BSOD

FinZeroX

Heya.

As some of you already know, I'm now running a new and smoother PC. Everything seems to be perfect and I get a steady 125 FPS.

But theres one problem: I may suddendly end up in the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death). It happens rarely but anyway. Usually it comes when the server is playing one of those fun sounds and the sound starts to weirdly&loudly lag and then the BSOD comes.

This isn't that big problem, but it'd be nice to get rid of it. So if you're experiencing these problems, please share your info.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T (Thuban) OCed to 3,4GHz 9MB

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H version 2.1 with latest FD BIOS

GC: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC 715MHz

HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 7000rpm 16MB 250GB

RAM: OCZ 2x2GB Platinum CL7 OCed&Ganged

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 with both fans attached, idle temp under 30C

I think it might be due to overclocking, but the problem is that I've ran stability tests and they didn't show up any problems.

So what could it be?

When you have some free time, run chkdsk /f /r /b as well as running a Disk Defragmenting tool (the one built into Windows is OK).

You may want to disable some features like Shadow Caching to see if that improves the infrequency of the BSoD (until we get to know what the error message actually said). Most often BSoD are "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" along with some numbers. There's a chance that it was that error, in which the numbers will be useful or you can check the manufacturer for your motherboard and see if they've released any BIOS or other updates for your board, along with checking for any updates for the drivers for your sound and video cards.

As SkyeDarkhawk said; upgrading your BIOS should be a first step.

Also, there are some diagnostic test programs you can download which check for BSOD causers.. I don't remember any examples though I'm afraid, as it's been a long time since I used windows..

So check for any BIOS upgrades.. You can see what bios version you're running on the first screen you see when turning your computer on.. It will say at the bottom of the screen "Bios Version 5" or something.. You can also check the version by entering the bios (F12 at startup? Again, I forget.. Might be F2) and viewing the 'about' tab (or similar). Then check the bios version on your mb's manufacturer bios downloads..

And search google for BSOD diagnostic program or something..

ps: always make sure you back-up before upgrading anything..

Chuckun

Oh ye thanks Nugget, that was propably the cause.

I recently changed/modified some files and discovered that Win7 does not automaticly give me full rights for every file/folder even if I'm the only user. So I had to manually allow everything.

I'll see if it helps.

Oh ye thanks Nugget, that was propably the cause.

I recently changed/modified some files and discovered that Win7 does not automaticly give me full rights for every file/folder even if I'm the only user. So I had to manually allow everything.

I'll see if it helps.

That's Windows' UAC (User Account Control). You could disable it in the Control Panel if you're sure you don't need it.

That's Windows' UAC (User Account Control). You could disable it in the Control Panel if you're sure you don't need it.

What does it exactly do? And is it usable if using only one user profile on the system?

What does it exactly do? And is it usable if using only one user profile on the system?

It is in fact helpful (while also being much of a placebo) and shouldn't be disabled unless you're in a secure environment and absolutely sure of what you do. You could find more about it on Wikipedia.

Lol with those windows safety measures. You keep messing with them for years and it doesn´t help you a bit, and then you get tired of clicking OK on every action and by Murphys law theres a virus waiting for you in next visit on internet ;) If you disabled them all you could also turn to WinXP or earlier :P

Actually, the file permissions isn't part of UAC, it's part of the NTFS structure in Windows 7. And taking permissions of files from one hard drive to another is never fun. Make sure when you take permissions of a folder to check the box for "Include subfolders and files" or something along those lines.