Beware "Fake" Mechanical Keyboards!

RedBaird

• Leader

Linus describes a "Hybrid mechanical-membrane keyboard" advertised as a "mechanical keyboard".  

It does have what appear to be mechanical switches when you take the key caps off but disassembling a 'switch' shows it to actually be a rod with a spring that plunges into a membrane switch, not a mechanical switch mechanism.

This may become more common, and we will need to take closer looks at the available information for any KB that we shop for in the future. :( 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Surprise 3
  • 100 1

I don't know about you guys, but I've always thought that a membrane keyboard is the best choice 😸. He is not so whimsical, less fakes. Yes, mechanic keyboards sounds cooler in, in some ways it’s good ergonomics, but no matter how much I look, at least the price is not justified, even more so in our country. That one is also easier for me as a programmer on a membrane, we have a mechanic keyboards at work, I hate it. By the way, no matter how much I worked on a personal PC, my choice is always the same, as for me this is the best thing that mankind has come up with at all !!! 😁

_2023-04-17_231641089.png.87026c30c913c54f8ff1da5cb138b92e.png

I have this one, it is already 13 years old, zero complaints. 🥳 Well, the truth is, when I bought it, it was a distant 2008-2009, in my opinion, it cost $ 100, and in general it was possible to take a regular keyboard for $ 20-30. $100 in our country in 2008 was quite a lot of money

Edited by Dimo4ka
  • Like 2
  • 100 1

Yeah not sold on the "mechanical switches" etc either, have had mech ones in the past, few nice Cherry keyboards but wife moaned all the time it was too loud....... So i've had a membrane MSI keyboard for past few years, lights up so i can see the keys in the dark, no complaints.

Happy Wife happy life n all that.

• Like 3

And here i sit with my membrane keyboard thinking a keyboard is a keyboard just like the stinking peasant i am... 

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.... 🤭

ironie off...

I remember once having a ultra ergonomical Keyboard with a curved surface and perfect ancle in elevation. 

it was like a charm kissing your ancles. 

That thing was ultra good compared to the regular straight ones+ it was ultra silent compared to my current one.

the biggest plus point on my end was the size of the keys itself, they were a little wider than on the normal ones, so if you have hands like a toilet seat, 

you wont miss the keystroke.

I think it was a microsoft 6000 version, but can´t remember the exact version.

Edited by Vice86
  • Like 3

Cherry 3000 here in grey.

Buyed 1992.

More than 30 years old.

Adapter from DIN to PS/2 and then from PS/2 to USB 😀

From time to time i dissasemble it and wash it with water and a lil bit soap 👍

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know, I just bought a cheap keyboard, like this

Logitech Keyboard K120 Business USB Billentyűzet Német, QWERTZ, Windows®  Fekete | Conrad

I didnt feel the need before that I need to buy one that is better quality 🤔

• Like 1

• Leader
5 hours ago, Vindstot said:

I dont know, I just bought a cheap keyboard, like this

I didnt feel the need before that I need to buy one that is better quality 🤔

I wear out the "cheap" ones too quickly. :( 

• Sad 1