Low FPS on new PC

insanemeister
Go to solution Solved by razjee,

Hey,

I've just switched to new PC and I'm getting low FPS on maps, it drops to 30-50FPS, do you know any solutions?

My PC config:

CPU:  Intel Core i5-13600kf 3.5Ghz
GPU: Asus TUF RTX 4070 Ti OC 12GB
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5
DISC: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB M.2

Not sure if additional PC config is needed tho, I bet it is caused by GPU problem, something like it don't support previous technologies which were used.

Already tried some commands like: seta com_hunkMegs 256 and seta com_maxfps 125 but it didnt help.

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

As far as I know, r_primitives only works on AMD GPU-s on Vanilla ET. If he is using etlegacy or Nvidia GPU there is no effect.

com_hunkMegs needs to be set in shortcut target line, not in console.

Make sure you are using correct GPU to run ET.

If you are using etlegacy type /gfxinfo in the console. If you are using vanilla ET, type r_lastvalidrenderer in the console.

In Nvidia Control Panel go to "Manage 3D settings", in "Program Settings" tab, make sure "Threaded optimisation" is off.

Also make sure you have:

r_finish 0

r_swapInterval 0

17 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

As far as I know, r_primitives only works on AMD GPU-s on Vanilla ET. If he is using etlegacy or Nvidia GPU there is no effect.

com_hunkMegs needs to be set in shortcut target line, not in console.

Make sure you are using correct GPU to run ET.

If you are using etlegacy type /gfxinfo in the console. If you are using vanilla ET, type r_lastvalidrenderer in the console.

In Nvidia Control Panel go to "Manage 3D settings", in "Program Settings" tab, make sure "Threaded optimisation" is off.

Also make sure you have:

r_finish 0

r_swapInterval 0

Are you sure about r_primitives only working for AMD? I have Nvidia GTX 1080 and it did the trick for me when I had a similar problem a few years ago.

I tried adding /r_primitives 2 to config and it seems to be working fine.

Thank you all for your effort, see you in the servers! :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CptQwark said:

Are you sure about r_primitives only working for AMD? I have Nvidia GTX 1080 and it did the trick for me when I had a similar problem a few years ago.

Looks like I was wrong. I remember reading somewhere in the internet.  When I tested it out few years ago, it did nothing for me. I cant test it anymore, because I only  have legacy installed atm.

• Like 1

This 2 topics should help you...

important: you are using nvidia, r_primitives 2 (is for AMD GPU) is not for nvidia, you should use r_primitives 0 (check Rambozo´s post)

another thing, you got 240 hz? you can use com_maxfps 200 or 250, but if you got a screen with 166hz , i suggest to use what the screen is max capable to give you (com_maxfps 160)

last tip: you cannot get good fps is you dont have a good cfg in the nvidia control panel, for that check here (page 3):

Edited by Betinho
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Betinho said:

last tip: you cannot get good fps is you dont have a good cfg in the nvidia control panel, for that check here (page 3):

Nvidida GPU settings have 0 effect on ET FPS. Exept for "Threaded optimisation" off, which gives about 30% fps boost.

1 hour ago, Betinho said:

but if you got a screen with 166hz , i suggest to use what the screen is max capable to give you (com_maxfps 160)

Also not good advice. You always want the highest FPS possible, that your PC and internet connection can handle. More FPS means less latency and input lag, game will be more responsive.  There are lots of videos about this on Youtube. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Nvidida GPU settings have 0 effect on ET FPS. Exept for "Threaded optimisation" off, which gives about 30% fps boost.

This is the Rambozo´sadvice wich i followed and it works perfectly for me since then

6 minutes ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Also not good advice. You always want the highest FPS possible, that your PC and internet connection can handle. More FPS means less latency and input lag, game will be more responsive.  There are lots of videos about this on Youtube. 

Everything should work fine for you to have good fps, but in my experience, if I go to 250 fps on European servers, I get the "connection interrupted" sign, which makes it unplayable for me.
If you play with a good computer, which Insa has, everything is relative and you will never have good "real" FPS if you don't have a good screen.
My suggestion is simple, if you have everything right, you should play with the best that technology gives you, but if you are missing a piece (which can be the screen) you can play with 250 fps on a 60hz screen, in which undoubtedly You will not see the opponent with the same speed as your enemy.
So, I conclude by saying the same thing, if you have a "good" screen, let's say 144hz, I suggest you raise it to Com_maxfps 160 at most, if you raise it to 250 you will honestly not be real and you will have tears on the screen.
Here's a little explanation of what I mean:

"A 60 Hz monitor has the ability to display up to 60 frames-per-second. If you have a more powerful machine that can output more than 60 FPS, your 60Hz monitor will still display exactly the same 60FPS, but there will be screen tearing.

