planning on uprading my pc

metal_scum

1 month ago i got this pc...

CPU Inter core I7-920

Case Thermaltake Spedo

Chieftec 750 Watt

Asus P6T

2gb Kit Cellshock 1600 7-7-7-14 x2 (4 giga ram)

Asus GTX 285

1TB Seagate

Samsung Syncmaster T220 22"

NZXT Avatar Black 2600 DPI

Logitech G11 Gaming

(Of course some parts aren't mentioned)

The air cooling system is the standard given by The case.

I've got some money to spare to upgrade this pc. Whats should I upgrade? Think it needs a second Monitor. And prolly I'll get a water cooling system installed. What do you think?

• Administrators

I never liked the liquid cooling because sometimes it leak and blow other things.. i prefer air cooling. But you can get good air coolers if you are not much into OC.

Get better ram. I'd go with ddr3 that is made for the i7. It will be a 6gb kit with 1.65 max voltage.

This for 1600:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Or this if you really want to spend $$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145240

I have this ram and it can run at 1920mhz CAS7, But I want to run my i7 faster so its running at 2000mhz CAS8 with my processor running at 4.2ghz on water cooling.

Or their 2000mhz cas7 kit if you want to spend all your money ;)

The OCZ blade series is supposed to be nice as well.

I would also suggest the WD Caviar Black series for your harddrive(s) because they are the best other than SSD'S and velociraptors.

All the other stuff looks good. Very nice setup :D

For a GOOD watercooling setup expect to spend at least $200 USD. For a good air setup it will cost half of that.

I can help your choose your watercooling parts if you would like.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're going to get a second monitor, you might want to double up on the video cards and have each one power its own screen. This would probably require a PSU upgrade, to about a minimum of 1k watts.

Water cooling is safe if you know how to do it, but that does involve a lot of research and a bit of testing before installing the system. If you're not going to overclock, you might not find the investment worth it. Both air and water systems can only cool your computer to room temps, though, so if your room is baking at 110 degrees F, your machine is going to suffer unless you put phase-change cooling on it (or put in an air conditioner). An efficient are system in a good case (good case being defined as one that has well-placed fans and good cable management) should be good enough for almost any setup unless you start to overclock.

If you're going to get a second monitor, you might want to double up on the video cards and have each one power its own screen. This would probably require a PSU upgrade, to about a minimum of 1k watts.

Water cooling is safe if you know how to do it, but that does involve a lot of research and a bit of testing before installing the system. If you're not going to overclock, you might not find the investment worth it. Both air and water systems can only cool your computer to room temps, though, so if your room is baking at 110 degrees F, your machine is going to suffer unless you put phase-change cooling on it (or put in an air conditioner). An efficient are system in a good case (good case being defined as one that has well-placed fans and good cable management) should be good enough for almost any setup unless you start to overclock.

An air conditioner IS phase.

1,000W is way more than you'll need for a single processor with 2 way SLI or crossfire. That PSU will do fine for that.

Depending on your cash situation, I'd buy a couple more identical hard drives so you can run RAID. Another good upgrade would be another GTX 285 for SLI. A Tuniq Tower should also be in your list with any upgrade you're considering.

An air conditioner IS phase.

1,000W is way more than you'll need for a single processor with 2 way SLI or crossfire. That PSU will do fine for that.

Depending on your cash situation, I'd buy a couple more identical hard drives so you can run RAID. Another good upgrade would be another GTX 285 for SLI. A Tuniq Tower should also be in your list with any upgrade you're considering.

I 2nd what Number1Dad said. As for what Tulsa said..I didn't see what OS you were running, but if it's 32bit then obviously the 6 gig's won't do anything for you but with Win 7 on the horizon, it probably wouldn't hurt to plan for the future. Also unless you plan to overclock, you can get by with much cheaper 6 gig kits according to this review, not to mention air cooling is more of an option at a cheaper price. Phase change cooling is awesome, with an awesome price to go with it. a good air conditioner would be a better investment IMO. :D

• Administrators

If doing liquid cooling always remember to get non conductive and non corrosive coolant, you pump will fail eventually, I have seen it happen on a lot of pcs and ppl that took my advice well they still have their pc and did not have to replace their parts well except the pump.

AIR COOL!!! lol, in the store i work at not one person will recommend water cooling, and not i dont work at best buy. Anyways its been done, but water cooling is not worth the money, if you want to spend the money it doesnt hurt except its a pain(tequila works instead of water lol) just get an awesome heat sink like the Prolimatech Megahalems one, its not that much just get a decent fan for it as it doesnt come with one.

• 3 months later...

Buy a bigger monitor. Definitely the best thing you could do. My 28" was a large step up from a 22". A 30" with the increased resolution would be absolutely sex on the eyes.

Also get yourself a nice CPU cooler. CM's v8 and TRUE are good.

Go here for info. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Running the processor at 3.6+ up from 2.66ghz will give you a sizable performance gain.