I'm going green... here's why

Xernicus

bsod.thumb.jpg.518bf68c25c6fd3b5ed802ce395e8c05.jpg

As you all know, I've been an avid Radeon supporter for many years. I've bought nothing but Radeon GPUs over the course of the past nine years, and today that streak came to an end.
It's not that their hardware isn't competitive. Nor has it been waiting for a decent architecture. I can live without HairWorks, ray tracing, and CUDA acceleration. Only 71 fps in ET? No problem. Microstuttering? I can live with it.

Their drivers though. Oh man. What a steaming heap of ----. And that's why I'm parting ways with Radeon GPUs.  And blue screens only paint a tiny fraction of the picture.
For six months, I thought my GPU had failed. It had all the telltale signs of failure: black screens, artifacts, fans ramping up to 100% with a system hang, you name it.
I used a backup card for many months until I absolutely needed my 480 for some work. I only needed it to work for 15 minutes. It's now been running for over a month without a problem.
That's right, their drivers were so bad they mimicked hardware failure. (expensive hardware failure, at that) And yes, I threw the book at it (DDU, rolling back, flashing vbios, etc).

Now I've been in the market to upgrade for some time. But I didn't really see any competition, and I wanted to continue to support AMD. So I waited. For the disaster that was Vega, and I waited for Navi. 
And seven months down the line, only half of the issues with Navi have been fixed. Now people are saying to wait for Navi 2. But this time, I'm finally fed up. I need something that just works.

So I'm going back to Nvidia.

Big whoop right? I make a long post just to say that? Well, no. Because I also can't recommend Radeon products any more, they've lost my trust.
And if you're building a new PC, or considering an upgrade with a Radeon GPU, I just have two words: Good luck.

• Haha 1
  • Surprise 2

Glad you've come over to the green side, i hope you wont be disappointed.

I moved from radeon cards way back when my old 9800 died a death and have never looked back, so probably around 2004/5?....i tend to stick with a card until it either dies or i need a newer one cos the old one isn't capable any more sort of thing. I think if i can get 4-5 years out of a card i'm hapyp and can justify the stupid prices of a newer one. :D

One thing i will say though is if your planning to buy an RTX then if possible wait for the newer cards as the 2000 RTX series must be due a replacement soon, nothing worse than buy something for PC only for it to be replaced a month or so later..

6 hours ago, Snuffs99 said:

Glad you've come over to the green side, i hope you wont be disappointed.

I moved from radeon cards way back when my old 9800 died a death and have never looked back, so probably around 2004/5?....i tend to stick with a card until it either dies or i need a newer one cos the old one isn't capable any more sort of thing. I think if i can get 4-5 years out of a card i'm hapyp and can justify the stupid prices of a newer one. :D

One thing i will say though is if your planning to buy an RTX then if possible wait for the newer cards as the 2000 RTX series must be due a replacement soon, nothing worse than buy something for PC only for it to be replaced a month or so later..

I did buy an RTX... that's all I'm gonna say for now. Want to keep my build a surprise for now. ;)
But I did buy from EVGA, so if the 3000 series is released at GTC, I can use their step-up program.

• 100 1