Can this setup run Wolfenstein at 60fps ?

Anonymous150

I want to make a christmas gift to my dad. He currently runs a terrible setup :

i3 530 2,93Ghz
6GO RAM
Windows 10 Family 

I told him many times to upgrade his PC but he doesn't wanna, he says he only plays Wolfenstein anyway. The thing is, even Wolfenstein runs like shit on this config, I can see the FPS plunging below 20 as soon as there are a lot of players and explosions on screen.

I've got a limited budget, but I could afford a second-hand Acer Veriton X4630G at the local store with the following:

i5 4440 4x 3,1 Ghz
4GO RAM
Windows 10 Pro

No GPU of course, this is no gaming PC but WET is the only game he has played for the last 15 years and he's not gonna be interested into anything else any time soon, so hopefully it should be enough to make at least this one game run flawlessly. Could anyone confirm it for me please ?

Two years ago, i was running ET on a laptop bought in 2011.

It was less than what your father has now and ET was running perfectly with good FPS.

ET doesnt ask a lot since it is a  old game from 2003.

Of course, his ISP is good so the problem could be somewhere else ?

Gengis

9 hours ago, Gengis said:

Of course, his ISP is good so the problem could be somewhere else ?

Gengis

No, his Internet service provider is also rather crappy actually, but since I can clearly see a drop in frames per second when he plays I always assumed it's the hardware that is at fault, since when I'm lagging in a game I just teleport and stuff, my FPS don't actually drop. Plus, it's bad compared to today's standards, but I assume that even 100kB/s was more than enough to play WET 17 years ago

8 hours ago, daredevil said:

Can you ask him to run config? Happy to see son helping his dad so he can enjoy the game he likes. Kudos to you, my friend! 

Thanks, but what do you mean "run config"? Is that a game setting ? I don't actually play the game myself so I dunno

Edited by Anonymous150

On 12/22/2020 at 3:08 AM, Anonymous150 said:

No, his Internet service provider is also rather crappy actually, but since I can clearly see a drop in frames per second when he plays I always assumed it's the hardware that is at fault, since when I'm lagging in a game I just teleport and stuff, my FPS don't actually drop. Plus, it's bad compared to today's standards, but I assume that even 100kB/s was more than enough to play WET 17 years ago

Thanks, but what do you mean "run config"? Is that a game setting ? I don't actually play the game myself so I dunno

Config contains all your game settings. graphic settings, keybindings, etc. When run or "exec" you config, it will set all your game settings that have lines in the config to what their values are. Note that it'll only change what lines/commands are in the config. Most these commands are super easy to edit/change/tweak.

bind CAPSLOCK "+speed"
bind LEFTALT "+stats"
bind LEFTCTRL "+movedown"
bind LEFTSHIFT "+sprint"

seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_noborder "0"
seta r_centerWindow "0"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_customheight "1080"
seta r_swapInterval "0"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_customaspect "1"
seta r_displayRefresh "144"

Small part of what is in mine. So if I have my game set to 800x600 resolution and typed /exec cabal2 then my resolution would change to whats in the config which is 1920x1080.

And yes. While poor speed in today's standards, 100kb/s is more than enough to downlaod pk3's in ET. Not like youre downloading a game file thats 1gb. Couple megabytes per file.

Your specs should be able to run 60fps in "perfect atmosphere". However servers like FA Recruting, or jay1 for short: you will see massive frame drops due to the amount of what is happening in the server. I even get frame drops in most extreme cases with Ryzen 9 3900X and RTX 2080Super when playing on jay1. This doesnt happen anywhere near as much when playing "calmer" servers like Jay2 or FA Silent