Gaming computer

Kladkakan

I'm partial to the 999 euro one, mainly because I'm an ATi kinda guy. It also has the i7 vs the i5. While it has a lower core clock, it has a larger cache, so it handles more info at once. Outside of those two differences, the basics are the same.

However, if you purchase the first one the page, you still have the option to upgrade at a later date to an i7, toss in more RAM, and a new video card. And you'd save just around 300 euros. This is where I would suggest taking the risk of going with the lower end model (the 679 one), and give it a try and see how it performs. If everything is great in your opinion, you saved 300 euros. If you feel like it could use a little more.. anything, you've got 300 euros to do it with.

So you suggest the 679 one with the i5 processor?

I also have another question what's the difference between an i3 and an i7 processor?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I3 = Dual core with hyperthreading

I7 = quad core with hyperthreading

LGA 1156, also known as Socket H or H1, is an Intel desktop CPU socket. LGA stands for Land Grid Array.

LGA 1156, along with LGA 1366, was designed to replace LGA 775. LGA 1156 is very different from LGA 775. LGA 775 processors were connected to a northbridge using the Front Side Bus. With LGA 1156, the features that were traditionally on a northbridge are integrated onto the processor. The LGA 1156 socket allows the following connections to be made from the processor to the rest of the system:

• PCI-Express 2.0 x16 for communication with a graphics card. Some processors allow this connection to be divided into two x8 lanes to connect two graphics cards. Some motherboard manufacturers use Nvidia's NF200 chip to allow even more graphics cards to be used.
  • DMI for communication with the Platform Controller Hub (PCH). This consists of a PCI-Express 2.0 x4 connection.
  • FDI for communication with the PCH. This consists of two DisplayPort connections.
  • Two memory channels for communication with DDR3 SDRAM. The clock speed of the memory that is supported will depend on the processor.

i3

Product NameEmbeddedMax TDPCores / ThreadsIntel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)Integrated GraphicsIntel® Turbo Boost TechnologyEstimated 1k Unit PriceStatus Intel® Core™ i3-560 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.33 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesNo$138.00Launched Intel® Core™ i3-550 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesNo$117.00Launched Intel® Core™ i3-540 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.06 GHz) Yes 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesNo$117.00Launched Intel® Core™ i3-530 Processor

(4M Cache, 2.93 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesNo$113.00Launched

i5

Product NameEmbeddedMax TDPCores / ThreadsIntel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)Integrated GraphicsIntel® Turbo Boost TechnologyEstimated 1k Unit PriceStatus Intel® Core™ i5-760 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.80 GHz) No 95 Watts4C / 4TYesNoYes$205.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-750S Processor

(8M Cache, 2.40 GHz) No 82 Watts4C / 4TYesNoYes$259.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-750 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) Yes 95 Watts4C / 4TYesNoYes$196.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-680 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.60 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$294.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-670 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.46 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$284.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-661 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.33 GHz) No 87 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$196.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-660 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.33 GHz) Yes 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$196.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-655K Processor

(4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$216.00Launched Intel® Core™ i5-650 Processor

(4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) No 73 Watts2C / 4TYesYesYes$176.00Launched

i7

Product Name

EmbeddedMax TDP Cores / ThreadsIntel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Estimated 1k Unit PriceStatus

Intel® Core™ i7-880 Processor

(8M Cache, 3.06 GHz) No 95 Watts 4C / 8T

Yes Yes $583.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-875K Processor

(8M Cache, 2.93 GHz) No 95 Watts4C / 8TYes Yes$342.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-870S Processor

(8M Cache, 2.66 GHz) No 82 Watts4C / 8TYes Yes$351.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-870 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.93 GHz) No 95 Watts4C / 8TYes Yes$294.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-860S Processor

(8M Cache, 2.53 GHz) No 82 Watts4C / 8TYes Yes$337.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-860 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.80 GHz) Yes 95 Watts4C / 8TYes Yes$284.00Launched

LGA 1366, also known as Socket B, is an Intel CPU socket. This socket supersedes Intel's LGA 775 (Socket T) in the high-end and performance desktop segments. It also replaces the server-oriented LGA 771 (Socket J) in the entry level. LGA stands for land grid array. This socket has 1,366 protruding pins which touch contact points on the underside of the processor (CPU)[2] and accesses up to three channels of DDR3 memory via the processor's internal memory controller.

Socket 1366 (Socket B) uses QPI to connect the CPU to a reduced-function northbridge that serves mainly a PCI-Express controller. A slower DMI is used to connect Intel's most recent northbridge and southbridge components. By comparison, Intel's socket 1156 (Socket H) moves the QPI link and PCI-Express controller onto the processor itself, using DMI to interface a single-component "chipset" (now called PCH) that serves traditional southbridge functions. The difference in pin number is mostly a reflection of the number of memory channels served.

