et aim, more reflexes or more coordination?

SunLight

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Screenshot or it didn't happen lol

Well, my best is 1ms lol. (Guessed it, like 2 years ago).

But ye, ET is more about tracking, ofc good reflexes are for good, its good to get first shot and when enemy changes direction, u can track it nicely. Requires some hand-eye coordination too.

Well, my best is 1ms lol. (Guessed it, like 2 years ago).

But ye, ET is more about tracking, ofc good reflexes are for good, its good to get first shot and when enemy changes direction, u can track it nicely. Requires some hand-eye coordination too.

Its so much more than just hand-eye co-ordination, when compared to other games, its using both hands simulataneously, but being able to isolate different fingers to do different things. When I play, my Sprint is bound to "c", jump to "Space", and crouch to "Shift", and my fingers have to do so much work, but its good. And also knowledge in ET is good as well, compared to other games like CoD, where the only knowledge you will need is what spot seems to be a nice camping area

• 2 weeks later...

ET is about tracking and positioning/gamesense. When the you watch the big "pro" players (I'm thinking of mAus specifically, at the moment), they have great aim, yes, but they also position themselves really well. Taking out five people at once when they can all shoot you is pretty much impossible—unless they really suck—you need need to approach things so you only have to deal with one or two at any given moment.

Well im a veteran of the game so I have to say that you cant really say which one is more important. Those things really relate to other small details such as where you are at the moment in the map and the player that is shooting at you. There have been many times where the other person shot at me first but I still killed them due to headshots and there have been sometimes where i killed the other player due to movemennt. So my final answer is that you need more of both, because if you lack one you have less chance to kill the other person. :rolleyes:

ET is about tracking and positioning/gamesense. When the you watch the big "pro" players (I'm thinking of mAus specifically, at the moment), they have great aim, yes, but they also position themselves really well. Taking out five people at once when they can all shoot you is pretty much impossible—unless they really suck—you need need to approach things so you only have to deal with one or two at any given moment.

Well, competitive world is totally another story, I would summarize it to one word: Spawntimes. Understand them and you are able to do very well. Good aim+movement will increase your skill, but the foundation of skill are spawntimes and understanding how to read them and how the game is played as "waves".

Pub world is pretty much all about individual skills and living "on the moment".

• Clan Friend

Well, competitive world is totally another story, I would summarize it to one word: Spawntimes. Understand them and you are able to do very well. Good aim+movement will increase your skill, but the foundation of skill are spawntimes and understanding how to read them and how the game is played as "waves".

Pub world is pretty much all about individual skills and living "on the moment".

I know, but I think that without aim and 1on1 skills you can't get past low+ skill just with tactics.

I think that everyone can learn tactics, but not everybody can aim like a high+ player, maybe I am wrong but et is not chess, it's an action game with some basic tactics so the biggest limit preventing players from playing at a higher level is technique imho.

Never heard a player saying 'I am low because I am not smart enough', but I get your point, tactics and teamplay are an important thing to, that's why some 'pub owners' wouldn't win against a low team if they don't have enough experience

Aim plays a big part in scrims, anyone can learn how to aim like a med player if they really tried, but only a few have brains, its useless to have your most strongest aimer going full cause he/she forgets to /kill due to killing the enemy (thinking they can take out 2vs1 etc)

Never heard a player saying 'I am low because I am not smart enough', but I get your point, tactics and teamplay are an important thing to, that's why some 'pub owners' wouldn't win against a low team if they don't have enough experience

Well, they don't say it because they don't recognize it ;) I'm not talking about tax and teamplay, but as individual "reading the spawntimes" -skill. I just can't stress enought about it, because it really is THE foundation of competitive ET gaming.

Usually people learn to play competitive ET by just playing on pub etpro servers + maybe playing with some friends. Lets take a jaymod player as an example:

Person X discovers the world of etpro. He plays on pubs + he gets 2 jaymod friends to play 3on3's with him. When they get first low war from IRC, they are propably gonna lose it badly. Why? Zero understanding of spawntimes and how to use them. Maybe they can compete vs them in aiming, but watching spawntimes is really hard at first + not even mentioning that they can't understand what different spawntimes means(e.g. when to push, when to hide second or two, when to do and what...). Usually they have 1 full pretty much always, and it gets really frustrating. When they play scrims, their aiming will improve little by little, they get used to have basic tax(teamplay might be still hard, like when to push together from different positions or just plain rush if enemy is weak/not ready etc).

Blah, I'll just copy&paste my post from somewhere of the internez:

Random comment:

It took me a couple months to actually show improvement and game sense in scrims, and I was scrimming often each day.

My answer:

Yes, maybe because there was no-one to show how it really should be done or even showing/teaching effectively the basics + maybe more. Same was with me when I started competitive gaming. For example, it took me couple of weeks to understand that I need to watch enemy spawntime from roundtimer and NOT from my own spawntime. Very basic thing, but I didn't knew it, so I just kept struggling those weeks. :P

But basically there is couple of things to do when learning competitive:

1. Knowing where are the enemies (brains(spawntime), comms...)

2. Learning to follow spawntimes (your own & enemys) and understand how to read the game via spawntimes (when to push, when to hide, what enemies are gonna do and when, preparing for that etc)

3. Aiming/teamwork/strafing/general tactics

So its very, very much about learning to understand how the game is played as "waves"(spawncycles). Because if you don't understand, you will be at wrong places at wrong times-->u will die, maybe even get fullspawn or you will be at least pretty useless. Also keeping in mind how many enemies are dead-->how many of them are gonna spawn(comms help + follow "you killed x" -section) is very usefull and everyone should learn it as early as possible. Aiming will improve along other abilities for sure as u play many scrims etc, but if you are not gonna focus to understand the nature of scrims("waves"), you will never improve.

Also one thing that is hard for new scrimmers is staying calm, I mean not to panic/do those random/stupid things. But again, its pretty much it when person doesn't understand the nature of scrimming yet :P Learning&understanding it will really move you next level of scrimming.

Edited by BossHK

avg: 209.8

To be honest, I think this type of test is nonsense for measuring reaction time. Especially in this instance, you're consciously waiting for the green light to flash. If you do this enough, sure you might get that green light in under 150 ms, but that won't help your reaction time in any other context, especially in gaming.