Your opinion?

Spitfire

Lately there is pretty much discussion in Estonia about homosexuals.Now i would like to know what do You everybody think about homosexuals and what would be your reaction when your son tells you that he wants to get married with other men?

I can say myself that i don,t really like them.

I don't know. In one way i'm completely against it. But I had a friend who was straight b4 and than became gay.

Thing is, it isn't natural. You aren't born with it... its a choice you make.

I have no idea what I would do if my son said that to me.

Edited by AJ_nl

I dont really mind. From my experiences you should distinguish between the normal gays and the transvestite gays. I have a good friend whose the first type you wouldnt notice if you didnt know. Never seen him kiss his boyfriend in public either. Not that it would bother me but i guess hes being considerate. On the other hand me, my mother and my sister thought that my brother would be gay (hes still a teenager). Were still not sure how hes actually orientated. As a resumee i would say i really dont mind at all, but i wouldnt be too happy to see them get intimate ( but i wouldnt either with a straight pair).

Lately there is pretty much discussion in Estonia about homosexuals.Now i would like to know what do You everybody think about homosexuals and what would be your reaction when your son tells you that he wants to get married with other men?

I live in the Netherlands, where we are really open-minded about homosexuals. If my imaginary son said he wants to live with men, congratulations. He's honest, he's happy, as a parent I'll be happy :) Shame I couldn't check out which awesome girl he brought home and instead I have to look to some guy, but I'll survive that.

I can say myself that i don,t really like them.

A good friend of mine is gay, and I really don't care he's gay. Right, I don't have to strip dance in front of him (I think, never tried), but the gay people I know don't sexually assault you (me). At least, when you are camping in the wild, that should be an opportunity for them, right? :P

Just don't go to dating places for homosexuals, let them somehow know that they are not your 'type', and they are just like other people. Some wear a lot of purple and pink, talk about their boyfriend instead of their girlfriend, things like that, but that is easy to ignore :P

You aren't born with it... its a choice you make.

Well, actually, most of the time it is not a choice you make. I've heard of a girl who (most likely) became lesbian after too many bad boyfriends, I suspect some are gay by lack of options, but many are definitely gay. On the other hand, some make the choice to ignore the 'love of their life', and remain rather with a wife, than be happy with some guy. Although I have not met those in person (yet), so I can't say anything about that.

Well, actually, most of the time it is not a choice you make. I've heard of a girl who (most likely) became lesbian after too many bad boyfriends, I suspect some are gay by lack of options, but many are definitely gay. On the other hand, some make the choice to ignore the 'love of their life', and remain rather with a wife, than be happy with some guy. Although I have not met those in person (yet), so I can't say anything about that.

I would disagree with that.

Every human should be such open minded to accept and respect others. We are all the same! If they are happy with it......its ok. If my son (well i have no son) would tell me that he is in love with a boy i would give a shit about what other people say. He is my son and thats the reason why i love him dont matter what he would do,like or love.

I don't know. In one way i'm completely against it. But I had a friend who was straight b4 and than became gay.

Thing is, it isn't natural. You aren't born with it... its a choice you make.

I take issue with this line of thinking. Very typical of someone who lets their faith cloud facts, or lack there of. It's one reasons I have a difficult time going to baptist/Lutheran churches anymore. Fact is science has no clue at the moment and there isn't enough research done to determine if it's genetic, choice or a mixture of one or the other. Granted there are certainly those who orient themselves as "homosexual" as a matter of option, and generally you see them jump back and forth or label themselves as "bi-sexual". A good example of this is Ricky Martin. Everybody knew he was gay but him. (j/k)

There have been few studies done, with fairly inconclusive results from what little I've actually researched the subject. Off the top of my head here is a linkto an abstract I used during a paper when I was in school. There was another study done in '93 detailing certain genetic strands along the X chomosome that are possibly markers for sexual preference.

I have no idea how I would react if such a situation would arise. In all honesty I would probably take issue with it. However if your kid is happy and doing well in life then acting like a douche about the matter won't help anything. I prefer to judge people based on their character and morals instead of their sexual preferences.

Wow. IMO this whole topic and the way some of you have reacted is terrible, I'm personally straight but how would you feel if I made a post about black people: do you like them or not? or woman? Or any other prejudiced stereotype that we have tried to remove from society. Being homosexual is someones life choice and if that's what they choose who really cares? The fact that you'd discriminate against someone for it and blatantly say that you don't like people just because their homosexual is completely ignorant and offensive. How does it even effect you, its not like you have to choose it because they do so what point is there in saying you don't like people just because they choose to orientate themselves in that way. IMO this topic should be deleted.

I take issue with this line of thinking. Very typical of someone who lets their faith cloud facts, or lack there of. It's one reasons I have a difficult time going to baptist/Lutheran churches anymore. Fact is science has no clue at the moment and there isn't enough research done to determine if it's genetic, choice or a mixture of one or the other. Granted there are certainly those who orient themselves as "homosexual" as a matter of option, and generally you see them jump back and forth or label themselves as "bi-sexual". A good example of this is Ricky Martin. Everybody knew he was gay but him. (j/k)

There have been few studies done, with fairly inconclusive results from what little I've actually researched the subject. Off the top of my head here is a linkto an abstract I used during a paper when I was in school. There was another study done in '93 detailing certain genetic strands along the X chomosome that are possibly markers for sexual preference.

