Electric car, should i pull the trigger?

Plague ET

Hey guys! I was never a fan of electric cars,  still am not i think, but with rebates and Gov incentives its  pricing is far more  affordable then a gas engine. Down sides:  1)Limited range before you have to charge overnight ( what if  I want to go for a long drive?)   2) no engine noise.... I drive a v8 now and i love the roar of the engine, something about driving an oversized golf cart doesn't sit right with me lol.

What are your thoughs? this I70 can be leased for 1600 a month vs its Gas version which is over 2300!!!!  crazy, should i pull the trigger?

i70.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 1

I have a truck so i cant say much xD however, yes you should! 

Many places are getting charging stations put in constantly - there are also different charging levels which can reach from 0 to 70% charge in like a half hour... there are lower levels which ppl throw in their garages and stuff which take hrs

My family has a ioniq 5 - has the fastey pickup speed ive ever seen - feels like a roller coaster if ya floor it on a straight flat stretch! (Note, i support safe driving practices ). Lastly, tax breaks can help come tax season. Also if you drop a bit up front on a solar panel - can get free charging and recoup those upfront costs

• 100 1

Yeah , overall life time of the battery is 150.000 to 200.000 KM driven. So replaciing/changing the battery know's to cost up to 20,000 dollars. So first you buy it for apopro 25.000 to 50.000dollar/euro , looking how much you can cover the range , where to recharge it , pay there pay here... So no for me , good old 1.9TDI or 2.0...atleast for my budget😅

• Surprise 1
  • 100 2

• Platinum VIP

I know someone who had to replace his battery on his tesla (first one I hear so far). Cost around 20-25k CAD, but the battery lasted for 400 000km. 

It really depends on your need and maybe the climate of where you live ( here battery power go down to 50% when its cold).

Most countries now have invested a lot in chargers so it shouldnt be an issue, not in north america tho. 

ANd we have to say, the future is this really..

in our country in winter the temperature drops to -20С, sometimes -25-30C, which is why these batteries generally don’t last long, and the power of a new battery drops by 60%, plus the use of heating the car, this all affects the life of the car

A couple of my friends have a Nissan Leaf and a Tesla, so in the winter we all drove to work in my old E39 because it runs on gasoline 😄 

so it’s hard to say, but that they are cheaper to repair, that’s definitely not the case. The savings at the electric station are big, but spare parts are more expensive and replacing batteries is several times more expensive than rebuilding an internal combustion engine

Edited by Dimo4ka
  • 100 1

• Leader
10 hours ago, Plague ET said:

this I70 can be leased for 1600 a month vs its Gas version which is over 2300!!!! 

Do you live in the USA?  

And reading what's going on now in europe after big boom with electric cars i will still say No! Now many companies in europe that deliver the electricity, start reducing the power on charging station and insurence companies started refusing insuring the electric cars.

• Like 1

Toyota and bmw has announced that they stop making EV-cars, that's a red flag for me. If you can, wait couple years and hydrogen cars will replace electric ones 😄

• Like 2
  • 100 4

3 hours ago, Tukkonen said:

Toyota and bmw has announced that they stop making EV-cars, that's a red flag for me. If you can, wait couple years and hydrogen cars will replace electric ones 😄

same with audi, mercedes and volkswagen 😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pajk0 said:

same with audi, mercedes and volkswagen 😉

Oh, they have announced that too 👀 i've missed it. If it's audi and vw, i think it's the rest of VAG brands too, like skoda, seat etc 🤔

• 100 1