ETL: not able to screenshot/condump

amovos
Go to solution Solved by amovos,

Dear forum dwellers,

I am hoping that some of you know ET legacy better than I do, because I have problems with screenshotting/condump.

When I try the following commands in the console: /screenshot /screenshotjpeg /condump, it never succeeds.

For screenshots it gives the error: failed to open screenshot.
For condump it gives a similar message.

See attached messages.

For the record recording and saving demo's does work.

I am using ET Legacy v2.79.0 currently. In v2.28.1 it also did not work. It used to work in version v 2.27.x and below.

Thanks for the help!

couldnt_open_txt.png

failed_to_open_screenshot.png

2 hours ago, TBAR Flash said:

Ecxuse me, never heard.

Which antivirus software do you use?

Where did you download ETL?

Avast (free version) currently.

I downloaded it from the official site.

F.y.i. this solution was proposed by @Gladiator on discord and solved a problem with condump writing for him as well.

Edited by amovos

31 minutes ago, tEst453 said:

id check the permission to the folder you use to write the files ..

I doubt that the permission to specific folders is a problem. As ET can write demo files without problems to the same path.

Furthermore, editing the ETlegacy folder is (and already was) enabled for all users 

Edited by amovos

• Platinum VIP
21 hours ago, amovos said:

Avast (free version) currently.

I downloaded it from the official site.

F.y.i. this solution was proposed by @Gladiator on discord and solved a problem with condump writing for him as well.

Why do you use AV at all?? If you use Windows, Defender does the job just fine. Those, especially free version AV's are pointless. Or get a good VPN.

• Like 1
  • 100 1

7 minutes ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Why do you use AV at all?? If you use Windows, Defender does the job just fine. Those, especially free version AV's are pointless. Or get a good VPN.

It seemed to be the AV that slowed down my computer the least amount. Although I am not sure whether security-wise Avast is better or worse than windows defender. In general I dont like defender.

i used av long ago an figured out it was what was giving me troubles. i kinda think its junk. but some one prolly loves it. i dont like defender much either. i have my own way of protecting my pc . dont need that crap.

so av was blocking your path to save a jpeg ? 

• Like 2

• Platinum VIP
19 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

i used av long ago an figured out it was what was giving me troubles. i kinda think its junk. but some one prolly loves it. i dont like defender much either. i have my own way of protecting my pc . dont need that crap.

Same here, I use Linux lol

• Like 1

20 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

Thanks for your opinion :) I might look for something different security-wise. 

Av did indeed block the jpeg saving (and .txt condump) somehow. Not sure whether it blocked the path directly or just blocking the output ET was trying to generate. It is weird that it did not block the demo recordings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -=HipKat=- said:

Same here, I use Linux lol

my buddy in bunker neurosis he set up a linux machine just as his firewall. lol i remember him and   sneak trying to get in each others pcs .lol on teamspeak.

i always wanted to do this also. but  im not a linux guy. for me  if i cant turn off the antivirus for gaming i dont want it. if i remember correct avast free runs all the time. 

• Platinum VIP
11 hours ago, captnconcrete said:

my buddy in bunker neurosis he set up a linux machine just as his firewall. lol i remember him and   sneak trying to get in each others pcs .lol on teamspeak.

i always wanted to do this also. but  im not a linux guy. for me  if i cant turn off the antivirus for gaming i dont want it. if i remember correct avast free runs all the time. 

I played around with different distros over the years and last year made a Dual boot with Manjaro. A few months ago I made a commitment to try and not go back to Windows and after a few weeks, I stopped using Windows at all. I had to d/l ETL thought to play ET