Gaming computer

Kladkakan

Once again, get the actual, physical dimension of your power supply. The case is relevant, and there are parts for it. Ignore the picture from the page and look at the details. 5"x2.5"x5.12", compare that to your existing hardware.

But it looks like my first guess was wrong, based on the board type (mini ITX). Try this instead. Doesn't give you much more power, but still, it's an improvement over 220w.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, that won't be top of the line performance, but by god, it'll still look good doing it.

Obviously, you still need a tower, cables for hard drives and dvd drives, the drives themselves, a few case fans, and thermal paste for the processor and heatsink. The only bummer about that motherboard is that it only has 1 PCI-Express x16 slot. So no SLi/Crossfire, which limits upgrade capabilities.

Other the other hand, I've got a lesser system myself, and I push around 120 FPS in most games that I play (330+ in ET, which is my main stay at the moment). I'm certain that the basic parts I've listed should definitely push at least 60FPS at max to close to "damn nice looking" all the time.

The only thing I don't like about the site I used for your part list, is the lack of a robust search feature. If you have time, look for motherboards with either the AM3 socket (AM2+ works as well, but is older), or LGA 1156. Beyond either socket type (AMD - Intel) , try to look for a board with 2 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots, this will allow you to run two of the same video card (SLi or Crossfire) for improved performance. You will also want at least 4 slots for RAM; which should allow for at least 8GB of RAM max to 32GB or more maximum.

To best utilize this hardware, you will need a 64 bit operating system, Windows 7 for compatibility purposes preferred, but if you'd rather have some learning fun, Linux isn't a bad choice.

One of the reasons why I didn't list a case is because cases are a matter of personal preference. You will need to keep form factor in mind between your case and your motherboard that you pick. If you have a regular ATX motherboard, it won't fit in a microATX or miniATX case, but it will fit in a mid-size tower and a full size tower case.

See this is why I like SkyeDarkhawks posts. Always making perfect logical sense =P.

Since he did say his budget was 1800 euros, he could could get a lot more though. But I still would suggest he wait for next month for sandy bridge cpu's from intel. The pricing and performance is already revealed. Date of release is Jan 9

An i5-2400 is $184 but is more powerful than a i7 950 when it comes to gaming. Considering that an i7 950 costs over $300 today, the i5-2400 is a bargain value (if you are making a gaming PC that is).

See this is why I like SkyeDarkhawks posts. Always making perfect logical sense =P.

Since he did say his budget was 1800 euros, he could could get a lot more though. But I still would suggest he wait for next month for sandy bridge cpu's from intel. The pricing and performance is already revealed. Date of release is Jan 9

An i5-2400 is $184 but is more powerful than a i7 950 when it comes to gaming. Considering that an i7 950 costs over $300 today, the i5-2400 is a bargain value (if you are making a gaming PC that is).

1156 is weak , 1366 is the real deal . why b/c my 980x saids so ! lmao

1156 is weak , 1366 is the real deal . why b/c my 980x saids so ! lmao

Lol chuck this isn't 1156 socket :lol:. Also the 980x is a awesome processor but not as much when it comes gaming ( after you go past i7 920 the fps increases are minimal at best). Good for other applications though (depending what you use it for. Will probably still be the king of cpus though)

Look the sandy bridge's mid ranged i5 that only costs $184 has some good to similar performance in some games (if this is their mid ranged cpu's, then the high end must be monster). The i5 2400 is mainly a step above the i7 950 and i7 880 in terms of performance. Also now intel has limited overclocking in their sandybridge to only the K versions of their cpus (the k versions cost $30 more than the regular).

24411.png

24413.png

24412.png

24403.png

24404.png

24397.png

24399.png

24400.png

24426.png

24416.png

lol i sold my 930 for 220 and got the 980 for 825 , you do the math , dont get me worng that new i5 is new for upcoming gamers , did u find any oc review s >?

Ya it is pretty much the gamers only type CPU from the looks of it. The 980 is more like a "do everything the best." Also there is no oc reviews unfortunately but I doubt they would be that good (doesn't look like anyone has gotten their hands on the intel k model cpus. The non kmodels have limited overclocking ability).

In the end though I predict that it is probably not going to be the grand bejesus that it is all thought out to be (but it will be good step towards gamers on a budget). Also 1156 socket is getting dumped =P (but 1366 is still alive)

Guys i found a tower and i wanted your opinion on it XPS 8100 dell, with i7 processor, is that alright?

How much is it?

Ya it is pretty much the gamers only type CPU from the looks of it. The 980 is more like a "do everything the best." Also there is no oc reviews unfortunately but I doubt they would be that good (doesn't look like anyone has gotten their hands on the intel k model cpus. The non kmodels have limited overclocking ability).

In the end though I predict that it is probably not going to be the grand bejesus that it is all thought out to be (but it will be good step towards gamers on a budget). Also 1156 socket is getting dumped =P (but 1366 is still alive)

How much is it?

It's 999 euros with i7-processor and i can add up to 16gb ram which i'll probably do, but i'm not sure if i'm going to customise it. Might add a new video card though

Not bad at all, are you having it customized by Dell, or getting it off the shelf as is?

Gonna customize it a lil' bit, add some ram and a new video card and for the rest i'll see

Just looking at Dell's website for the computer, almost any of the configuration options aren't a bad choice. I'd almost recommend starting out on the low end of Dell's customization, because you'll definitely be able to get the parts for cheaper from someone other than Dell... at least, more than likely. Plus, wouldn't you just hate it if you wasted 200 euro on having them customize it, only to find out that the games play just about the same as if you hadn't?

Just looking at Dell's website for the computer, almost any of the configuration options aren't a bad choice. I'd almost recommend starting out on the low end of Dell's customization, because you'll definitely be able to get the parts for cheaper from someone other than Dell... at least, more than likely. Plus, wouldn't you just hate it if you wasted 200 euro on having them customize it, only to find out that the games play just about the same as if you hadn't?

i buy the 999 euros or the normal one, which costs 599 euros?

I'm partial to the 999 euro one, mainly because I'm an ATi kinda guy. It also has the i7 vs the i5. While it has a lower core clock, it has a larger cache, so it handles more info at once. Outside of those two differences, the basics are the same.

However, if you purchase the first one the page, you still have the option to upgrade at a later date to an i7, toss in more RAM, and a new video card. And you'd save just around 300 euros. This is where I would suggest taking the risk of going with the lower end model (the 679 one), and give it a try and see how it performs. If everything is great in your opinion, you saved 300 euros. If you feel like it could use a little more.. anything, you've got 300 euros to do it with.