded intake, new suspension, wheels and stereo because the stock ride was boring.

Just my 2 cents, but that gulftown is a bit overkill if your still looking at that build.

GL man. I'll probably get flamed off the board for saying this, but typically it's cheaper and easier to just buy a decent computer rather than buying similar components and building yourself. You have 1 warrantyto deal with rather than 20, and unless it's an emachine it's typically going to have been tested prior to leaving the factory so you know an RMA is likely not going to happen.

That said, it's usually a hell of alot more fun to build yourself and take pride in something that you customized. It basically breaks down to are you the type of person that buys a car, drives it stock for 5-10 years perfectly happy and content. Or are you the type of person the buys a car, drives it off the lot, throws the old exhaust away in favor of some new catback pipes, upgraded intake, new suspension, wheels and stereo because the stock ride was boring.

Just my 2 cents, but that gulftown is a bit overkill if your still looking at that build.

Excellent answer..