In November 2008, Intel released Core i7, which was the first processor requiring this socket.

i7

Product NameEmbeddedMax TDPCores / ThreadsIntel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)Intel® Turbo Boost Technology

Estimated 1k Unit PriceStatus Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor

(12M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts6C / 12TYesYes$885.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor

(8M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$562.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-950 Processor

(8M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$294.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-940 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$562.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-930 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$294.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor

(8M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 4.80 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$284.00Launched

i7 extreme line

Product NameEmbeddedMax TDPCores / ThreadsIntel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)Intel® Turbo Boost TechnologyEstimated 1k Unit PriceStatus Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition

(12M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts6C / 12TYesYes$999.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-975 Processor Extreme Edition

(8M Cache, 3.33 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$999.00Launched Intel® Core™ i7-965 Processor Extreme Edition

(8M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) No 130 Watts4C / 8TYesYes$999.00Launched

More or less, there is more behind the scenes performance out of the i7 processors that use the LGA 1336 socket than the i5 and i7 processors that use the LGA 1156 socket. Downside, there are less processors currently available for the LGA 1336 (outside of server grade processors), but they will be releasing more and more throughout the future.

All of the XPS 8100's by Dell on the page you linked use the LGA 1156 socket, so as long as you buy one of those, you don't have to worry about the i7 processors that use LGA 1336 until you upgrade the motherboard down the road.

Furthermore, the only differences between the 999 euro and the 1299 euro XPS is 2GB more RAM, 500GB more storage space, an nVidia card instead of an ATi card, and a blu-ray drive. Sadly, the nVidia card smokes the ATi card in practically every test, so it's almost worth the extra cash for the "extreme" performance.

More or less, there is more behind the scenes performance out of the i7 processors that use the LGA 1336 socket than the i5 and i7 processors that use the LGA 1156 socket. Downside, there are less processors currently available for the LGA 1336 (outside of server grade processors), but they will be releasing more and more throughout the future.

All of the XPS 8100's by Dell on the page you linked use the LGA 1156 socket, so as long as you buy one of those, you don't have to worry about the i7 processors that use LGA 1336 until you upgrade the motherboard down the road.

Furthermore, the only differences between the 999 euro and the 1299 euro XPS is 2GB more RAM, 500GB more storage space, an nVidia card instead of an ATi card, and a blu-ray drive. Sadly, the nVidia card smokes the ATi card in practically every test, so it's almost worth the extra cash for the "extreme" performance.

but i can change the card can't i?

Of course; I tried looking around a little bit to see if I could figure out what motherboard these XPS 8100's had, but perhaps I gave up a bit too quickly.

You can configure any of the models to suit your fancy from Dell's website, but the choices are a bit limited. You can at a later date upgrade or change parts at any time. They don't have to be Dell specific, almost any part will work as long as it matches the connection type and physical requirements of your system.

In this particular case, the nVidia GTS 460 outshines the ATi HD 5770 in every aspect. So, you'll be getting better performance by picking the nVidia card, but the ATi uses less power by default.

As for the processor, either one you should be able to overclock, depending on the motherboard Dell ships with the computer. By reputation, you won't be able to do too much with it unless there are physical jumpers on the board to control the FSB (like mine; MSI p43-neo3-f). Just remember, as you push your computer more and more, you're going to want improved cooling, which may be as simple as a new fan or two, switching your cables out for rounded high-airflow cables, or upgrading the heatsink on your processor, or even switching to alternative cooling.

The RAM I would actually pick the lowest available, then purchase performance/gaming RAM for the system and completely replace the OEM RAM. For example, if you can go as low as 2GB and save 100+ euros, use the money you save for some performance RAM and get at least 4GB to start out with. Also keep an eye on the motherboard for compatibility with the RAM for maximum amount.

English specs

Accord to this document, it won't tell us the exact motherboard, but it does provide some insight. These systems only have one PCI-e x16 slot for video. It uses DDR3 1333 (PC-106##) RAM, 4 GB max per slot at 4 slots available.

In this particular case, the nVidia GTS 460 outshines the ATi HD 5770 in every aspect. So, you'll be getting better performance by picking the nVidia card, but the ATi uses less power by default.

As for the processor, either one you should be able to overclock, depending on the motherboard Dell ships with the computer. By reputation, you won't be able to do too much with it unless there are physical jumpers on the board to control the FSB (like mine; MSI p43-neo3-f). Just remember, as you push your computer more and more, you're going to want improved cooling, which may be as simple as a new fan or two, switching your cables out for rounded high-airflow cables, or upgrading the heatsink on your processor, or even switching to alternative cooling.

The RAM I would actually pick the lowest available, then purchase performance/gaming RAM for the system and completely replace the OEM RAM. For example, if you can go as low as 2GB and save 100+ euros, use the money you save for some performance RAM and get at least 4GB to start out with. Also keep an eye on the motherboard for compatibility with the RAM for maximum amount.

English specs

Accord to this document, it won't tell us the exact motherboard, but it does provide some insight. These systems only have one PCI-e x16 slot for video. It uses DDR3 1333 (PC-106##) RAM, 4 GB max per slot at 4 slots available.

I agree. The GTX 460 does outshine the HD 5770 and 4 GB is ideal to start with on a 64 bit system. Also I wouldn't bother going over 1333 mhz for ram unless there is no difference in price (because no computer has been able to utilize speeds more than that amount. Not even a 980X ).

I agree. The GTX 460 does outshine the HD 5770 and 4 GB is ideal to start with on a 64 bit system. Also I wouldn't bother going over 1333 mhz for ram unless there is no difference in price (because no computer has been able to utilize speeds more than that amount. Not even a 980X ).

I actually want a gaming computer that can run wow coz this piece of crap can't it freezes after 5 minutes but i will consider the advice you guys gave me, just gotta save a lil' bit more