Graphics Cards while playing ET

HaLLoWeeN

• Platinum VIP

Hi ET players... Just curious question. 

I am no PC Tech freak by any means but i try to learn new things along the way.

My question: Does anyone use NVDIA RTX graphics cards? Does the RTX (Ray Tracing) feature alter the way ET displays?

That's all i wanted to ask.

Hope it's not a corny question... but like i said.. im still learning about this PC tech world.

Thank you.

seeings this came out in 2018 ..  an et   2003 ..  i  would bet et .doesnt use it. at all.an most just turn it off . ill check it out for yea on my sons pc he has it i dont.ima guess it would mess with fps.

• Like 3

If you are interested in this, you can ask around on this site https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein-enemy-territory But I’m not sure that this is implemented in ET In my opinion, even in the global Real RTCW 4.0 mod, RTX support was not added.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

ET for sure and Legacy afaik doesn't support RT.
Simply said, having a RTX card doesn't affect your performance with ET when it comes to RT itself.
It'll work the same way as any other GTX- or graphic card.

RT is mainly used in newer games (since it was published in Sep. 2018) as mentioned before, to enhance the realism of light traces and shadows.
It's mainly just an graphic setting that the game itself needs to support for it to have an effect.
Also it's very GPU heavy setting so lower tier early RTX cards (for example 3050 & 2060's) might still struggle to run games with it unless using DLSS or lower resolutions and graphic settings.

It's probably possible to mod into ETL down the line but I suppose it's more likely to get a full remaster of the game before seeing RT in ET.

• Like 1
  • 100 2

11 hours ago, HaLLoWeeN said:

My question: Does anyone use NVDIA RTX graphics cards? Does the RTX (Ray Tracing) feature alter the way ET displays?

Hope it's not a corny question... but like i said.. im still learning about this PC tech world.

Thank you.

Pretty valid question so ask away.

Short answer is No, makes no difference at all to your ET.

Mods do exist out there that enable RT for older games (serious sam 2001) but ET wise?? One posted above by @Dimo4ka says in its notes "Extremerely buggy and hard to use"

My take? i'm still on basic, basic, basic gfx settings in ET from 2003, i don't even have the HD pack installed ffs.  😄

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 2

I have an RTX card, but like Snuffs and others have said, I've kept it minimal as introducing too much graphic noise seems to slow game play substantial, or maybe that's just me?

The only difference between those cards is that RTX cards support real-time ray tracing and GTX cards don't.

found this was curious too

• Like 2
  • 100 3

Ray tracing makes shadows and lighting more realistic by simulating actual light rays - using an algorithm to trace the path that a beam of light would take in the physical world. (Borrowed the description from wikipedia B) )

image.png.243f267a2fbd9117e09cf489a1d61f6f.png

• Like 3
  • 100 2

• Platinum VIP

ok guys..... thanks for feedback.

that said...

in ET terms, is RTX still safe to run et? or is it just a matter of turning ray tracing on/off?

The number one question here on any competitive gamer's mind is probably: does ray tracing lowers FPS? In general, yes, activating ray tracing is going to impact performance and will cause a drop in frames. Using the right hardware and having proper GPUs are useful for counteracting this performance loss.

this question interested me i did a little looking into it.  cant find any  great answers just alot of discussion.

does it work in et.   from what i gathered .. from web. chat. kinda but not really. et isnt on any list i could find that suport rtx.  first game to come out that supported rtx is battlefield.

from my perspective . an i am a old schooler . not a tech guy.  et hasnt the texture models to suport rtx  correctly.  an anyone who has it that  really plays et  like us old schoolers is just going to turn it off  in there  card settings. becuz we love stable fps. 

9 hours ago, HaLLoWeeN said:

ok guys..... thanks for feedback.

that said...

in ET terms, is RTX still safe to run et? or is it just a matter of turning ray tracing on/off?

:hmm

ET does not support RTX so it wont be active, 3rd party apps to force RTX in ET are pointless and simply in hobby stages from what i've read.............

For arguments sake if ET did officially support RTX then yes it would be safe to use but would impact fps considerably. 

• 100 1

Nvidia released a tool called RTX Remix in January which makes it a lot easier to mod raytracing into older games.

Since then the number of raytracing mods for older games has substantially increased. Here, for example, is Max Payne:

Whether someone will mod raytracing into ET, I have some doubts as many people do not care much for eye candy in competitive multiplayer games and often opt for low settings for better visual clarity and higher and more stable framerates. Raytracing, and even more so pathtracing, drastically reduce performance. But for Return to Castle Wolfenstein I would certainly expect an RT mod to come out at some point.

• Like 2
  • 100 1

I have an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2050 4gb , (basically a laptop version of a 2060 i think) and I've seen these posts about RTX and RTCW and have tried finding a download link somewhere for WolfPT; their Path Tracing project. With no luck, other than the developer stating a release in late 2023 and then no contact since. This is what the lighting looks like with it off/on. Just about every program i've ran with ray tracing on (Fortnite, Doom Eternal, Battlefield V, and Baldur's Gate 3) doesnt stutter as bad as youd think it would for a gaming laptop. Answering your question, I never modified any of my settings in nvidia to run ET and pull a very steady 125 fps. 

FU6VE4VXoAMNs9V.jpg

FU6VEOFXsAE8yLF.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1