Shaders or textures problem, some objects are pitch black

qrzy

Hello, You may recognize me from begginers fa et server :) I have a graphics problem I can't resolve even after spending so much time on configuration.

Recently when I started playing ET again with my friends
I noticed some of the textures are black. Mostly all trees and bushes are black which doesn't affect the gameplay, however some shady areas have the same issue.

Before Oasis map was upgraded, small tunnel underneath the entrance on the right side between allied first spawn and the old city was completely black, I couldn't see where I was heading. Next Oasis version fixed the problem, as well as similar issues were fixed on newer versions of some other maps, however some maps like Tramfight still have this issue, and this is what it looks like (see attachment).

My ET version: ET Legacy v2.76 linux-i386 Jan  6 2019 (newer version crashes, doesn't start for me)
Graphics: GF 750Ti
Driver version: 470.74

Please tell me if you need any more info, logs or config files.

Zrzut ekranu z 2022-02-07 22-33-11.jpg

• Surprise 1

Start by backing up your current config by connecting to Beginners #2 and entering this command in console:

\writeconfig backup

This will create a file named backup.cfg in the folder of the currently loaded mod (probably for you at ~/.etlegacy/silent/backup.cfg). It is probably some bad combination of r_ignorehwgamma, r_overbrightbits, r_mapoverbrightbits, r_intensity, and r_gamma. You can probably solve it by resetting those to their default values but, if that doesn't work, upload backup.cfg here so we can take a look.

To rule out a non-ET setting or driver issue you should try resetting your ET configuration to default by entering these two commands in console:

\cvar_reset
\vid_restart

This will either fix the black texture issue (and mess up a bunch of your other settings) or it won't.

Let us know if it fixes the problem so we can continue debugging down one of two paths:

• If it is fixed, the problem is in your config and we will be able to find it after you post it here.
  • If it is not fixed, there is probably a graphic driver setting or library issue.

To restore your existing setting and play with the issue in the meantime enter:

\exec backup.cfg
 \vid_restart
Edited by the cake is a lie

• Leader
12 hours ago, qrzy said:

I've probably posted in wrong place. Please move my topic to this forum if it's needed: https://fearless-assassins.com/forums/forum/11-et-support/

/DONE

Thanks for the suggestion! 😄  

Notice that @Buckwild's and @the cake is a lie's suggestions are both ways of preserving what you have "right now" and still have the original ET settings.

When working with computers it is best to work on a copy of a file or installation, just in case you end up with a pile of 💩 that you cannot 'return from'. 

You could actually combine the two suggestions by copying your whole Wolfenstein folder from ? c:/program-files ? into a new location and try to trouble-shoot it there.  You could also copy it to a USB stick and work on it from there!  😄  Name that UsB folder something different so that you don't get the two installations confused! 😢

Other players have had that same problem over the years, as I recall. :hmm 

• Leader
3 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Other players have had that same problem over the years, as I recall. :hmm 

Here is a search for "black" in this forum, which seems to find other posts about "black screens" and unrelated items.

Showing results for 'black' in content posted in ET Support. - Fearless Assassins (fearless-assassins.com)

have you try to  deleted the map file and just rejoin and have the map redownload sounds like a simple remove file and redownload fix to me