Need some pplz helps

Butterz

Okay everyone, I need your help.

My dad just upgraded his desktop computer with Core i7 stuff, new motherboard, Bluray writer, etc. etc., and he gave me his old motherboard with the CPU. I need your help in recommending some decent cheap stuff which I can buy to make a basic computer which I can play todays games at a reasonable level. I need a case (ATX sized), GPU, and possibly some other stuff you think maybe necessary. Oh, and I can't spend too much, so price has to be reasonable.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Forgot to add, the CPU is old, it was one of the original Core Duo CPU's from Intel, running at 3.4 Ghz dual core.

• Platinum VIP

Since you aren't going to be buying brand new stuff, you should be able to build a pretty nice computer. Prices for compatible hardware components for an older CPU and motherboard should be pretty cheap. I'd try www.NewEgg.com first. You should be able to find everything you need there at a good price. If you post the exact motherboard and CPU specs, it'd be easier to give you more specific help.

Since you aren't going to be buying brand new stuff, you should be able to build a pretty nice computer. Prices for compatible hardware components for an older CPU and motherboard should be pretty cheap. I'd try www.NewEgg.com first. You should be able to find everything you need there at a good price. If you post the exact motherboard and CPU specs, it'd be easier to give you more specific help.

Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally; we only deliver to locations within the United States and to Puerto Rico.

Could become a little expensive to forward it to Australia. :lol:

• Platinum VIP

Could become a little expensive to forward it to Australia. :lol:

Haha I apologize for that, didn't notice you weren't from the States!

I guess if you´ll get nvidias 9600 GT youll ahve same PC as me;) but downside of geforce 9600GT is that its passive cooling and 1 already burnt down(500mb version), 1GB version is holding on so far ;)

Cases are entirely a matter of personal taste. If you like flashy, get one with lights, windows, and fans. If you want functionality, get one with at least 3 fans. It doesn't have to be a full tower case, you can get a mid tower instead to save some cash.

For GPUs, do what I do. Don't get the latest models. Most video cards in the 75 to 150 USD range work exceptionally well and are rather cost effective. Yes, you won't be able to play the latest games at the highest resolution with the highest graphic settings, but who cares. As long as you can play the game, you'll be fine. And, since your motherboard supports it, get two of the exact same card so you can use SLI or Crossfire depending on the branding of cards you get (ATi or nVidia).

For RAM, get anything you like that matches your motherboard type, in this case 1066 to 800 DDR2 RAM. How much you get depends on your operating system. If you're going with Windows XP, get 3 GB. If you're going with any 64-bit operating system, get as much as you can afford, but at least 4 GB.

You'll obviously need a CD/DVD drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM would be low end, CD/DVD-/+RW would be mind range, and Blu-Ray RW would be high end.

You'll probably want a hard drive or two in case you don't plan on using existing hardware, in which you'll want at least a 7,200 RPM hard drive with a SATA 3.0Gbps interface. As for size, 320GB to start out with if you don't plan on doing much, if you can find any sales, you might find a 1TB or 1.5TB for the same price as a 500GB.

This should get you pointed in the right direction. If you want specific "You should get this" just say so.

Cases are entirely a matter of personal taste. If you like flashy, get one with lights, windows, and fans. If you want functionality, get one with at least 3 fans. It doesn't have to be a full tower case, you can get a mid tower instead to save some cash.

For GPUs, do what I do. Don't get the latest models. Most video cards in the 75 to 150 USD range work exceptionally well and are rather cost effective. Yes, you won't be able to play the latest games at the highest resolution with the highest graphic settings, but who cares. As long as you can play the game, you'll be fine. And, since your motherboard supports it, get two of the exact same card so you can use SLI or Crossfire depending on the branding of cards you get (ATi or nVidia).

For RAM, get anything you like that matches your motherboard type, in this case 1066 to 800 DDR2 RAM. How much you get depends on your operating system. If you're going with Windows XP, get 3 GB. If you're going with any 64-bit operating system, get as much as you can afford, but at least 4 GB.

