Amazon sued by Apple!

Chuckun

Amazon sued by Apple!

Apple take legal action against Amazon for its "AppStore"

Amazon recently revealed its own new version of the Android Marketplace, and chose to label it the "AppStore". A not-so-clever idea on Amazon's part.

In turn, and without shock, Apple has sued Android for trademark violation.

The lawsuit was filed last week, but has emerged at roughly the same time as Amazon's official unveiling of their Android Appstore. It will operate under similar constraints, controls and profit sharing with developers as Apple's version, in the hopes that it will be distinguished from other Android app markets by being "safer" and containing higher quality apps, since so many virus' have crept into the Android world lately.

However, the chosen name (the Amazon Appstore) is what has caused uproar at Apple. Apple have trademark protection over the phrase "App Store" after the release of the iPhone 3G, making what an independent observer may deem a sensible business move -- especially since the App Store is now earning Apple a slight profit, and its archive of apps for iPhone and iPad (and now the Mac too) is an incredibly potent advertising lever.

Apple is now suing Amazon and aims to stop them using the phrase "Appstore" in any way, shape, or form. Apple are also seeking to claim fees for damages, since the new store could 'confuse' customers. (Although I'm pretty sure anyone who knows how to use an app store, is well aware of who Amazon and Apple are, and could easily distinguish between the two).

The App Store however, is the beating heart of all Apple media. With it being the center of the app world for iPod, iPad, iTouch, iPhone, and now even Mac machines, Apple feel very strongly about anybody encroaching on their trademarked title.

There are sneaking suspicions that Apple have an ulterior motive here though. Some suspect that Apple is actually mostly annoyed that Amazon is trying to leverage off Apple's own successful brand to push sales of a rival smartphone and tablet PC platform -- Android. But why not? App Store should not be a registered trade mark. It's what anybody would call a store for downloading apps. Without using that phrase what can you call it? Application Store? ..Leaves much to be desired doesn't it?

However, Amazon's e-book app exists within the Apple App Store, and is prominent in the iPad world.. So will this disagreement affect the existing affiliation between Apple and Amazon?

I for one believe that anybody should be allowed to use the common abbreviation 'app', thus also use 'app store' for their store.

Source: =F|A=Chuckun @ fearless-assassins.com

I disagree with you. Call the store w/e you want, but you can't take the name that another person/company has already come up with. Thats how it always is.

Plus it could confuse customers, cause there are a lot of stupid ppl in the world who've been confused by lesser things. :P

Since when App and Store word are copyright of Apple? Would be fun to see who wins..

That's exactly my point mate.. It's two totally standard, necessary words for naming the store.. And Apple actually have trademark protection over the two words put together.. So if you set up a store for applications of ANY kind, and you abbreviate and say 'go to our app store' - then they can sue you. Absolutely pathetic.

I'll certainly be keeping tabs on what happens.

If they have copyright, then tough job for Amazon.. How much they sued for?

Unknown as of yet - they've claimed and filed for damages.. I'll post updates as I find out :)