Windows Windows-10 Spring update

HI all,

Microsoft update decided to update 1 of my laptops with windows-10 1803 version and killed my Office installation.

It keeps asking for an install cd :).

Never had 1 and never used 1.

Anybody has a clue or is it another Spring Creators bug.

Cheers Anton

• Leader

I have seen "asking for CD" during a search for answers to my own update problem.  You are not alone with that bug.

I was a "seeker" (one who keeps asking Update to check for updates :) ) and my installation attempts failed four times with a blank screen on restart and two different error codes. I was trying to update 1709 to 1803.  I found a batch file that renamed three critical update data stores so that MS would 'refresh' them, but that did not help.  I had to rewrite the batch file to restore the data (and get my update history list back).  (OF Course, on the first run, I forgot to "run as admin" and was shocked at all of the error-lines until I looked at them more closely.)

It turns out that my X58 chipset is not supported by Windows 10.  Both the ASUS and MS sites say my that motherboard is not compatible with Windows 10.  This is the first trouble that I have had with Windows10, so my build is doing pretty damned well for being "incompatible".  I do remember that the MS "Is your computer ready for win10" program did say "all OK" before I upgraded win7 to win10 "lo, those many updates ago". 

What

15 hours ago, RedBaird said:

I found a batch file that renamed three critical update data stores so that MS would 'refresh' them, but that did not help.  I had to rewrite the batch file to restore the data (and get my update history list back).  (OF Course, on the first run, I forgot to "run as admin" and was shocked at all of the error-lines until I looked at them more closely.)

What Batchfile did you find?

So you didn't repair the component store and source using Dism? 

Edited by Anton Chigurh

@Anton Chigurh could you provide more details on the Office License and installation method? (IE Digital download, came preinstalled, etc)
@RedBaird what were the error codes the Upgrade Assistant gave you?

Edited by Xernicus
typo fix

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

@Xernicus Office 365 Proplus account Digital download (what cd?)

Well the irony of it is that they don't sell DVD's with Office or Windows on them anymore. You just can't buy one officially. They still use some antiquated installer packages that date from 2003/2007 and hence issues like these arise. I can confirm that my installation of Office (I've used O365 for about 5 years now) was not affected by upgrading to v1804, so I'm not sure what happened but I'd assume a registry entry got a little fubar.

You could try rolling back the update, and seeing if the entry gets repaired- but if the only thing affected is Office I would download the setup executable from your O365 portal and run a repair installation.

4 hours ago, Xernicus said:

I would download the setup executable from your O365 portal and run a repair installation.

Agree and did do that also because 1803 just runs better in my case.