Crashing on F|A non Silentmod servers

BNJY
Go to solution Solved by BNJY,

Hello to you all!

First of all; my name is Ben and in-game the name is BNJY***. You may seen me around in the F|A servers the past days. I've played ET for a very long time and now after like 10 years I downloaded it again. I was searching for servers with human players, but after joining many bot servers I was almost giving up thinking nobody was playing this game anymore. Then I joined a F|A server and it was all good old times fun again!

After that the issues started. First one was that I had no sound anymore on my Windows desktop playing ET from Steam. I 'solved' this problem by downloading ETLegacy so I could remain playing. But then today a new issue occured which is that I cannot join any server of F|A anymore except the Silentmod version. The game crashes on the loading screen. This is strange because I was playing on the F|A Jaymod servers before, also with my ETLegacy.

Does anyone know how to solve this one? Otherwise I think it was a very short comeback :')

Ben

I assume you have an etkey in your etmain folder? asking as silent uses its own key so would work with or without an etkey

When you installed legacy did you uninstall the steam version first?

There are a few options but can start with the following first.

You could try and remove the mod(s) of the servers that don't work....So you can delete the entire Jaymod folder for instance, reconnect to an FA jaymod server and your install should then download a new jaymod folder along with the mod direct from FA's servers, do that and try to connect again.

Or 

You could download and install ET 2.60b from FA's download section, its a full and clean install.

If you do go to install this you will have to uninstall legacy first and any other ET related installs. Although 2.60b and Legacy can and do both run on the same system removing Legacy will also remove any problems with that install, if there are any.

If you prefer legacy you can always reinstall legacy again after 2.60b and it will work in conjunction with 2.60b (this is how mine is).

Try those and let us know, we can then try other things if still not working.

Edited by Snuffs99
  • Like 2

• Leader
On 9/8/2022 at 12:02 AM, BNJY said:

t I cannot join any server of F|A anymore except the Silentmod version.

Did you also try any FA NoQuarter servers or the FA Nitmod server?

Jay & NoQuarter depends on the etkey file, while Nitmod has its own GUID system, like SilentMod does.

If Silent & Nitmod work for you, but Jaymod and NoQuarter do not, then that might be another clue.

:hmm The lack of a GUID should not cause a crash, I don't think, just a rejection of connection. :?: 

• 100 1

On 9/9/2022 at 5:11 AM, daredevil said:

What is ET crashing report saying in Error Logs:

You can do that through windows. 

image.png

Hm, nothing to find on there from ET crashing unfortunately.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:57 PM, RedBaird said:

Did you also try any FA NoQuarter servers or the FA Nitmod server?

Jay & NoQuarter depends on the etkey file, while Nitmod has its own GUID system, like SilentMod does.

If Silent & Nitmod work for you, but Jaymod and NoQuarter do not, then that might be another clue.

:hmm The lack of a GUID should not cause a crash, I don't think, just a rejection of connection. :?: 

Yes have tried that too and it worked.

And now after a few days the server who cause the crash works fine again 🤷‍♂️ So let's hope it was just a rejection of connection. Unfortunately I couldn't find any 'fix' for this as something decided that it can work again.

• Haha 1

• Solution
On 9/8/2022 at 6:44 PM, Snuffs99 said:

I assume you have an etkey in your etmain folder? asking as silent uses its own key so would work with or without an etkey

When you installed legacy did you uninstall the steam version first?

There are a few options but can start with the following first.

You could try and remove the mod(s) of the servers that don't work....So you can delete the entire Jaymod folder for instance, reconnect to an FA jaymod server and your install should then download a new jaymod folder along with the mod direct from FA's servers, do that and try to connect again.

Or 

You could download and install ET 2.60b from FA's download section, its a full and clean install.

If you do go to install this you will have to uninstall legacy first and any other ET related installs. Although 2.60b and Legacy can and do both run on the same system removing Legacy will also remove any problems with that install, if there are any.

If you prefer legacy you can always reinstall legacy again after 2.60b and it will work in conjunction with 2.60b (this is how mine is).

Try those and let us know, we can then try other things if still not working.

Yes I uninstalled the Steam version first before I installed the Legacy.

That are some options to have in mind for when it occures again. The problem solved itself after a few days 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your help! @Snuffs99 @daredevil @RedBaird

• Like 2

• Leader
13 hours ago, BNJY said:

as something decided that it can work again.

My "laugh" reaction was for this.  🤣  

I immediately thought of the phrase, "ghost in the machine", in the modern usage of the term, nor the original meaning originated by Descartes. 😄  (Yes, I did "google it" to make sure of the proper usage.  I constantly run into "old ideas & phrases" twisted into 'modern usages', such as the word "meme" and its original concept.)

• Administrators
13 hours ago, BNJY said:

Yes I uninstalled the Steam version first before I installed the Legacy.

That are some options to have in mind for when it occures again. The problem solved itself after a few days 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for your help! @Snuffs99 @daredevil @RedBaird

It would be nice have details from Error log, so we can investigate the issue for you before it happens. 

Glad to know it's resolved. Cheers.

• Like 1

• Leader
20 hours ago, daredevil said:

It would be nice have details from Error log, so we can investigate the issue for you before it happens. 

Yes, @BNJY .  That information might help others in the furure. PLUS, there is no guarantee against the same problem might happen to YOU again in the future!  👻 🖥️

• 1 month later...

Hey,
I ran into the same issue today.
Was playing yesterday normally launching via Steam and today the non-Silent servers ended up crashing the game.
I managed to log the crash. See the file attached.

etconsole.log

• Thanks 1