I have no idea how I would react if such a situation would arise. In all honesty I would probably take issue with it. However if your kid is happy and doing well in life then acting like a douche about the matter won't help anything. I prefer to judge people based on their character and morals instead of their sexual preferences.

Well really he was asking for our opinion. What do YOU think.

Wow. IMO this whole topic and the way some of you have reacted is terrible, I'm personally straight but how would you feel if I made a post about black people: do you like them or not? or woman? Or any other prejudiced stereotype that we have tried to remove from society. Being homosexual is someones life choice and if that's what they choose who really cares? The fact that you'd discriminate against someone for it and blatantly say that you don't like people just because their homosexual is completely ignorant and offensive. How does it even effect you, its not like you have to choose it because they do so what point is there in saying you don't like people just because they choose to orientate themselves in that way. IMO this topic should be deleted.

Idk about anyone else. But I wouldn't hate the person. Like I said I had a friend who turned gay. But that doesn't mean I agree with their choice.

Being black isn't your choice, your born either with white or dark brown skin and everything in between. Being gay, like you said "is someones life choice", which I agree with. its their choice. Unlike what race you are.

I know what you're thinking.

At my school, there are 2 guys. Both are gay, but both completely different. 1 operates on the exact gay stereotype, doing faggy things, showing off to everybody, being a real a**h****, shoving his "gay pride" in everybodies face, until the point where everybody who expresses a view opposing, or just critical of him, is labelled a homophobe. Now this sort of homosexual, everybody despises, not because of his sexual orientation, but because he is a retard.

But for the majority of homosexuals, it doesnt make a difference to the person they are. I mean, I didnt even know the second person was gay, until someone told me about it. Did it change my opinion of him? No. Did it make me see him in a different way? No. Did it make me behave differently around him? No.

Personally, a persons sexual orientation makes no difference to me, unless it intrudes on me personally. But from personal experience, it seems that everybody despises the gay stereotype, the "gay pride" showoff who takes every opportunity to shove their sexual orientation in others faces.

I would disagree with that.

You may. Studies so far has been inconclusive if being gay is 'genetic'/born, environment or a combination.

I think that if it is only the environment, since most people have straight parents (although, I have an example for otherwise), and until you're around 12, you don't know anything about it. Basicly, if the whole environment is straight, why would you be otherwise, other than something you don't understand? Therefore, I somehow agree with you partially, especially when people turn gay after their 60th girlfriend. On the other hand, animals can be homosexual too, like the penguins in the Dutch zoo Artis (source: Artis (Dutch)), and they don't have any examples to learn from. On the other hand, those two apparently don't f*ck each other.

I just think it isn't (only) the environment.

@Butterz: True there are more 'versions' of homosexuals. But to compare, there aren't that many more annoying homosexuals than annoying straight peoples. Luckily enough, most gay people I know aren't annoying, or at least just annoying as a person, not as a homosexual :P

You may. Studies so far has been inconclusive if being gay is 'genetic'/born, environment or a combination.

I think that if it is only the environment, since most people have straight parents (although, I have an example for otherwise), and until you're around 12, you don't know anything about it. Basicly, if the whole environment is straight, why would you be otherwise, other than something you don't understand? Therefore, I somehow agree with you partially, especially when people turn gay after their 60th girlfriend. On the other hand, animals can be homosexual too, like the penguins in the Dutch zoo Artis (source: Artis (Dutch)), and they don't have any examples to learn from. On the other hand, those two apparently don't f*ck each other.

I just think it isn't (only) the environment.

Right, studies have been inconclusive, so its up to our opinion. What do you think and what have u experienced?

Do they have theories why the penguins are gay? They have examples where dogs are gay as well, but thats only when there aren't any females dogs around.

Right, studies have been inconclusive, so its up to our opinion. What do you think and what have u experienced?

Do they have theories why the penguins are gay? They have examples where dogs are gay as well, but thats only when there aren't any females dogs around.

They don't have theories why those penguins are gay. However, there are plenty female penguins at that same area, so that will not be the same thing as with the dogs. (or inmates, better example :P)

In my experience, but I'm not an expert, it is definitely not only based on the environment. I've met enough people who don't consider it as a choice, but as a feeling they have their entire life.

So does that mean that people who go to single-gender schools are all gay?

Because from experience, its the opposite, you get some pretty weird and seedy people evolving from those situations...

@Butterz: True there are more 'versions' of homosexuals. But to compare, there aren't that many more annoying homosexuals than annoying straight peoples. Luckily enough, most gay people I know aren't annoying, or at least just annoying as a person, not as a homosexual :P

Yeah, I was just showing that he Annoying Orange might not be holding things against people who are gay due to their homosexual orientation, but because they are just idiots. But of course there is going to be a diverse range within the homosexual group, just like any other group.