Windows Ram install requirements

Owned

So perhaps a stupid question but im planning on adding another RAM stick into my motherboard, however im wondering if there are any specific requirements to be met other than it fitting the board and being the same specs as the already present RAM.

For example do I need to do any installs/setups after having it installer or is it more a plug and boot thing where it just works?

Also for games or stuff like steam which sometimes does a hardware check for 2FA for example, does it need to get updated or should that be fine as it is a 'relatively' minor upgrade?

Just want to make sure that i'm not going to screw things up and get a load of work out of something that in my mind should be kinda simple.

Cheers for the info :)

post mobo specs.. some boards oc ur ram .. like mine does. but its pretty straight forward also what o/s u running . and how much ram u run now  and howmuch will u be adding. with my board   its basically plug an play with adding ram ..it will recognize it ..

Edited by captnconcrete

let me find the specs, I have a list somewhere and post it here. the ram im wanting to ad is the same as is already present in my mobo.

Win 7 64bit

Kingston KVR16N11/8 - DDR3 8GB - 240 pins - 1600 Mhz / PC3-12800 CL11 - 1.5v Non buffered -> basically want to double this

Asus B85M-G Rev X.ox - according to a site i just checked the max ram on this board is 32GB   All Series Mobo, trying to find the specific model, i'm having a bit of trouble finding out which one i specifically have. The shopping list i had has been changed on the site i bought it from so i cant see atm what specific spec one i got. from what i can remember there is a second slot present for additional RAM

Edited by Owned
added info

u can download a program called speccy it will tell u. id say as long as  the mobo supports 16 gigs itll be fine.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download

Edited by captnconcrete
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Leader
4 hours ago, Owned said:

rom what i can remember there is a second slot present

Okay, then you should not have to worry if the mobo is double- or triple-channel.  wrong! 

My 9-year old system takes triple-channel, which means that I have to add ram in threes or else the 'channels' revert to single-channel and I lose that "multi-ram in a channel" advantage.  My experience may be out-of-date now.  😄  I don't know if adding an identical RAM-stick would give you dual-channel or not.  💤

Maybe you can post info about your computers model ID (or mobo if you built it yourself), and someone can look it up.

Edited by RedBaird
model/mobo IDs
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedBaird said:

Okay, then you should not have to worry if the mobo is double- or triple-channel.  

My 9-year old system takes triple-channel, which means that I have to add ram in threes or else the 'channels' revert to single-channel and I lose that "multi-ram in a channel" advantage.  My experience may be out-of-date now.  😄  I don't know if adding an identical RAM-stick would give you dual-channel or not.  💤

Maybe you can post info about your computers model ID (or mobo if you built it yourself), and someone can look it up.

Im trying to find out what mobo i have atm, the online store i bought the parts from no longer sells them and removed them from the site entirely so i cant look it up there sadly. I have my pc screwed open to see but there is a lot of dust and i'd almost bet the ID number is hidden behind a component or something as im not having much luck finding out atm lol 😄

• Leader
4 hours ago, Owned said:

Asus B85M-G Rev X.ox

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/  (The image might not precisely match your mobo, given version changes, aka "Rev X.ox" etc.  The latter may have more to do with the BIOS/UEFI.  It looks like you have the ability to copy the BIOS data to a USB-stick/drive and restore it that way! 😄 )

The image shows 4 ram-slots, 2 yellow and 2 black.  The site says, " 2-channel (4 DIMM) DDR3 memory ".

If you only have one stick of ram in it now, then you should add the second stick in a slot that matches the color that the first one is in.  That will give you "dual-channel" ram, which is 'faster' than sticks put into differently-colored slots.  Always add ram-sticks to make pairs and not odd-numbers.

The Memory Support page : https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk_QVL/

The Help Desk for that mobo, with lots of Goodies :  https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk/  (including the Manual, if you need it.)

I built my system some 9 years ago with an ASUS ROG mobo.  Neither ASUS nor Microsoft would guarantee it for Win10.  It works fine, but I did have some trouble with the last major update.  I ended up getting my old PS/1 KB out after the third update attempt so that I could  restore the previous build. (USB was not working :o I kept delaying the update installation until they eventually made a version that my system can use. 🙏  

According to ASUS, its non ECC buffered dual channel memory architecture (we see in 2 diff. colors DIMMs slots). For be on a safe side - you need to comply with ASUS QVL(Qualified Vendors Lists) on asus.com

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RedBaird said:

I found the Model ID on their sample pic of the Mobo, but was not able to make out their Revision #.

1271337213_forOWNED9cC6YanCynZKERGM_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg.ac787e80cab03f23e528b2c43dfc6267.jpg

yeah thats pretty much what I have in my pc.

So in summary from what I understand:

• Get RAM identical to what i already have
  • Install in slot of same color on the mobo
  • Boot pc
  • profit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1