You'll obviously need a CD/DVD drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM would be low end, CD/DVD-/+RW would be mind range, and Blu-Ray RW would be high end.

You'll probably want a hard drive or two in case you don't plan on using existing hardware, in which you'll want at least a 7,200 RPM hard drive with a SATA 3.0Gbps interface. As for size, 320GB to start out with if you don't plan on doing much, if you can find any sales, you might find a 1TB or 1.5TB for the same price as a 500GB.

This should get you pointed in the right direction. If you want specific "You should get this" just say so.

I would appreciate some "You should get this" advice, because I am a nub at computers. RAM isn't a problem, I already have that.

I'll link to Newegg for ease. You should look at local retailers for similar items. For parts like video cards and drives, just match brands. For cases... still, find one you like and go from there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811226005 - Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156198 - Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041 - Power supply. 750w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871 - 2x Video card. Get two for performance, one to save money. ATi card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134123 - 2x Video card. Get two for performance, one to save money. nVidia card.

Any CD/DVD drive with a SATA connection will work just fine, just pick one that either comes with extra face plates or matches the color of the case you get. For hard drives, find the storage size you want with the SATA connection, Seagate or Western Digital are usually the most common ones you'll find in retailers. You will want a 64bit operating system, so the market only offers Windows 7 in a couple of flavors. Home Premium works just fine and costs a bit less than everything else. If you want wireless networking with your PC, find a PCI-Express 1x Wireless N card at the retailers in your area; if you can't find one there, look at online retailers that ship to your area, otherwise just stick with your onboard wired connection.

for the price, Radeon 4670 does reasonablely well.

+1

thats what i have. it actually blew me away. had no idea that little card would pack such a punch. plays all COD games maxed out (AA and all)

for the price, Radeon 4670 does reasonablely well.

I'll link to Newegg for ease. You should look at local retailers for similar items. For parts like video cards and drives, just match brands. For cases... still, find one you like and go from there.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811226005 - Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156198 - Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341041 - Power supply. 750w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102871 - 2x Video card. Get two for performance, one to save money. ATi card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134123 - 2x Video card. Get two for performance, one to save money. nVidia card.

Any CD/DVD drive with a SATA connection will work just fine, just pick one that either comes with extra face plates or matches the color of the case you get. For hard drives, find the storage size you want with the SATA connection, Seagate or Western Digital are usually the most common ones you'll find in retailers. You will want a 64bit operating system, so the market only offers Windows 7 in a couple of flavors. Home Premium works just fine and costs a bit less than everything else. If you want wireless networking with your PC, find a PCI-Express 1x Wireless N card at the retailers in your area; if you can't find one there, look at online retailers that ship to your area, otherwise just stick with your onboard wired connection.

+1

thats what i have. it actually blew me away. had no idea that little card would pack such a punch. plays all COD games maxed out (AA and all)

Thanks so much for everybody's help. I'll just need to choose lol

Do what skye said. He knows what he is talking about. GPU price range of 70-150 US is ideal. Heck you can pick up a GTS 450 for under $100 and HD 5770 for just a bit over $100 nowadays. A gaming comp isn't an expensive investment anymore (if you even look carefully on craigslist you can get some powerful last last gen cards for like $60. Heck i traded 2 crummy xbox 360 games for a 9800 GTX. I even saw a GTX 280 sell for $80)

Also @ Desu I agree the HD 4670 was a good card but nowadays you might as well pay $35 more and get a card that is 20x more powerful

Do what skye said. He knows what he is talking about. GPU price range of 70-150 US is ideal. Heck you can pick up a GTS 450 for under $100 and HD 5770 for just a bit over $100 nowadays. A gaming comp isn't an expensive investment anymore (if you even look carefully on craigslist you can get some powerful last last gen cards for like $60. Heck i traded 2 crummy xbox 360 games for a 9800 GTX. I even saw a GTX 280 sell for $80)

Also @ Desu I agree the HD 4670 was a good card but nowadays you might as well pay $35 more and get a card that is 20x more powerful

Dood, I live in Australia, the land of "WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PRICES". Hell, shipping something from Sydney costs almost the same as shipping from the US