CPU over heating.

I will try to take pics again from each angle, while pc on and while  PC off. 

that is a liquid cooler and its mounted not so good. i agree with elements post.  it cannot perform like its supposed to  mounted like that. air can get trapped in the lines like that. 

• Like 1

• Leader

Now I am wondering if a problem might be "dried out CPU paste" or some similar issue.

@tipsy never said where he got the computer.  I had assumed that it was a new unit, but perhaps it is a used unit?  

If an amateur had built it, the silicon paste between the pump and the CPU might be the problem.  That has happened with professionally assembled units, too. :(  (according to "The Internet".)

If the water-cooling is as detected by other here and if the fans are behind the front panel, then he can hold his hand at outside front of the case and see if the fans are sucking air in.

• Like 1

Most parts I got from fellow clan member. The motherboard is new though.  Yea, an amateur assembled it for me, and ran ok for a few months, and maybe yea the paste could have dried up and I need to add an additional fan. I'm looking for an off so I can get this fixed. 

• Like 3

• Leader
Posted (edited)

Silicon CPU or GPU chip paste-to-cooler should not "dry up" in a few months.  :hmm 

I still think you should try to trace the power cable from the cpu-cooler to the motherboard and see if it is still attached properly.  You can also put your finger on the cooler while the computer is running to see if you can feel any pump vibrations.  :hmm I think that I could feel mine vibrating back then.  I will have to take my case cover off and finger it while the power is connected and when it is disconnected.  My results would not prove that that is your problem, though.  You might have a more modern and "smoother" pump.

On the Other Hand, it does not get up to 48C/118F inside my house (unless the HVAC breaks some day).  My room might get up to 26C/78F...ACK!  I will have to move a bluetooth temperature sensor into here to actually measure it.  My computer does heat up this room and this room gets the most sun in the afternoon, sooo :?: 

Edited by RedBaird
On the other hnd
  • Like 1

• Leader

I just remembered that I have a SpeedFan v.4.51 program (it is up to 4.51 now).

Does anybody else know a simpler-than-that program that will display fan speeds and module temperatures for him?

I have my water-cooling pump plugged into the CPU fan header, so the pump speeds show up as cpu-fan speed. :hmm 

That might be a problem:  such programs don't know if they are connected to a spinning pump or to a spinning fan.

10 hours ago, RedBaird said:

display fan speeds and module temperatures for him?

I would suggest checking HWiNFO, https://www.hwinfo.com/

It goes a lot into details and is quite accurate (unlike speccy 😄 )

• Like 1

• Platinum VIP

I use CPUID as well.   I would definitely check the bios settings for fan control as I posted earlier.  Most mobos do not come configured for a water pump out of the box.  Out of the box mine was configured for a fan and was set to silent or eco mode to run quietly at the cost of performance.  Switching it to run as a water pump with max RPM made a big difference.

• Like 3