For those that aren’t aware, screen tearing refers to fast-moving objects, or flashes may not appear correctly or appear at all. Essentially, if you have a powerful PC, all that a 60Hz monitor does is bottle-neck your gaming experience and the capacity of graphics that your PC is truly capable of delivering."

https://diamondlobby.com/tech-guides/how-many-fps-can-a-60-hz-monitor-display/#:~:text=top of this).-,How Much FPS Can a 60 Hz Monitor Display%3F,there will be screen tearing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Betinho said:

This is the Rambozo´sadvice wich i followed and it works perfectly for me since then

Well, I have tested all Nvidia settings out myself and there is no point in wasting your time. Only Threaded optimisation off matters.

if I go to 250 fps on European servers, I get the "connection interrupted" sign, which makes it unplayable for me

That is why I sayd :

14 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

the highest FPS possible, that your PC and internet connection can handle

So, I conclude by saying the same thing, if you have a "good" screen, let's say 144hz, I suggest you raise it to Com_maxfps 160 at most, if you raise it to 250 you will honestly not be real and you will have tears on the screen.

I have 144 HZ screen and I can play even with 333 fps with no screen tearing. So your conclusion is wrong. You should always use the highest amount of FPS your internet connection and PC can handle. If you get screen tearing then yes, you should lower your FPS, but only if you get screen tearing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Betinho said:

Everything should work fine for you to have good fps, but in my experience, if I go to 250 fps on European servers, I get the "connection interrupted" sign, which makes it unplayable for me.
If you play with a good computer, which Insa has, everything is relative and you will never have good "real" FPS if you don't have a good screen.
My suggestion is simple, if you have everything right, you should play with the best that technology gives you, but if you are missing a piece (which can be the screen) you can play with 250 fps on a 60hz screen, in which undoubtedly You will not see the opponent with the same speed as your enemy.
Here's a little explanation of what I mean:

"A 60 Hz monitor has the ability to display up to 60 frames-per-second. If you have a more powerful machine that can output more than 60 FPS, your 60Hz monitor will still display exactly the same 60FPS, but there will be screen tearing.

For those that aren’t aware, screen tearing refers to fast-moving objects, or flashes may not appear correctly or appear at all. Essentially, if you have a powerful PC, all that a 60Hz monitor does is bottle-neck your gaming experience and the capacity of graphics that your PC is truly capable of delivering."

https://diamondlobby.com/tech-guides/how-many-fps-can-a-60-hz-monitor-display/#:~:text=top of this).-,How Much FPS Can a 60 Hz Monitor Display%3F,there will be screen tearing.

Yeah, I'm using 180Hz screen and I've set maxfps to 200, and actually it works fine.

7 hours ago, HarryAimpotter said:

Well, I have tested all Nvidia settings out myself and there is no point in wasting your time. Only Threaded optimisation off matters.

That is why I sayd :

I have 144 HZ screen and I can play even with 333 fps with no screen tearing. So your conclusion is wrong. You should always use the highest amount of FPS your internet connection and PC can handle. If you get screen tearing then yes, you should lower your FPS, but only if you get screen tearing.

That's true, friend of mine once told me to set max_fps to the engine limit, if it can handle that it will be better because it's more likely that generated frame will synchronize with screen refresh rate, and it's seems to be true.

Try doing /r_primitives 2 and /com_maxfps 200 as well as /r_finish 0 and possibly lower you're graphics settings as little bit? If you're on et legacy the primitives command won't work, so just skip that one, and if you aren't on ET Legacy I highly suggest it! I'm on a Nvidia GPU and I keep my GPU up to date, and I've had no problems with ET Legacy 😄

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gengis said:

@HarryAimpotter

The ET legacy developpement team removed /r_primitives. They say it was unused !

Who is right ?

Gengis

That is correct and that is what I sayd in my first post.

On 7/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, HarryAimpotter said:

r_primitives only works on AMD GPU-s on Vanilla ET

I had trouble with the skybox lately and it was affecting my fps, try /r_fastsky
who know, maybe it will work for u
*seems like I didnt noticed it was already fixed hahaha