ET Server Suggestion bundle a basic.cfg with F|A menu pk3

The steam players are getting a slightly modified version of 2.60b so it might be helpful to add one or a more new basic configs into the F|A menu pk3 so that the players can be told for example:

"Open console by pressing the ~ key (below ESC) and type \exec basic.cfg"

I think the basic.cfg should target the main causes of low FPS and cumbersome things that are not in the menus like bobbing movement. Other settings they can learn over time but these one will make the game much more playable immediately and help retain more new players.

//sample basic.cfg

seta sensitivity "1.5"
seta cl_maxPackets "100"
seta rate "50000"

//boost FPS
r_primitives "2"
cg_shadows "0"

//disable cumbersome effects
seta cg_bloodDamageBlend "0"
seta cg_bloodFlash "0"
seta cg_bloodTime "0"
seta cg_bobup "0"
seta cg_bobpitch "0"
seta cg_bobroll "0"
seta cg_bobyaw "0"

echo "^3basic.cfg loaded"

There could also be a separate cfg in the menu pk3 for helping people play at native resolutions, for example:

"To play at 1080p (1920x180) open console by pressing the ~ key (below ESC) and type \exec 1080p.cfg"

//sample 1080p.cfg

seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_customhight "1080"

//assumes the player is using 90 in 4:3
//this should be a safe assumption for new players
seta cg_fov 106.2602

vid_restart
wait 100
echo "^31080p.cfg loaded -- video restarted"

Edited by the cake is a lie
added echo commands for feedback
  • Like 4
  • 100 4

On 4/28/2022 at 4:04 PM, the cake is a lie said:

Should probably also add these to the basic.cfg to make debugging player issues faster:

seta cg_lagometer 1
seta cg_drawFPS 1

May want to hold off on the lagometer part of the config imo. I don't think any new players will really understand what it's telling them (hell I don't even really know and I've been playing for over 10 years😄) and it does tend to clutter the screen a bit. I think it would be better to tell people that are experiencing lag after the initial config change about the command if they need it rather than giving it to them right away. Other than that this looks good and I'm sure would help lots of people.

Yeah, the lagometer may not be essential but there isn't much harm to having it though as it doesn't have a meaningful impact on FPS as far as I can tell. It's usually good enough for most players to see the difference when they play between a flat green line and blue triangles and a chaotic mess of green "mountains" in the bottom, yellow peaks in the top, and maybe those nasty red vertical lines.

I have also seen a lot of the new players try to do "net_graph 1" which is the equivalent in source engine games like TF2 and CS:GO.

• Like 1

When looking through the user list, I'm seeing a lot of unregistered users looking at threads such as "getting more fps", "how to aim", "how to set a custom resolution", etc...

It might be a good idea to get all these basic commands together to clean up the game, a few links to tutorials for configs, player configs, aiming/strategy, how to use the console, how to set up nvidia for ET or ET for Radeon, How to change your name and add colors, how to set up your resolution, how to connect to FA servers through the console with addresses, etc, and add a very large link on the main page so the new players from steam can't miss it and have everything they need in one spot.  I'm willing to type a bunch of it up and cake's basically already gotten started, just need to put it all together in one place that they can't miss.

@the cake is a lie @daredevil

*edit*

Just checked right now and there's 4 unregistered users looking at FPS issue topics.  It's probably something as simple as primitives 2, com_maxfps, or nvidia settings.

• Like 2
  • 100 3

I've already started!  Writing an entire config from scratch right now that includes all the information they need for each cvar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Haruhi Suzumiya said:

Should be done with it soon.  Has been a lot of work.

If you need it proof reading or anything feel free to send me a Discord DM bud.

I'll probablg write it all up in a text file since it'll take forever to post.  Including 4 dofferent basic cfgs with SS's for each so people can choose by what gfx quality they want.  Also a tutorial on setting up ur pc and drivers for ET, how to set the command line for the exe, a bunch of links to tutorials as well as some of my personal input. Even made a copy of the cdg with explinations for mosy of the cvars.

• 100 1