just need some advice =)

i wanna start learn programming

which 'language' should i start with ?

i already did some basics of the language C (printf, scanf) and IF statement

which program to use?

currently im using 'CodeBlocks'

:thanks

Programming for computers I suppose?

I'm no use to you because I've only ever looked at Perl which is ancient, and i'm only into web programming >.< Any applications I need for my PC, I just build on a local intranet :)

What do you want to develop? What do you want to learn? Do you want it for professional use?

C is a nice programming language, but it will become eventually very hard (that is, the moment you start with pointers and memory allocation). It is a language that will never die and everything is possible. However, if you start a more relaxed programming language (C#, PHP) you will still try to solve everything the hard way. That's common for people who learned programming in C :P

C++, C# (.NET) and Java are object oriented, which gives you a great advantage. However, C++ is still hard with the pointers and memory management, C# and Java are easier with their garbage collection.

I don't suggest you start using functional programming languages (LISP for example). Neither too 'simple' programming languages like VB; if I develop in such language I feel like I'm hacking because not everything is possible. Although it will give you a nice set of working with if/then/while/for/functions etc.

However, those are mainly (but not exclusive) for stand-alone applications. For web development PHP is used a lot, however ASP (.NET) is also used, but more in larger projects. I know PHP, but most people don't learn to program nice in it, which would cause a hard step if you ever want to program in C/C++/C#/Java.

I suggest C/C++, but I suggest you know someone who can help you with pointers if you start screwing up. The switch from C++ to C# and Java are quite easy to make, from Java to C# and C# to Java also, only C++ is slightly harder. But not impossible :)

Let us know what you choose :)

there is a high chance im gona change my studies ...from economy & management to computer science

i just h8 loosing a year so i want at least be prepared for this new way im taking

faculty of computer science

this should be the university im gona choose

main language english, but u also need to know german and italian

on the page u can also see all courses i will have

what i understood the main language we are gona use in 'Introduction to Programming' and 'Programming Project' is JAVA

the 1st april the university has its 'open doors day'....im gona take a look around

what i intent to do for preparation: learn 10 finger writing (im no a slow writer, but i think this is a must), learn better english (im not so bad, but i want to improve), and something with programming (, which could come handy when i'll do it at university)

do u also know a good tutorial to learn computer languages?

i found some, but since im not an expert, i dunno if they are good

thanks for replies

I did a computer science course.. I left because they made me learn VisualBasic instead of any real language - which everyone will know is a pile of crap..

I learned Pascal in high school, and then C on college, so I'd say they are the best starting options and you can learn a lot of both of them and get a feel what programming really is, but since Pascal is sort of outdated, go for C. Once you know a language you'll learn others much easier, as the principles are the same and only syntax differs (more or less, there are other differences, but what can be done in one can be done in all). Java is a powerful language, if you have the option to learn it, take it.

what i intent to do for preparation: learn 10 finger writing (im no a slow writer, but i think this is a must),

It is not. It is recommended that you can type blindfolded, but with 10 fingers, even I can't do that.

learn better english (im not so bad, but i want to improve),

Start simple, type and use a spell checker. For the forum that will already work, you will definitely less errors. It's just using the language that will improve it. Learn from your mistakes. Luckily, you're on an international forum :P

Although I must state, your English is easy to understand, but you shouldn't use your current English in a written document.

and something with programming (, which could come handy when i'll do it at university)

It won't be handy, since they start from zero. If you learn something wrong, you'll have to unlearn it before learn it the right way.

do u also know a good tutorial to learn computer languages?

i found some, but since im not an expert, i dunno if they are good

Give yourself an exercise, and try it. The basic idea of if/else/for/while/functions is quite simple. But everyone can type that, the challenge is to use those simple things to solve problems, which you can achieve in every language.

So you'll have to extend & use those basics. For example, give the first 37 Fibonacci numbers. Create a linked list. Sort it (and there are many ways). You may want to use some system libraries (time()), print and play with this. Try working with hashes and trees. Build a brainf*** interpreter (it's a programming language based on the 8 characters ".,[]<>=-"). Get some interesting file operations. If you're working with C or C++, play with the boolean operators &, | and ^ to achieve your goals.

You don't learn programming from a book, you just have to do it. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. In VB it is @#$@#, but with a decent programming language like Java/C#/C/C++, you can achieve a lot of things.

Edited by Rolf

That seems to be a nice tutorial.

For compiling, I actually use GCC. But that's (mainly) for Linux. I have developed with Borland C++ Builder 6.0, but that is way too old. Visual Studio (Express Edition is free for non-commercial usage) should be working, but I never have been able to create a nice project in it.

• Clan Friend

Well, I have programmed only as a hobby, so maybe some other people could give/have given you better info, I've used up to now these languages, some for many years, some only a few times:

C/C++, assembly, C#, python, perl, lua, basic, pascal, unrealscript (:D) and maybe some others I don't remember, I would say learning C is a good start, once you know it you can learn C++ with ease. So I would recommend that you start with C.

Java is a good option as well.

code::blocks is an IDE, not a compiler, anyway for a beginner anything will be ok, you just need to learn the basics of programming, once you start to 'think' that way, any language will be easy.

About the tutorial, if you have never coded before, you'd better start with a tutorial written for non-programmers, in any case you should probably avoid any tutorial which is too technical, or even worse 'academic'. Otherwise it's like learning a (human) language at school, and studying all that boring grammar stuff, just to realize that you have learned less than someone who just started reading some sentences...

You have to experiment a lot, that is 'learning by doing', and then maybe switch to the formal stuff.

• Clan Friend

I like it when I have to think about clever ways to solve a problem (maybe away from the pc, but not necessarily)

I hate it when I already know how to do something, yet I have to write 10000 lines of code to implement it :P

how u guys enjoyed programming so far? what u like / dont like ???

There are no stupid questions, but... :P

Sometimes it is fun. Sometimes it is not. Most of the time it is just a waste of time, and hopefully somehow fun.

Yesterday, I programmed until 0300 (from ~2000, and had to wake up at 0700), and still didn't got it working. More precisely, I discovered a major bug (memory error, you can't get many worse errors) and it took me today 3 hours to fix that. Then, it is not fun. And it still doesn't do what I require it to do...

It is fun however, if, after a long time, you have really solved an interesting problem. Like what I'm currently stuck with, yet it isn't fun for me yet :P

The first Hello World is fun, your first recursion is awesome, the moment you make a useful application is great. But don't expect it to happen within a few days. But many times you're just, programming. Not excited, but it is not that often boring. Maybe after those 10000 lines doing the same stuff.

I like it when I have to think about clever ways to solve a problem (maybe away from the pc, but not necessarily)

I hate it when I already know how to do something, yet I have to write 10000 lines of code to implement it :P

Then you make it exciting or you get paid for it :P

10000 lines of code for a hobby project is really a lot.

• 1 month later...

how u guys enjoyed programming so far? what u like / dont like ???

i hate it. I am taking/took a java course this semester in college and it was the first time dealing with programming. I only hate it because i am horrible at it. The class was fast paced it seemed and i was lost half way through.

i changed my major from biology or something like that to computer information systems and I just struggled so much with the java class it almost makes me want to change again :P

If you are teaching yourself you can take things slower and aren't rushed through topics so you will understand things a little bit better. I could not imagine teaching myself programming because it does not interest me that much.

Sorry to be a downer to the topic but if it interest you, you may have more success than me :)